404 Jeffery v 416 Rigby head to head

The data is out dated and has been for years...The 416 Rigby has the same powder capacity as the 416 Wby and in fact the 416 Rigby is a 416 Wby with the belt cut off..Using max loads of IMR-4831 you can get up to 2700 FPS with the Rigby or Wby..and 2600 plus FPS with a good bolt action 404 Jefferys, but folks are still using old world stuff at 2100 for the 404...I used my 404 at 2400 FPS for years with 400 gr. bullets. I used 2300 iwth my 416 Rem with 450 gr. Woodleighs.. I used 2400 FPS with a 416 Rigby which I soon sold as it was a big cumbersome rife on a big action and weighted 11 pounds or close...I used my 404 at 2613 FPS but found I got better penetration and overall performance at 2400 FPS and it seemed to kill better.

I know I'm reviving an older post, but I'm curious where you get your load data for the Jeffery? I'm having one built now and am going to need some data.

I know I'm reviving an older post, but I'm curious where you get your load data for the Jeffery? I'm having one built now and am going to need some data.
I emailed woodleigh about loads for their bullets in my 375, 416 and 470. Always received a prompt courteous reply with great information from them. My manuals do not show much or anything for 416 Rigby 458 Lott and 470 Nitro.

Rcarpenter, a number of us 404 Jeffrey owners use a load developed by Von Gruff. He called it his "accuracy load." Others might be faster, but I have two 404(s) that shoot under an inch with it.
Using 84 Gr. of H-4350 pushing a 400 Gr. bullet out of a 24 " barrel you will get you 2300 FPS. When I Chronographed the load I got 2300, 2309 & 2306 FPS. Von Gruff used Woodleigh PP(s), I used Swift A Frames. Using the search function on AH you will find numerous references to this load.

@rcarpenter the was a lot of very positive feedback from quite a number of 404 Jeffery owners that used this load which was the result of extensive testing I did with my own rifle at the time, so as @Shootist43 has said this load is reliable, consistent and not subject to temp changes. Brass life is excellent and performance was everything and more (with better modern bullets) that gave this magnificent cartridge its storied place in the annals of Africa Hunting lore from and among the renowned hunters and in trade grade rifles of the game rangers which started and preserved the fine reputation the 404 Jeffery has earned and continues to grow.
The loads you quote by Atkinson are anything but and on the ragged side of everything sensible in a using hunting rifle.

Thanks guys! I'll definitely email the bullet manufactures for data. I haven't 100% settled on what I'm going to use but I've been thinking Cutting Edge for solids and either them or Barnes for expanding.

I appreciate that load data. I'll definitely give it a shot once I get my rifle back!

Have any of you messed with the 257gr safari raptors? Seems like they would make a good load for local deer/elk but I don't know if they'll stabilize well. My barrel I believe is a 1-14" twist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg