Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Another good article found by an AH member. I have both calibers in Ruger RSMs. The .404 has been to Africa enabling me to make a one shot kill on a buffalo. My .416 Rigby hasn't made it yet, but I hope to make it in the future. I am fully confident I can make a one shot kill on a buff with it if given the chance. Time will tell!

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
As a NRA member I get American Rifleman but not American Hunter.
Gonna have to start checking the website for other articles.
Thank you for the info and excellent article.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
The author of the article, Phil Massaro, is a member of AH and an occasional poster.

Does anyone know what bullets are in the photo in the article and what size Allen wrench is needed? :whistle:

416rigby_inset2.jpg

Attachments

• 416rigby_inset2.jpg
    416rigby_inset2.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 134

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
The author of the article, Phil Massaro, is a member of AH and an occasional poster.

Does anyone know what bullets are in the photo in the article and what size Allen wrench is needed? :whistle:

416rigby_inset2.jpg
I believe they are Cutting Edge Safari Raptor and they look wicked good.
I believe they use a 5/16 or 11/32 allen key to tighten them up (y)

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Yet another boost for the venerable old 404 Jeffery. Now that The Montana Rifle Company has them as a standard offering I hope more AH members will get the bug. Guys looking for a "working" DG rifle need look no further.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
I've got mine in the works. Tom Petty called me today with an update and it should be here by September. He said he was going to handle it himself and that it would be a "show rifle." That's what my MRC 06 is and it is a real beauty. Those guys are a pleasure to work with.

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
My vote is the 416 Rigby.

drew416

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA, SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Namibia.
In this case I'd go with the 404 BUT if I were making a custom rifle in this league I would actually go with something even more obscure. I would build a .425 Westly Richards, just to be different. In it's original loading it will do everything the 404 and all the 416's will with exception to the 416 Weatherby offering.

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I find this subject quite entertaining. We all have our favourites, I have more experience with deer calibre rifles but the same applies. Everyone will shout their corner and say why their choice is best but fact of the matter is if the shot is placed well they'll all do the job.

I liked the look of the Rigby as it seems to be quite a flat shooter for plains game. But when you look at the specs the difference is a couple of inches of drop, which when you're shooting at a target the size of a dinner plate matters very little!

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
I have both, and have shot both in Africa. Each has taken buffalo and hippo, among other things. My only real observation is that the .416 kicks harder than the .404, but I'm not convinced that it really hits any harder (although the data proves otherwise, but that difference strikes me as not terribly meaningful in everyday life). Apart from that, I would be more than happy to have either one if I was lost in the bush.

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Tom Petty called me today........

Wow. I'm impressed. I thought Tom Petty, Won't back down, so he was Free Fallin, and Learning to Fly, Into the Great Wide Open, with An American Girl, going to Mary Jane's Last Dance, while Running Down a Dream, cause his Guitar Gently Weeps! But I may just be having a Breakdown with a Refugee or Rebels.:)

Sorry. My mind goes off the rails occasionally.

RayAtkinson

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI Dallas
Hunted
RSA, Botswana, CAR, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Kenya way back when, and a few others that I can't remember.
The data is out dated and has been for years...The 416 Rigby has the same powder capacity as the 416 Wby and in fact the 416 Rigby is a 416 Wby with the belt cut off..Using max loads of IMR-4831 you can get up to 2700 FPS with the Rigby or Wby..and 2600 plus FPS with a good bolt action 404 Jefferys, but folks are still using old world stuff at 2100 for the 404...I used my 404 at 2400 FPS for years with 400 gr. bullets. I used 2300 iwth my 416 Rem with 450 gr. Woodleighs.. I used 2400 FPS with a 416 Rigby which I soon sold as it was a big cumbersome rife on a big action and weighted 11 pounds or close...I used my 404 at 2613 FPS but found I got better penetration and overall performance at 2400 FPS and it seemed to kill better.

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
I believe they are Cutting Edge Safari Raptor and they look wicked good.
I believe they use a 5/16 or 11/32 allen key to tighten them up (y)
I think the Raptors come with optional nozzle insert turning them into a Spitzer out of the barrel and a hollow nose on impact.

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
The data is out dated and has been for years...The 416 Rigby has the same powder capacity as the 416 Wby and in fact the 416 Rigby is a 416 Wby with the belt cut off..Using max loads of IMR-4831 you can get up to 2700 FPS with the Rigby or Wby..and 2600 plus FPS with a good bolt action 404 Jefferys, but folks are still using old world stuff at 2100 for the 404...I used my 404 at 2400 FPS for years with 400 gr. bullets. I used 2300 iwth my 416 Rem with 450 gr. Woodleighs.. I used 2400 FPS with a 416 Rigby which I soon sold as it was a big cumbersome rife on a big action and weighted 11 pounds or close...I used my 404 at 2613 FPS but found I got better penetration and overall performance at 2400 FPS and it seemed to kill better.
That's interesting Ray, thanks. The .423 450gr factory ammunition loads seem to hover around the 2150fps mark - I'm wondering the reason for this. I don't handload but a lot of my friends do :)

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
Cutting Edge bullets are awesome. The Raptors do massive damage and the base drives straight!
Their 257gr Flat Base Raptor for the .404j looks awesome. Wish I could find some more data like mv and energy - mv must be over 2700fps ?

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
In this case I'd go with the 404 BUT if I were making a custom rifle in this league I would actually go with something even more obscure. I would build a .425 Westly Richards, just to be different. In it's original loading it will do everything the 404 and all the 416's will with exception to the 416 Weatherby offering.
Ah I love the smell of nostalgia in the morning .... :)

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
The more I read about this rifle & performance the more I like it. For those of us who have used a stripper clip, great!. Also easy to handload using .404J cases and Woodleigh bullets. Ballistics seem to fit it inbetween the .404J and .416Rigby. Damn ! that's another charismatic blast from the past on my bucket list. If you build one, please post lots of photos. Thanks (I think)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorthyList

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?