Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Hello folks,

Hope this finds everybody well.

I just got my 404 Jeff back from the smiths with some sympathetic improvements.

Now I have also got some reloading dies!

I have

Seating Die
Resizing Die
Expanding Die

Made by a company called North Devon Firearm Services.

What I don't have is a crimp die which I think might be worth it for what is quite a light weight 404J.

Anyone got any ideas?

Anyone think it would be a terrible idea to try using a 44 mag crimping die? (6 thou of an inch in 423 vs 429 for bore size and maybe even less difference due to brass thickness?)

KR,

Scrummy

Lee will make a 404 Jeff crimp die on a custom basis. You have to send them a dummy round and it takes a month or two.

The problem is I’m in the uk so sending a dummy round not so easy

The problem with using a .44 Mag crimp die is that the shoulder of the 404 brass prevents the case from getting to the crimp ring. One that has the crimper close to the entrance may work. But I don't know if the slightly larger diameter would provide enough crimp to make it workable.

My .416 has a much shorter neck than the 404 and I have never seen a bullet set back despite leaving a cartridge in the magazine while firing 10 rounds. The rifle weighs a bit over nine pounds. If your expander ball is .001" to .002" smaller than bullet diameter I predict you will have no trouble.

Cheers,
Walt

Yes, if i interpret correctly, both my .458 and .416 aren't set up to be crimped...the neck sizing is tight and that's a lot of bullet surface area contacting the inside of the neck (not to mention full, compressed powder charge,) so never any issue without crimping. Where that might pay off is if submerged in water, although the aforementioned may do the trick! You could get a different size collet (for your existing full or neck sizer die) and neck size a bit tighter, if necessary, in lieu of the crimp...Also less of an issue in a double-gun, but i'm assuming you're using a bolt with a magazine.

Hornaday seating die will do a crimp if adjusted properly, not sure how available they might be in the UK.

Agree with above.
I load a bullet with cantilever grooves. If you get your Brass to end in one of the grooves a normal die works even better as 'crimping' tool, if set up correctly.

@Scrumbag

I had Lee make a custom crimp die for my .470NE - Lee's order form for the dies says they will not return dummy rounds to international customers; so unless the UK has a law against shipping an inert round to the U.S. I think you will be OK.

Hello folks,

Hope this finds everybody well.

I just got my 404 Jeff back from the smiths with some sympathetic improvements.

Now I have also got some reloading dies!

I have

Seating Die
Resizing Die
Expanding Die

Made by a company called North Devon Firearm Services.

What I don't have is a crimp die which I think might be worth it for what is quite a light weight 404J.

Anyone got any ideas?

Anyone think it would be a terrible idea to try using a 44 mag crimping die? (6 thou of an inch in 423 vs 429 for bore size and maybe even less difference due to brass thickness?)

KR,

Scrummy
Did you check with Brownells, UK?

A single piece of empty brass with no primer is fairly innocuous, I'd at least try sending one to Lee. They made a Factory Crimp Die for my 404 a couple of years ago. If necessary, I'll send them an inert piece of new Norma brass that has been run through a Full Length Sizing Die and trimmed to your specified length. They can send you the FCD when finished. If you have any trouble trying to do this from England send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help out. I talked to the guy in their "custom shop" when I had Lee make my FCD, he was a very accommodating fellow.

You can try removing the expander when resizing - or set up to roll crimp. We do this with Peregrine Solid bullets.

A single piece of empty brass with no primer is fairly innocuous, I'd at least try sending one to Lee. They made a Factory Crimp Die for my 404 a couple of years ago. If necessary, I'll send them an inert piece of new Norma brass that has been run through a Full Length Sizing Die and trimmed to your specified length. They can send you the FCD when finished. If you have any trouble trying to do this from England send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help out. I talked to the guy in their "custom shop" when I had Lee make my FCD, he was a very accommodating fellow.
That is so very kind! I will see what is possible but might well come back to you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elkreaper17

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois