Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Hello folks,

Hope this finds everybody well.

I just got my 404 Jeff back from the smiths with some sympathetic improvements.

Now I have also got some reloading dies!

I have

Seating Die
Resizing Die
Expanding Die

Made by a company called North Devon Firearm Services.

What I don't have is a crimp die which I think might be worth it for what is quite a light weight 404J.

Anyone got any ideas?

Anyone think it would be a terrible idea to try using a 44 mag crimping die? (6 thou of an inch in 423 vs 429 for bore size and maybe even less difference due to brass thickness?)

KR,

Scrummy

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
Lee will make a 404 Jeff crimp die on a custom basis. You have to send them a dummy round and it takes a month or two.

Scrumbag

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
The problem is I’m in the uk so sending a dummy round not so easy

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
The problem with using a .44 Mag crimp die is that the shoulder of the 404 brass prevents the case from getting to the crimp ring. One that has the crimper close to the entrance may work. But I don't know if the slightly larger diameter would provide enough crimp to make it workable.

wswolf

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, Western Montana Fish & Game Association
Hunted
Zimbabwe
My .416 has a much shorter neck than the 404 and I have never seen a bullet set back despite leaving a cartridge in the magazine while firing 10 rounds. The rifle weighs a bit over nine pounds. If your expander ball is .001" to .002" smaller than bullet diameter I predict you will have no trouble.

Cheers,
Walt

C.W. Richter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
Yes, if i interpret correctly, both my .458 and .416 aren't set up to be crimped...the neck sizing is tight and that's a lot of bullet surface area contacting the inside of the neck (not to mention full, compressed powder charge,) so never any issue without crimping. Where that might pay off is if submerged in water, although the aforementioned may do the trick! You could get a different size collet (for your existing full or neck sizer die) and neck size a bit tighter, if necessary, in lieu of the crimp...Also less of an issue in a double-gun, but i'm assuming you're using a bolt with a magazine.

Proneshooter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Argentina, Zimbabwe x 2, South Africa, Wyoming, Montana, North & South Dakota, Texas
Hornaday seating die will do a crimp if adjusted properly, not sure how available they might be in the UK.

bones

Reaction score
Media
Agree with above.
I load a bullet with cantilever grooves. If you get your Brass to end in one of the grooves a normal die works even better as 'crimping' tool, if set up correctly.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?