400 H&H

One of my favorite bumper stickers "I still miss my ex but my aim's improvin"

@zephyr I am wondering if you and your 400 H&H have returned from your safari? I would love to hear about the trip :D Beers:

Like some others here I got on the .400 H&H from Duke McCaa at Gulfbreeze. I have a Dakota 76 Safari that I ordered to my specifications and it is great. I've worked up loads with 400 gr TSXs and 400 gr Northfork Solids (.411 diameter) using Varget. I shot a group this morning with 3 of each that was just over an inch for all 6. I getting right at 2375 fps for both. Initially I used some .410 diameter Northforks and they shot fine also. One thing I ran into was with the CH dies I could size down the cases enough for the .410 diameter bullets from Northfork or Hornady, I got a set of Hornady dies they will size the neck down enough to use the .410 bullets. It's a great cartridge that feeds exceptionaly well with a long neck for a good grip. It has the advantage of fitting in the same size action on a Dakota as a .375 and will hold 4 in the magazine. I'll be taking mine to Tanzania next month to hopefully try out on a couple of buffalo.

Hi

Did you end up taking the 400 H&H? How was the hunt?

Check out the hunt report ....
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...n-the-save-with-roger-whittall-safaris.40307/
I shot my Eland with the 400H&H and a CEB 370gr Raptor at about a 60yards pretty much one shot and done except for the finisher. I waited for the Bull to move into a small clearing and shot it from the sticks, when the Bull bucked from the shot I ran the bolt and was on him as he ran across the clearing, as I pressed the trigger I ran out of movement in the sticks and my swing stopped missing behind. Fortunately the Bull did not go far and he stopped then slowly laid down. The take away from this encounter is to get off the sticks for the second shot.
The 400 is such a neat cartridge and a joy to shoot, it is even more fun to carry with out a scope attached.....
I really enjoyed shooting my Buff and Wildebeest with Iron Sights...... If and when I go back again and my eyes will let me I will shoot only Iron Sights and will bring my Double and either my 400 or 458 Lott as a back up.....
I take the month of October off, Dog and I chase Woodcock and Grouse in our New England Coverts, the offer still stands if you want to come to VT to shoot 400's after October or next spring when you get your 400 up and running ....

the offer still stands if you want to come to VT to shoot 400's after October or next spring when you get your 400 up and running ....

I recently drove out to QB and paid attention to how close the boarder really is. I definately have to make the trip down. And, very kind of you to offer.

I believe that @hidalgo also recently hunted with a 400 H&H. I hope he had success.

I used my .400 H&H on 3 buffalo in Tanzania 2 were 1 shot kills however on one of them a bull we had been trying to get for 4 days started to move before I could shoot and I hit him to for back. I shot him again as he ran in the rear and then he went into some really thick stuff. We followed the trail for about 150 yards going very slow when he charged us at about 35 feet, the hit twice with his .577 and hit him at least once (shot twice) before he knocked me down. Fortunately I held onto my rifle and got another shot as he went after the PH who was behind a tree doing a speed reload( the 2 trackers were up the tree) I hit him in the jaw and he came back at me and I shot him I’m the ear while on my back, the PH then put 2 in his head. They litterly had to pull me out from underneath the bull, fortunately most of the blood on me was from the buffalo although they almost stripped all my clothes off checking to make sure I did not get hooked. My shins were pretty beat up from him stepping on me and my right hand was banged up I think from his boss. Pretty exciting but the rifle and cartridge performed well although I was a little disappointed in the one Northfork solid we we recovered.

I used my .400 H&H on 3 buffalo in Tanzania 2 were 1 shot kills however on one of them a bull we had been trying to get for 4 days started to move before I could shoot and I hit him to for back. I shot him again as he ran in the rear and then he went into some really thick stuff. We followed the trail for about 150 yards going very slow when he charged us at about 35 feet, the hit twice with his .577 and hit him at least once (shot twice) before he knocked me down. Fortunately I held onto my rifle and got another shot as he went after the PH who was behind a tree doing a speed reload( the 2 trackers were up the tree) I hit him in the jaw and he came back at me and I shot him I’m the ear while on my back, the PH then put 2 in his head. They litterly had to pull me out from underneath the bull, fortunately most of the blood on me was from the buffalo although they almost stripped all my clothes off checking to make sure I did not get hooked. My shins were pretty beat up from him stepping on me and my right hand was banged up I think from his boss. Pretty exciting but the rifle and cartridge performed well although I was a little disappointed in the one Northfork solid we we recovered.
:E Eek:. I am so glad you emerged ok! Holy moly

Interesting, @Royal27 had a similar disappointment. Do you have a photo?

That would be interesting.

@hidalgo ,

I'd love to hear more about what happened with the bullet and why you were disappointed.

Damn Hidalgo you got my blood pressure up just reading. Sounds like you need to buy a couple lottery tickets. Glad you got through it. Like the old joke 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I also am interested in why you were disappointed in north fork performance. Big congrats on hunt. I wonder which one of three you will remember longest

The barrel is in the hands of the gunsmith. I want to put an Express sight on it, but I am torn about what regulation. It would only really function as a backup as I anticipate a low power variable to be the main targeting apparatus. It is a fairly flexible cartridge, so I am thinking a single for 100 yards. Or, would 50 be a better distance as the backup is only vital with DG?

The one Northfork solid that was recovered was bent at about 35 degrees with the nose riveted. I used the Northforks because of the flat nose but am going to change over to some 400 gr Barnes round nose solids I have. All the 400 gr Barnes TSXs I used performed perfectly all but one were pass throughs the one that was recovered looks like a bullet ad.
I used Northfork Solids in my .470 earlier in the year to take a bull elephant and the 2 that were recovered after I shot at the rear of the elephant with my 3rd and 4th shot looked perfect after penetrating 6-7 ft in the elephant one of which broke the hip.
Jacques, of the the three bulls I killed in Tanzania the one that charged me hat the smallest horns, it’s the only one I got mounted.

Pheroze...
With most of the bullets you will be using sighting in at 100yrd will leave you less than a 1/2 inch high at 50. If you sight in at 50 you will be around 1/2 low at 100 and less than 1/2 low at 25 your choice. If you see yourself pulling off your scope to follow up a wounded Buff in the thick stuff 50 would be my choice.
Here is a good ballistic sight you can play with to help you with your decision.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/

Hildago ....
Of the 7 CEB bullets that I shot during the course of my hunt in August all but one passed through the animal. The 7th was a solid that was the insurance shot that I put into the Buff after he laid down. This shot was a quartering away shot approx between 15-20yards at a slight downward angle shooting at the opposite shoulder. I found this bullet while helping to skin the Buff just under the skin lying sideways. You could see the damage to the shoulder and ball joint and it shows just how rugged these animals are.
SX3eViV.jpg

When I questioned CEB about this bullet I was told that ball sockets on a Buff can do this to a bullet.
I have shot only one Ele that was a tuskless in 2012 with my 450 NE and a 480gr CEB solid. It was a frontal brain shot approx 15yrs slightly down hill the bullet passed exited behind it's shoulders and for all I know may still be going.. Barnes use to make a flat point solid I am told they switched back to a round nose because some folks were complaining about feeding problems. Which in my mind is a rifle problem not a bullet problem. If you want Max penetrating from a solid stick with a flat nose design.

Attachments

• SX3eViV.jpg
    SX3eViV.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 212
My bullet was a little more bent and deformed than that, I’ll dig it out and try and post a pic. I don’t know where on the buffalo it was recovered from as the skinner found it. I did try some CEB Solids as initially they were some of the only solids available in .411 diameter. They have a larger meplat than the Northforks and did not feed quite as well, which as you say is a rifle issue.

Hildago
Seems only right to mount the buff with serious cahones be sure to point out hole in his ear to all anti hunters Pheroze I agree 50 yard rear and front sight combo should be bout right. Cheers. Jacques

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg