400 H&H

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Well the two cartridges by H&H came out at the same time. Reasonably is the key word here and I don't know where you can get the gear unless someone is willing to share costs which would be the way I'd go or just steal stuff from a mate which we do from time to time. Obscure is expensive but think of the bragging rights: "Oh you've got a .400 H&H? well I've got the .465 H&H suck on that!"
I saw a video clip of an Australian PH on here somewhere, where he mentioned his rifle was a .465 H and H. Can't remember where I saw it though. It's all doable, just at what cost? I've seen the bullets for it here, but nothing else.

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
I saw a video clip of an Australian PH on here somewhere, where he mentioned his rifle was a .465 H and H. Can't remember where I saw it though. It's all doable, just at what cost? I've seen the bullets for it here, but nothing else.
That's the thing, I haven't been able to find any factory loads for this caliber so it appears the demand is not there (for factory loads), but then it's not alone. Thank heavens for handloaders who can roll their own in any caliber they so choose whether obsolete or not, and we can thank them for keeping alive some good oldies by continuing to make ammunition. Some of those would include the resurgence of the .404Jeffery and many others.

jacques smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I usually send cases and bullets to Lonnie at superior ammo and he does his magic. Kinda like a chefs soup. I know when I love it but may not know what’s in it. Soooo sorry no magical formulas to pass along

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA

TTundra

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
@Pheroze 400 and 375. Didn't realize I cut it off.
16174709422674363373102087749732.jpg

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Lets see I have in the safe a
300H&H
375H&H
400 H&H
All based on the same cartridge, the 465H&H is based on the 378 Weatherby case.
I guess that leaves only the 275 H&H to be put in the safe....
Other than a few .22s I have nothing smaller than a .30 cal in the safe ......:whistle:
Zephyr, I really like the way you thinks .I am following your lead..but in to another caliber:
The 404 Jeffery and found the following interesting calibers I am currently buying the reamers/dies and gauges to build them..
My 404 Jeffery Mauser will feel comfortable alongside these two brothers from another mother.. :ROFLMAO: (y)
The 9.3 x 70 DWM based on the original case of a 404 Jeffery
The .338 Imperial Magnum based on the original case of the 404 Jeffery.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
Zephyr, I really like the way you thinks .I am following your lead..but in to another caliber:
The 404 Jeffery and found the following interesting calibers I am currently buying the reamers/dies and gauges to build them..
My 404 Jeffery Mauser will feel comfortable alongside these two brothers from another mother.. (y)
The 9.3 x 70 DWM based on the original case of a 404 Jeffery
The .338 Imperial Magnum based on the original case of the 404 Jeffery.
I think the various Dakota cartridges are all based on the 404 J too....you better get started on that buying spree!

Nevada Mike

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Pierre van der Walt has a chapter on the .400 H&H in his book, African Dangerous Game Cartridges. I think his son shoots one on game. He (Pierre) seems to like the cartridge... he has a number of loads gathered from various sources. You might check that out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MargaretFr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.