400 H&H

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Well the two cartridges by H&H came out at the same time. Reasonably is the key word here and I don't know where you can get the gear unless someone is willing to share costs which would be the way I'd go or just steal stuff from a mate which we do from time to time. Obscure is expensive but think of the bragging rights: "Oh you've got a .400 H&H? well I've got the .465 H&H suck on that!"
I saw a video clip of an Australian PH on here somewhere, where he mentioned his rifle was a .465 H and H. Can't remember where I saw it though. It's all doable, just at what cost? I've seen the bullets for it here, but nothing else.

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
I saw a video clip of an Australian PH on here somewhere, where he mentioned his rifle was a .465 H and H. Can't remember where I saw it though. It's all doable, just at what cost? I've seen the bullets for it here, but nothing else.
That's the thing, I haven't been able to find any factory loads for this caliber so it appears the demand is not there (for factory loads), but then it's not alone. Thank heavens for handloaders who can roll their own in any caliber they so choose whether obsolete or not, and we can thank them for keeping alive some good oldies by continuing to make ammunition. Some of those would include the resurgence of the .404Jeffery and many others.

jacques smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I usually send cases and bullets to Lonnie at superior ammo and he does his magic. Kinda like a chefs soup. I know when I love it but may not know what’s in it. Soooo sorry no magical formulas to pass along

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA

TTundra

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
@Pheroze 400 and 375. Didn't realize I cut it off.
16174709422674363373102087749732.jpg

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Lets see I have in the safe a
300H&H
375H&H
400 H&H
All based on the same cartridge, the 465H&H is based on the 378 Weatherby case.
I guess that leaves only the 275 H&H to be put in the safe....
Other than a few .22s I have nothing smaller than a .30 cal in the safe ......:whistle:
Zephyr, I really like the way you thinks .I am following your lead..but in to another caliber:
The 404 Jeffery and found the following interesting calibers I am currently buying the reamers/dies and gauges to build them..
My 404 Jeffery Mauser will feel comfortable alongside these two brothers from another mother.. :ROFLMAO: (y)
The 9.3 x 70 DWM based on the original case of a 404 Jeffery
The .338 Imperial Magnum based on the original case of the 404 Jeffery.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
Zephyr, I really like the way you thinks .I am following your lead..but in to another caliber:
The 404 Jeffery and found the following interesting calibers I am currently buying the reamers/dies and gauges to build them..
My 404 Jeffery Mauser will feel comfortable alongside these two brothers from another mother.. (y)
The 9.3 x 70 DWM based on the original case of a 404 Jeffery
The .338 Imperial Magnum based on the original case of the 404 Jeffery.
I think the various Dakota cartridges are all based on the 404 J too....you better get started on that buying spree!

Nevada Mike

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Pierre van der Walt has a chapter on the .400 H&H in his book, African Dangerous Game Cartridges. I think his son shoots one on game. He (Pierre) seems to like the cartridge... he has a number of loads gathered from various sources. You might check that out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HansGuerci

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?