375 H&H Mag scope

I think that if you had a 3-12X scope on a 375, then you would have to have detachable mounts if you were following up in the brush.

I actually think in any thick brush situation a scope is going to be a problem.

not if the power can be turned down to 1x or 1.5x tops. i would have detachable if possible but some dont, so this would be the best option in that scenario. there is also the scenario where you dont have time to take the scope off and look for someone to carry it for you as everyone has headed off , or its quicker to leave the scope on and crank it down low .

I am planning on headingto Africa in the spring of 2014 and am buying a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H Mag for the trip. I was wondering what would be the best size scope to put on it? I am thinking of a Leupold 2-7 or 3-9 but I am not sure. As I live and hunt in Alberta I would like the rifle to be versatile enough for Elk and Moose as well. Any suggestions?
Hi.
I have the March 1-10x ill.-super.

not if the power can be turned down to 1x or 1.5x tops. i would have detachable if possible but some dont, so this would be the best option in that scenario. there is also the scenario where you dont have time to take the scope off and look for someone to carry it for you as everyone has headed off , or its quicker to leave the scope on and crank it down low .

I agree with you.

yup but if you noticed they were talking about turning the power down to 3x and using that. :)

I bet you that some of us don't shoot worse or slower with a 3x scope than with open sights at short range and in a hurry :biggrin:

But of course if you feel that you will do better with open sights, then use detachable mounts :)
But in my opinion you need ghost rings to be faster than with a 1.25x or someone trained with a 3x.

i've got the schmidt&bender zenith 1,1-4x24 and it works perfectly on PG and DG.Schmidt and bender scopes are top quality but expensive.

I bet you that some of us don't shoot worse or slower with a 3x scope than with open sights at short range and in a hurry :biggrin:

But of course if you feel that you will do better with open sights, then use detachable mounts :)
But in my opinion you need ghost rings to be faster than with a 1.25x or someone trained with a 3x.

I used nothing but iron (aperture rear) sights for years just because I hunted with nothing but antique Winchesters....but my 59 year old eyes can no longer get the job done all the time any more. I much prefer a fixed 2.5x scope. They are light, simple, and you can actually see better if shooting in brush than when using iron sights. If your eyes are good and you like iron sights, then a fixed 4x with detachable mounts might be the best compromise.

i have peep sights without the aperture screwed in on both my .458 lotts, and i am not too bad with the irons on my 9.3 double ;)

Well the only scopes I have on my 375 are the old Leupold VX-7 1.5x6 on my 375 RUM, and the VX-6 1x6 on my 375 ruger great scopes.

Leupold-1-6x24-VX-6-30mm-Riflescope-P49435

Ed

Funny....I had the same question a few months back. I went with a Leupold 1.5-5 with a heavy duplex reticle on my 375. I used Warne QR mounts in case I wanted to run two different scopes. I think I'm fine out to 200 with what I've got now. This gun would primarily be a DGR. I think if you plan on taking dangerous game you really need the low power option. That's my 2 cents.

WB-NZ welcome to AH, you have good taste in expensive nice scopes ;)

+1.
Swarovski makes great scopes. So do Zeiss.
High quality scopes are expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion.
I have some guns with other brands of scopes, but I have German made Zeiss on the 3 of my rifles and I will only continue to buy Zeiss scopes(not the Conquest line) when I buy new scopes.
After using Zeiss or Swarovski you get spoiled :)

+1.
Swarovski makes great scopes. So do Zeiss.
High quality scopes are expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion.
I have some guns with other brands of scopes, but I have German made Zeiss on the 3 of my rifles and I will only continue to buy Zeiss scopes(not the Conquest line) when I buy new scopes.
After using Zeiss or Swarovski you get spoiled :)

Yes! "You get spoiled" with the hunting results because you can see so much more AND that is the whole point of it. Price of a good scope fades out fast, memorable hunting moments never do. Just keep it simple (KISS) and have just one of all that really works and keeps working: boots, rifle & scope & best ammo, binos and be happy and successful hunter.

Yes! "You get spoiled" with the hunting results because you can see so much more AND that is the whole point of it. Price of a good scope fades out fast, memorable hunting moments never do. Just keep it simple (KISS) and have just one of all that really works and keeps working: boots, rifle & scope & best ammo, binos and be happy and successful hunter.

It good way to go hunting wise. I know I bought cheap initially in life but you learn why things are cheap and what quality is really worth.

I use Swarovski on everything. I do have a Leupold/Barrett BORS combo because that is the way it came, but the optics aren't close to the Swarovski.
I even put a Z3 on my son's .22 for our first trip to Africa. Our PH said he'd never seen a Swarovski on a .22 before, but my son made a fantastic shot a some kind of rabbit in very low light at about 80 yards with it, and it all made sense.

Zeiss (not the cheap stuff made for the US price point), Leica, Swarovski all make excellent glass. For me, life is easy. If I need a rifle scope, the answer is Z6i, the only question is what power and what reticle. For plains game or leopard, I chose 1.7-10, for dangerous game, the 1-6.

Cheap or decent glass works fine at high noon. High noon is usually siesta time: I shoot way more game at dusk than at high noon. If it costs me an extra $2000 for a Z6i and it means I can shoot for 30 minutes after sunset rather than 20 minutes after sunset, how long does it take to pay for itself given the cost of a day in Africa and the fact that an extra ten minutes at dusk increases my productive shooting time by at least 25%? I figure it pays for itself on the first 2 week trip and then I'm money ahead for the rest of my life.

I was wondering if you we're going to chime in Bert! lol
You can't shoot, what you can't see.

I have a 2-7x Leupold on my .375 RUM that I've used on two South African and one Zimbabwe hunts. I had no problems on shots from 30 to 348 yds, including a Vaal Rhebok at 200+ yds from a prone position.

Keep it set on a low setting, and practice, practice, practice with it before your trip.

why not get rid of scopes and just use the perfectly good iron sights that have been on the barrel for a few years....AHHHH you lot that side of the water like smooth barrels .... ok just having a laugh ......

I use Swarovski on everything. I do have a Leupold/Barrett BORS combo because that is the way it came, but the optics aren't close to the Swarovski.
I even put a Z3 on my son's .22 for our first trip to Africa. Our PH said he'd never seen a Swarovski on a .22 before, but my son made a fantastic shot a some kind of rabbit in very low light at about 80 yards with it, and it all made sense.

Zeiss (not the cheap stuff made for the US price point), Leica, Swarovski all make excellent glass. For me, life is easy. If I need a rifle scope, the answer is Z6i, the only question is what power and what reticle. For plains game or leopard, I chose 1.7-10, for dangerous game, the 1-6.

Cheap or decent glass works fine at high noon. High noon is usually siesta time: I shoot way more game at dusk than at high noon. If it costs me an extra $2000 for a Z6i and it means I can shoot for 30 minutes after sunset rather than 20 minutes after sunset, how long does it take to pay for itself given the cost of a day in Africa and the fact that an extra ten minutes at dusk increases my productive shooting time by at least 25%? I figure it pays for itself on the first 2 week trip and then I'm money ahead for the rest of my life.

sheez so you get an extra 10 mins of shooting after sunset, and that gives you 25 percent more shooting in a day, you seem to shoot a lot of things on the cusp.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg