.375 H&H copper ammo?

I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for the TSX 300 gr. When I was looking for recommendations for a 30 cal bullet, the general consensus was that the TSX was far inferior to the TTSX (at least for African plains game). Is there not a similar view regarding the .375 300 grain bullets? I.e. Would you allrrecommend the TTSX bullet over the TSX bullet for .375 H&H? Or isn't there a TTSX in 300 grain?
Someone correct me, but I was under the assumption that that Barnes doesn't make the Tipped TTSX bullets for the big boy diameters. So anything .375 and fatter, you only get TSX.

But no one hold me to that info.

Edit: I WAS WRONG, IGNORE THE ABOVE!!!!

I'm wrong, just looked it up, there are plenty of options online for 375 and 416 TTSX tipped.
 
I always prefer lead cored bullet designs whereever legal or whenever I can get them. But I can readily vouch that the 300Gr Barnes TSX (fired from a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum) is magnificent medicine for hunting hippopotamus bulls on land.
IMG_1524.jpeg
IMG_3379.jpeg

Before employing the Barnes TSX on my two most recent hippopotamus hunts, I always exclusively preferred solid bullets for hunting hippopotamus on land. Because nothing tests bullet penetration & structural integrity the way a body shot on a full grown hippopotamus bull can (aside from frontal brain shots on bull elephants).

Now, that said… I’d personally avoid employing them for hunting the great cats (esp. a broadside heart-lung shot on a lion or leopard that is shot over bait unless if your point of aim happens to be the shoulder bone/scapula itself). I’d also avoid them in slower calibers such as the .470 Nitro Express or .500 Nitro Express or the .577 Nitro Express or in the .458 Winchester Magnum (unless you employ a bullet weighing no heavier than 450Gr in the latter). In the slower caliber, they do (now & then) fail to expand properly & simply bore clean through like a solid.
IMG_3498.jpeg

This 570Gr Barnes TSX (for instance) was fired from a .500 Nitro Express Federal Premium Cape Shok factory load into a Cape buffalo’s heart-lung region from a broadside position behind the shoulder. It incurred absolutely zero expansion whatsoever.

My good friend white hunter Mark Sullivan has had expansion issues with the .585 Barnes TSX (being fired out of his .577 Nitro Express Heym Model 88B) on at least three separate occasions till now.

So my recommendation is to only employ the Barnes TSX in high velocity calibers (such as .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .378 Weatherby Magnum, .404 Jeffery, .416 Rigby, .416 Remington Magnum, .458 Lott, .450 Rigby Magnum, .450 Dakota, .460 Weatherby Magnum, .500 Jeffery or .500 A Square).
 
FWIW - 270 gr has a bit less recoil, about 8" less drop at 400 yards, and still is only 100 ft-lbs below the 300gr at 400 yards. Both are around 1800 ft-lbs at that distance which is easily within conservative needs for elk.

My blaser r8 puts a 270gr over varget at 0.688" at 200 yards off a bench.

1749075211988.png
 
I used 235 grain Barnes TSX on antelope in Namibia..mostly oryx.. They performed well...great expantion...large wound channel..

But it seems they are not the thing in typical DR velocities...thanks for this info Habib..
 
A few years ago I shot a nice cow elk at 200 yds quartering away with a hand loaded 270gr barns X in my .375. The bullet hit just in front of the near hip & exited just behind the off front leg, the elk went 30yds & fell.
You'll be fine with Barns.
Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,175
Members
169,915
Latest member
calfenspomgro1984
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top