375 H&H Ammo?

I have just acquired a 375 H&H. I appreciate the input I got from this site in the choice between H&H and Ruger in 375. Now I am trying to get ammo. Based on everything I’ve found researching this site I am gonna avoid the hornady dgx. I am down to Federal premium TBBC or Barnes Vortex safari TSX flat base. Both in 300 grain. Of those 2 options what are everybody’s thoughts/recommendations. Thanks for any input.
My first 6 buffalo were taken with Barnes TSX, great ammo. I did however just return home from taking a cape buffalo bull and cow with Hornady DGX bonded, neither buffalo went 30 yards, it's quality ammo.

Fatback, buy any ammo that can get hold of relatively cheap and use it to get use to the rifle.
Or reload and get components if this is your first bigger bore it will take some use to it.

But when you have mastered the rifle and caliber its difficult to leave it in the safe as it can do it all.
Just bear in mind when hunting the velcoties are on the high side with factory ammo so use ammo or a bullet that can handle it.
I’d second what Frederik says. Buy the cheapest ammo you can buy and practice getting used to the caliber. When I first took my 375 to the range to set the scope and get some practice my first thought after the first shot was
” Oh Lord, what have I done?” Previous experience was with 6,5x55, 7x57 etc.
I’ve seen the 375 commented as “ at the upper limit of acceptable recoil”. Off the bench I don’t consider firing the 375 as fun. Off sticks its ok but you know you’re firing it.

I use Speer Grand Slam 285 grain becuse I found a bunch of them cheap.
I must have bought a big bag of factory second 285 Grand Slams from the same source.
After reading reports from some that they are not good for anything and other reports that they are great I decided to give them a try. In South Africa I used them to take zebra, and giraffe. They performed very well on these medium (elk) sized animals. I would not used them on buffalo.

I'd highly recommend buying a box of few different kinds of ammo and seeing what works best in your rifle. Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Federal TBBC and Norma Oryx are excellent choices. If you are looking for solids, the Woodleigh Hydroshock or CEB Safari Solids are amazing but you might need to have them custom loaded.

For target ammo I use Priv Partisan 300 grain because they are inexpensive. Just make sure you sight in with your premium bullets and don't worry so much if the Privi doesn't shoot to the same POI.

I recently bought 4 boxes of Barnes TSX 300 grain bullets from Battle Hawk Armory for $3.67 per cartridge. A really good deal. More good deals can be found at AmmoSeek.com

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 11.29.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 11.29.21 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
I have 5 boxes of Federal 270gr sp. PM me if interested.

I have just acquired a 375 H&H. I appreciate the input I got from this site in the choice between H&H and Ruger in 375. Now I am trying to get ammo. Based on everything I’ve found researching this site I am gonna avoid the hornady dgx. I am down to Federal premium TBBC or Barnes Vortex safari TSX flat base. Both in 300 grain. Of those 2 options what are everybody’s thoughts/recommendations. Thanks for any input.
Although pricey I'd also recommend Swift ammo loaded with their 300grn A-Frame.

Although pricey I'd also recommend Swift ammo loaded with their 300grn A-Frame.
I haven’t been able to locate any Swift A frames. I do not reload so I am looking for factory loaded ammo. I have heard good things about the Swift A frames though and will keep an eye out.

I have 5 boxes of Federal 270gr sp. PM me if interested.
Newboomer,

I appreciate the offer. At this point I am wanting to use a 300 grain bullet. If that changes I’ll reach out. Thanks.

Don't dismiss the Hornady DGX - my PH last year said he had never seen one fail to penetrate and expand properly.

They shot the most accurately in my .416 CZ 550 (I tried Barnes and Federal, as well).

I love the .375 H&H and think you made the best decision over the Ruger.

What do you plan on hunting with it?

I have taken Kudu and Gemsbok with my .375 H&H, but I don't think you need crazy expensive ammo in a .375 for plains game. (I used old Winchester Silvertips, and they did just fine)

Don't dismiss the Hornady DGX - my PH last year said he had never seen one fail to penetrate and expand properly.

They shot the most accurately in my .416 CZ 550 (I tried Barnes and Federal, as well).

I love the .375 H&H and think you made the best decision over the Ruger.

What do you plan on hunting with it?

I have taken Kudu and Gemsbok with my .375 H&H, but I don't think you need crazy expensive ammo in a .375 for plains game. (I used old Winchester Silvertips, and they did just fine)
Definitely plan on hunting buffalo with it. Probably hippo as well. I’d like to feel comfortable enough with it to be able to shoot PG as well kudu, eland, etc… I would also like to hunt bison here in the states with it at some point.

Use the most accurate and highest quality ammo you can get for buffalo.

I would look for the best quality solids and expanding ammo that shoot to the the same POI at 100 yards.

Hornady beat all the rest, in my rifle.

I hit my buffalo at 70-80 yards with a good shot with DGX.

That would have been all that was necessary.

I put a DGS through his chest at close range, just in case.
I put another DGX in him to ensure at solid heart shot.

I stood ready to keep shooting with DGS's if needed.

The first DGX did the job.

I haven’t been able to locate any Swift A frames. I do not reload so I am looking for factory loaded ammo. I have heard good things about the Swift A frames though and will keep an eye out.
The last Swift A-Frames I picked up were custom loaded by Safari Arms Ltd. His prices are very reasonable and was a pleasure to do business with.

Barnes 300 tsx worked great for me on buf !

You might want to check this out. Less than the price of the components for loaded ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg