375 H&H 350 gr

sgt_zim

AH ambassador
Joined
Mar 26, 2017
Messages
5,559
Reaction score
22,225
Location
Richmond, Texas
Media
33
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
3
Australia/NZ
1
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
South Africa, Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
For my wife's Ruger #1H...

Is it worth it to move up to 350 gr NF SS, or stick with the 300 gr TSX already sitting on the shelf? I haven't loaded any of the Barnes yet.

If I decide to move up to the 350s, I have Varget, H4350, IMR 4350, and RL15, would be shooting for 2100 - 2150 at the muzzle.

I've got her PG load dialed in, 270 gr interlocks at 2310 or so. She shoots those well off of sticks. I'm just trying to spare a bit of recoil if she decides a kudu, nyala, and zebra are not enough. And I suspect those won't be enough. She didn't even want to hunt the first time we went, then decided after I'd closed out my list she actually wanted to hunt a zebra.

I'm working under the theory that if you give a moose a muffin, he'll want jam and butter and juice to go with it. That seems to be her pattern after almost 15 years of marriage.
 
Me and two buddies are taking 350gr Woodleigh RNSN HD for buff in Zim August 2027, their primary rifles and my back up for the .470ne; we also have them hitting same POI as 350gr NF FPS for the tuskless their after.

We’re using Norma brass, Fed215M and H4350

Kevin Robertson and my PH from last hunt speak highly of them.
 
The heavier North Fork bullets is the way I would go for buffalo, but there is going to be quite a bit different point of impact than the PG load you have I would guess.
 
Most buff are shot with a 375. Most of those with 300 gr bullets at factory speed ~ 2550 FPS. Bullet placement is the most important factor. If she is shooting the 270s well, build from there, being cautious to not let her get hurt. A well placed, well constructed 270 gr bullet at 2350 beats a poorly placed 350 gr bullet at 2150, 7 days a week. Twice on Tuesday.

Heavier bullets recoil higher.

Don’t over think it
 
No. Absolutely no need or reason to other than your own ego :)
 
'All over the map with that inquiry, but first read KR's Africa's Most Dangerous...then..hmm I believe the 375 can push the 350 to 2350 (I'll post load data several days later after hunting/working.) It behaves like a 416 factory round (but, Will the 270s and 300s get the job done?) Yes, they will. Esp. with company if things (likely NOT) get out of hand. The advantage of the lighter (270-300) bullets in 375 is PG at longer ranges. IF strictly buffalo-go for the 350s (and the Woodleigh for example-not monometal is more dense and much shorter and you can achieve the magic 2,450 fps of the 416s et al!) ;) Try the 235 Accubonds and you can all shoot like a euro tower driven bird festival! lol
 
'All over the map with that inquiry, but first read KR's Africa's Most Dangerous...then..hmm I believe the 375 can push the 350 to 2350 (I'll post load data several days later after hunting/working.) It behaves like a 416 factory round (but, Will the 270s and 300s get the job done?) Yes, they will. Esp. with company if things (likely NOT) get out of hand. The advantage of the lighter (270-300) bullets in 375 is PG at longer ranges. IF strictly buffalo-go for the 350s (and the Woodleigh for example-not monometal is more dense and much shorter and you can achieve the magic 2,450 fps of the 416s et al!) Try the 235 Accubonds and you can all shoot like a euro tower driven bird festival! lol

For a wife's rifle, the recoil and confidence part matters more than chasing.416 numbers. A 300 TSX she shoots calmly is plenty serious medicine.
 
My Woodliegh 350s hit 1 in low when my 260s are zeroed at 100, all good. I also have heard that the 350s hit like a 416 -- so be it
 
Most buff are shot with a 375. Most of those with 300 gr bullets at factory speed ~ 2550 FPS. Bullet placement is the most important factor. If she is shooting the 270s well, build from there, being cautious to not let her get hurt. A well placed, well constructed 270 gr bullet at 2350 beats a poorly placed 350 gr bullet at 2150, 7 days a week. Twice on Tuesday.

Heavier bullets recoil higher.

Don’t over think it
The factory ammo I've seen tested doesn't generally reach even 2500.
 
The factory ammo I've seen tested doesn't generally reach even 2500.
Thats more than enough for any animal walking the earth with the right bullet and placement. Higher the velocity more the recoil the more time to place the second shot , IMO ofcourse.

I will not move to 350 grains solids unless hunting elephant and or Rhino on land.
300 grain TSX is proven out of the 375 to kill all DG, including Cape Buffalo. I will however not use them for Elephant and Rhino where solids will do the trick.
 
Thats more than enough for any animal walking the earth with the right bullet and placement. Higher the velocity more the recoil the more time to place the second shot , IMO ofcourse.

I will not move to 350 grains solids unless hunting elephant and or Rhino on land.
300 grain TSX is proven out of the 375 to kill all DG, including Cape Buffalo. I will however not use them for Elephant and Rhino where solids will do the trick.
No plans for solids on buffalo, just talking about NF SS soft.
 
The factory ammo I've seen tested doesn't generally reach even 2500.
Barnes and Swift advertise those fps and I'm sure they're some others as well. Most I've seen are at least 2450 with a 300 grain bullet. More than enough to get the job done. Modern bullets are definitely better than they used to be, but I still like to stay at least on par for caliber and usually heavy for caliber. I no longer use 375's, but when I did I could never tell any difference in recoil between 270 and 300 grain loads.
 
Thanks for the input so far.

This is an exercise to manage recoil, to keep it between 35 and 40 ft lbs.

If I stick with the 300, the plan is for an MV of around 2300 or 2350

Muzzle energy for a 350 at 2150 is almost 3600 ft lbs, for a 300 at 2300 is a bit over 3500.

Both of those loads are calculated right at 35 ft lbs of recoil.

On a 100 yard zero, there is no practical difference in ballistic arc out to around 150 yards or so.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,670
Members
169,813
Latest member
Yheikjhrya
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top