375 Bullet Velocity

with too much vel and the better bullets it is easy to get pass thru on a side shot animal , which can be a problem.
You need to define better bullets. I think Swift A Frame is one of the best. With the perfect mushroom it makes, I don’t think you will have issues with pass through with a 300 grain bullet at any 375 velocity on large game.

I've never been to Africa and never killed anything close to buffalo sized game but I do have a question. Why are we trying to push a 300gr bullet to velocities necessary to deliver buffalo killing power at 250 yards when I assume most people aren't shooting at buffalo 250 yards away? Maybe I've read too much Capstick. I thought buffalo hunting was a relatively close in affair. Not necessarily 10 yards but certainly not much more than 100 yards. What am I missing?

As to pass thru read your Doctari and note he down loads the 375 HH because of pass through. His rec is a max of 2400 FPS for buff.
He may have shot and seen shot more then most of us on this forum.

As to pass thru read your Doctari and note he down loads the 375 HH because of pass through. His rec is a max of 2400 FPS for buff.
He may have shot and seen shot more then most of us on this forum.
But he also recommends heavy for caliber bullets, 350+ gr in 375

I pretty much replicate the Barnes Vor-Tx factory load for 300gr...

Barnes 300gr TSX @2540 fps...

Not horrible on the shoulder, plenty fast to get solid performance from a TSX projectile... and shoots accurately in my rifle...

I've never been to Africa and never killed anything close to buffalo sized game but I do have a question. Why are we trying to push a 300gr bullet to velocities necessary to deliver buffalo killing power at 250 yards when I assume most people aren't shooting at buffalo 250 yards away? Maybe I've read too much Capstick. I thought buffalo hunting was a relatively close in affair. Not necessarily 10 yards but certainly not much more than 100 yards. What am I missing?

I shot mine at about 30 yards... The vast majority I have heard people speak of here, at DSC, etc has been inside 60 yards, with a handful stretching out to 100...

I don’t personally know anyone that’s taken a shot on a buff at greater than 100 yards.. although I’d guess some of our PH members and Africa residents probably know of some occurrences...

You are thinking of a 375 as strictly a buffalo cartridge, but it’s really an all around cartridge. I will shoot plains game out to 300 yards with confidence. It’s not so much the killing power, more so the better trajectory. I hope people would choose not to shoot a buffalo much beyond 100 yards.

Because some use it for PG as well and take one type of bullet and one gun to Africa

The all American need for speed.....

A goal I am working towards is finding a load that will print a 260-270gr bullet within an acceptable distance for the 300gr bullet. In reading some of the old African tales, it seems the British ammunition companies would offer several different bullets that printed close to the same point of aim. Now I know that they weren't much for shooting at unwounded game beyond 200 yards, but still, it might be nice to say shoot a 300gr Partition and a 260gr Partition and have them close at 100 yards, but know that with the higher velocity less holdover will be required with the 260s at say 250 yards due to the increased velocity. I know some like the one and done bullet, say a monometal 270, or just the premium 300gr bullets, and honestly a 300gr at 2400fps would be easy to shoot to 250 yards with enough practice. Ran some of my old loads across the chronograph on Saturday, my 260gr Partition loads averaged right around 2850, and the 300gr loads were at 2627. As I have gotten older, the 300gr loads admittedly are not as much fun from the shooting bench.

Bonk, you are spot on I believe 2400-2500 fps is perfect and if you wnat to shoot plainsgame load a 250-270gr premium bullet and let fly at 2600fps.

A goal I am working towards is finding a load that will print a 260-270gr bullet within an acceptable distance for the 300gr bullet. In reading some of the old African tales, it seems the British ammunition companies would offer several different bullets that printed close to the same point of aim. Now I know that they weren't much for shooting at unwounded game beyond 200 yards, but still, it might be nice to say shoot a 300gr Partition and a 260gr Partition and have them close at 100 yards, but know that with the higher velocity less holdover will be required with the 260s at say 250 yards due to the increased velocity. I know some like the one and done bullet, say a monometal 270, or just the premium 300gr bullets, and honestly a 300gr at 2400fps would be easy to shoot to 250 yards with enough practice. Ran some of my old loads across the chronograph on Saturday, my 260gr Partition loads averaged right around 2850, and the 300gr loads were at 2627. As I have gotten older, the 300gr loads admittedly are not as much fun from the shooting bench.
it is not hard to get loads whereby a 300 gn bullet is dead on at 100, and a 270 at the same sight setting will be dead on at 200.
this can work well.
300 swift will outperform 300 partition to the extent it can be like using 2 different rifles.
bruce.

Note: it’s late and I’m not adding anything helpful :A Stirring:

300gr @ 2900fps+. (378 wby or 375 chey tac)

That’s cooking with grease;)

That’s cooking with grease;)
On that I would like to see what a TSX, Swift or Woodleigh would look like in a baffle box test at 20 yeards at that velocities.

My very first experience with Barnes Mono bullets was back in 2000 client came with a new all powerfull 300RUM he was a fine shot but it took 7 shots to finish his gemsbuck. Went back home called Barnes and they explained to him speed was too high and instead of opening the bullet caved in acting like solids.

I suppose after a few incident s like that Barnes created the Tipped TSX.

I thought .375 chey tacs were basically designed for long range shooting at 2+ miles with some of the rifles weighing around 70 pounds. Not sure how it would work on a safari unless one would mount it on a vehicle. ;)

1622525428401.png

I thought .375 chey tacs were basically designed for long range shooting at 2+ miles with some of the rifles weighing around 70 pounds. Not sure how it would work on a safari unless one would mount it on a vehicle. ;)

View attachment 404932
You are correct, but it’s a slightly larger case than a 378 weatherby, but with a more modern case design. The parent cartridge, the 408 Chey tac, is a necked down and modified 505 Gibbs.

I figure in a custom hunting rifle would be no worse than the 378, and either could be down loaded to 375 H&H or 375 Wby for DG or left hot for long range (read: add muzzle break and bipod).

My recommendation was more for a fun “what if” of maximizing versatility than a practical application.

Seems to me that the choices are pretty simple. Velocity should be in the manufacturers range of velocities. Too much and your bullet becomes a flat coin, too little and it is a solid.

You need the Goldilocks velocity-just right for a perfect mushroom. As for longer distance, surely no one is advocating 200 to 300 m shots on buffalo and elephant ? So then we are dealing with smaller animals and so lighter bullets with their higher velocity and flatter trajectory make the most sense. Lower recoil than a 300 gr at full power as well. cant see much to argue about ???

View attachment 404932

Just imaging the savings !

With one of those you could do your Africa hunt without leaving Ft Lauderdale :sneaky:

When I developed load data for my wildcat 375, I named it 375 KATN Mag, the Speer manual I used gave 2600 fps for the 300gr bullet. 2700 for a 270gr and the Speer 235gr 2985 fps for the 375 H&H which I used as the goal. In my necked up 300 WM case IMR 4064 gave those velocities out my 26 inch barrel. Never any pressure issues.
A few years back a shooting buddy brought the Cutting Edge bullets to my attention so I ordered a box of 300 gr match/hunting bullets with a 0.750 BC. A guy at the company said he would run a Quickload data sheet if I sent him my case specs. I did and the data said I could get over 2700 fps. This bullet OAL is way too long to fit in the magazine but will fit in the magazine as the top shell and feed properly. My 300gr Hornady load data still worked with this bullet. The buddy has access to a range with targets out to 1360 yards so I tried that home made rifle and cartridge nearly getting a hit. It was most satisfying to get to play with it that way. My range has 500 yard steel targets so a couple times I've tried those and other bullets but only got a hit or two. It isn't the best prone rifle nor was it ever expected to be used past 300 yards.
I hunted Coues Deer once with it, took the 235gr bullet loads with me, since it was the only hunting rifle I had at that time. No shots fired.
The 300gr Hornady RN bullet is the most accurate. That old bullet has been replaced by the DGS & DGX and they are not as accurate for me. The 270gr Hornady is hunt worthy but is not as accurate as the 300gr RN. I would have no qualms about hunting non dangerous game with the Speer 235gr bullet. Maybe not the heaviest plains animals though. I am not confident of the bullet construction for that application.
I believe Capstick said in one of his books that he shot prairie dogs with his 375 to get tuned up for African hunting season.
I watched a guy at a range one day alternating between a 375 RUM and a 204 Ruger. He was going to hunt Bear but think he was using the 204 Ruger between rounds of the 375 to avoid getting a flinch started.
No matter what we have we need to enjoy it.

When I developed load data for my wildcat 375, I named it 375 KATN Mag, the Speer manual I used gave 2600 fps for the 300gr bullet. 2700 for a 270gr and the Speer 235gr 2985 fps for the 375 H&H which I used as the goal. In my necked up 300 WM case IMR 4064 gave those velocities out my 26 inch barrel. Never any pressure issues.
A few years back a shooting buddy brought the Cutting Edge bullets to my attention so I ordered a box of 300 gr match/hunting bullets with a 0.750 BC. A guy at the company said he would run a Quickload data sheet if I sent him my case specs. I did and the data said I could get over 2700 fps. This bullet OAL is way too long to fit in the magazine but will fit in the magazine as the top shell and feed properly. My 300gr Hornady load data still worked with this bullet. The buddy has access to a range with targets out to 1360 yards so I tried that home made rifle and cartridge nearly getting a hit. It was most satisfying to get to play with it that way. My range has 500 yard steel targets so a couple times I've tried those and other bullets but only got a hit or two. It isn't the best prone rifle nor was it ever expected to be used past 300 yards.
I hunted Coues Deer once with it, took the 235gr bullet loads with me, since it was the only hunting rifle I had at that time. No shots fired.
The 300gr Hornady RN bullet is the most accurate. That old bullet has been replaced by the DGS & DGX and they are not as accurate for me. The 270gr Hornady is hunt worthy but is not as accurate as the 300gr RN. I would have no qualms about hunting non dangerous game with the Speer 235gr bullet. Maybe not the heaviest plains animals though. I am not confident of the bullet construction for that application.
I believe Capstick said in one of his books that he shot prairie dogs with his 375 to get tuned up for African hunting season.
I watched a guy at a range one day alternating between a 375 RUM and a 204 Ruger. He was going to hunt Bear but think he was using the 204 Ruger between rounds of the 375 to avoid getting a flinch started.
No matter what we have we need to enjoy it.
The old Hornady RN are indeed an accurate bullet, I have about 150 of them squirrel holed away, not sure why since I started using Nosler Accubonds, Partitions, and Sierra 300gr for hunting in North America. I should load up a box of the old Hornadys just for a day at the range. The DGX bullets group between 1.5 and 2 inches at 100 yards, the Accubonds and Sierras will do better than half that all day every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross