.360 Remington Buckhammer!

I may be mistaken here. I think I was reading about early attempts to convert earlier Enfields to .308, not the No.4.

I was all over the place last night looking things up and probably had a senior moment....

Just looking at Skennertons book and he clearly states the No. 4 was adequate to contain .308 pressures.

I know also they made No.1's in .308 at Ishapore but with better steels. I had one of those and it shot fine. Still not a place to hot rod but with factory pressures they are OK.
Speaking of having senior moments, where's Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen? Maybe he's trying to figure a way to get a Buckhammer to OZ? LOL

Speaking of having senior moments, where's Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen? Maybe he's trying to figure a way to get a Buckhammer to OZ? LOL
Probably trying to figure out where I saw my bad info.. LOL. He'll be around to chastise me soon enuf.

Probably call me a silly vegemite!!:ROFLMAO:

I
Just sayin'...

nhja26A.jpg

Roger
I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

I may be mistaken here. I think I was reading about early attempts to convert earlier Enfields to .308, not the No.4.

I was all over the place last night looking things up and probably had a senior moment....

Just looking at Skennertons book and he clearly states the No. 4 was adequate to contain .308 pressures.

I know also they made No.1's in .308 at Ishapore but with better steels. I had one of those and it shot fine. Still not a place to hot rod but with factory pressures they are OK.
Modern alloys instead of carbon steel. Receiver only, if I recall correctly.

Wouldn’t they chambered in 308 later on?
@Flewis
Many thousands were rebarreled to 308. The No4 went on to become the 39 and 41 I think with a heavier barrel and shortened hangaurd. These conversations were proofed with proper 308 proof loads. In India the No1 Mk111 was built with better steels and a beefier action to 308.
An Australian company AIA made a new version with better steel in the original No4 and were proof tested to over 125,000psi.
The basic design is brilliant, fast to operate, 10 round mag and soldier proof. They come in 3 strengths tho No1 Mk111, No4 and P14. Used within their parameters they are an unrivalled battle implement.
Bob

Sadly yes, senior times they are. Be 70 this summer.
@sestoppelman
As long as the senior moments don't turn into KRAFT moments.
Kan't
Remember
A
Fucking
Thing
Then you will have problems.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Probably trying to figure out where I saw my bad info.. LOL. He'll be around to chastise me soon enuf.

Probably call me a silly vegemite!!:ROFLMAO:
@ sestoppelman
I wouldn't be so mean my friend, I to have senior moments. It's a bitch getting older.
Bob

Used within their parameters they are an unrivalled battle implement.
Bob
With that caveat the M-1 Garand starts looking a lot better than any SMLE.

@yumastepside & @ZG47 the .35-30 isn't a straight wall cartridge. It's just a slight bottle neck ala .450/.400. I wouldn't want to have to defend that to a conservation PO-lice officer in libtard land who is probably going off a strict list and wouldn't like my .458 Lott being in the woods either.

@yumastepside & @ZG47 the .35-30 isn't a straight wall cartridge. It's just a slight bottle neck ala .450/.400. I wouldn't want to have to defend that to a conservation PO-lice officer in libtard land who is probably going off a strict list and wouldn't like my .458 Lott being in the woods either.
@Forrest Halley
Many years ago they put the old SMLE up against a garand in a,10 round shoot out of speed and accuracy. The SMLE won hands down. After 8 shot the garand need reloading. The 10 round mag of the SMLE allowed it to win. The Americans weren't happy.
Bob

They do h
@Forrest Halley
Many years ago they put the old SMLE up against a garand in a,10 round shoot out of speed and accuracy. The SMLE won hands down. After 8 shot the garand need reloading. The 10 round mag of the SMLE allowed it to win. The Americans weren't happy.
Bob
They do have a fast slick action.

@Forrest Halley
Bob
"The Americans weren't happy". Until they grabbed a BAR and shot the 20rnd mag in 4 seconds? LOL

"The Americans weren't happy". Until they grabbed a BAR and shot the 20rnd mag in 4 seconds? LOL
@CoElkHunter
So the British grabbed the BREN gun about the same weight as the BAR and let loose 30 rounds in the same time.
British win again.
The only thing they couldn't compete with was the big 50 Browning MG so they bought those.
British 2, USA 1.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

I’m with Bob on the SMLE and Bren, but I would much rather have a Thompson than a Sten gun. The The British did buy those as well. For a fair comparison, the true counterpart to the Sten was probably the M3A1.
The M1 carbine was a special thing that everybody wanted.

Agreed but … I was still waiting for that wildcat to be mentioned. The state hunting administrations would be better off doing spot safety checks at road ends; to discourage shitheads from loading chambers before heading out and encouraging them to unload completely when they return to the track between their hunting area and the road end. That, however, would require actual outside work with a practical maximum of 20 minutes for lunch and 10 minutes per coffee break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg