.360 Remington Buckhammer!

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
OMG! ANOTHER new cartridge. A necked up and blown out .30-30 case. And how is this different than the .350 Legend? It NEVER ends! Makes me want to go out and buy a Creedmoor! LOL

In this case, I’m not altogether against it. As I live in OH, a straight wall state, most people are using .357 mag, .44 mag and .45/70 lever rifles or have gone to the .350 Legend. What I find somewhat humorous is that a lot of those who shoot the .45/70, complain about the recoil but always hunted with 12ga slugs with similar recoil.
With the .350, 200 yds is stretching it. The .360 sounds like it is legitimately a 200yd round, especially if a pointed bullet is used in a single shot. It also sounds like it has enough punch for black bear, whereas a .350 Legend wouldn’t be one of my choices for bears.
IMO: Resurrecting the .375 Win would be a good option.

In this case, I’m not altogether against it. As I live in OH, a straight wall state, most people are using .357 mag, .44 mag and .45/70 lever rifles or have gone to the .350 Legend. What I find somewhat humorous is that a lot of those who shoot the .45/70, complain about the recoil but always hunted with 12ga slugs with similar recoil.
With the .350, 200 yds is stretching it. The .360 sounds like it is legitimately a 200yd round, especially if a pointed bullet is used in a single shot. It also sounds like it has enough punch for black bear, whereas a .350 Legend wouldn’t be one of my choices for bears.
IMO: Resurrecting the .375 Win would be a good option.
To me the 444 is the best bet where it can be used, good to 250 or so.

To me the 444 is the best bet where it can be used, good to 250 or so.
@Flewis
My 444 marlin on a No4 Mk2 smle was a real thumper. A 265gn ftx at 2,450 fps left nothing to be desired on big sambar stags upto 270kg. I could load it hotter than the marlin lever. The limiting factor was case capacity.
Bob

@Flewis
My 444 marlin on a No4 Mk2 smle was a real thumper. A 265gn ftx at 2,450 fps left nothing to be desired on big sambar stags upto 270kg. I could load it hotter than the marlin lever. The limiting factor was case capacity.
Bob
It is a real killer. There for awhile many people were building them on bolt guns for Ohio. My smith did several on savage action and shillen barrels. I wish I had your old girl, sound like a fun rifle. Frank

It is a real killer. There for awhile many people were building them on bolt guns for Ohio. My smith did several on savage action and shillen barrels. I wish I had your old girl, sound like a fun rifle. Frank
@Flewis
It fed 5 rounds as quick as you could cycle the bolt a threw the empties like shelling peas. Problem was it was only 7.5# scoped and loaded. Those 280gn Woodleigh rnsn at 2,350fps put big hurt on game.
Bob
20191105_120646.jpg
20191105_120003.jpg

It was accurate as well

@Flewis
Frank the target is a load 2gn over recommended for the malin. 53gn gives the ftx even more balls.
55gn 2219 behind the 280gn Woodleigh was awesome.
Just be prepared for the recoil when you pull the trigger. My mate Greg wasn't. He has a single shot 444 and thought mine would be similar. Man did he get a surprise when that barrel went skyward with the recoil off the bench. Funny as hell the look on his face told the story.
Hang onto your cape batman this is going to be fun.
These loads were SAFE IN MY RIFLE ONLY. NEVER USE IT IN A MARLIN LEVER ACION OR ANY OTHER RIFLE

Well the ole 356 Win was a better cartridge just not straight walled. Now this new round is brought out by Remington who are past masters at killing off any new cartridge they bring out. So I guess it will last 2 years???

@Flewis
Frank the target is a load 2gn over recommended for the malin. 53gn gives the ftx even more balls.
55gn 2219 behind the 280gn Woodleigh was awesome.
Just be prepared for the recoil when you pull the trigger. My mate Greg wasn't. He has a single shot 444 and thought mine would be similar. Man did he get a surprise when that barrel went skyward with the recoil off the bench. Funny as hell the look on his face told the story.
Hang onto your cape batman this is going to be fun.
These loads were SAFE IN MY RIFLE ONLY. NEVER USE IT IN A MARLIN LEVER ACION OR ANY OTHER RIFLE
Very nice. Shoots great and very lite. Perfect.

OMG! ANOTHER new cartridge. A necked up and blown out .30-30 case. And how is this different than the .350 Legend? It NEVER ends! Makes me want to go out and buy a Creedmoor! LOL

If the 350 Buckhammer is a necked up 30/30 and a 30/30 is a necked down 38/55, then what us the difference between a 38/55 and a 350 Buckhammer?? I suspect the only difference is that the Buckhammer is loaded hotter since the 38/55 started as a black powder target cartridge. Buffalo Bore sells hot loaded 38/55 cartridges that are only for use in recent Marlin and Winchester rifles and not an 1880s Ballard.

If you don’t mind sharing your gunsmith I’m also in Ohio and would be interested in a reputable 444 in a bolt gun

If the 350 Buckhammer is a necked up 30/30 and a 30/30 is a necked down 38/55, then what us the difference between a 38/55 and a 350 Buckhammer??
360 Buckhammer uses .358 bullets 1.8" case & 2.380" COL 180gr@2350fps/2300 ft-lbs or 200 gr@2200 fps/2200 ft-lbs and the .38/55 uses .378 bullets 2.085" case and 2.510" COL 255gr@1600fps/1400ft-lbs or buffalo bore 250gr@2000fps/2200 ft-lbs.
Other that one's being factory loaded hotter to and the other is being factory loaded to 35,000psi/38,500 for the buffalo bore.
Basically the .360 is a Lott version .2" longer of the .357 Maximum.

Who thinks up these names, Buckhammer! I think @Glenn Slaven and I just might get rich off of our wildcatting! Lol.

If you don’t mind sharing your gunsmith I’m also in Ohio and would be interested in a reputable 444 in a bolt gun
@AustinH48
My SMLE 444 was done in Australia by Keith Bridgeman of Sprinter arms. Any decent gunsmith can put a new barrel on an SMLE. USE ONLY THE NO4 ACTION as this is the stronger action. Use a 1:20 twist barrel and you could load 400gn cast to 1,600 to 1,700fps.
Then you just build a new magazine box to go inside the original. All easy jobs.
Bob

@AustinH48
My SMLE 444 was done in Australia by Keith Bridgeman of Sprinter arms. Any decent gunsmith can put a new barrel on an SMLE. USE ONLY THE NO4 ACTION as this is the stronger action. Use a 1:20 twist barrel and you could load 400gn cast to 1,600 to 1,700fps.
Then you just build a new magazine box to go inside the original. All easy jobs.
Bob
Bob,
You oughta have a .444 built on an Arisaka 99 action? You could load it till the primers blow out. LOL

Bob,
You oughta have a .444 built on an Arisaka 99 action? You could load it till the primers blow out. LOL
@CoElkHunter
Need a longer case than that mate.
I could only get 55gn of powder before I ran out of case room to seat a 280gn.
Thought about the 405 win as a chambering in the No4. Right strength and mag lenght. If I did that tho I may not have needed a Whelen. Hush my mouth I'm glad I did the Whelen and learned more about reloading and safely increasing performance of older cartridges.
Bob

Yay another caliber?.......
No, just another CARTRIDGE in the same caliber as dozens before it. But hey, they need to sell more rifles in the new cartridge, so it'll NEVER end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross