35 Whelen pre-64 model 70 project

Like I said earlier I have a Remington 700 classic I believe it has a 24" barrel but not positive (I hate getting old) and when I started using it I used RL12 when that was no longer on the market I found data for RL15 started low and worked my way up every jump up made groups smaller stopped at 59gr because I was running out of space in case.
No sign of pressure.
Shawn

Because I can not be with out a project gun.... I picked up a Winchester pre-64, 1955 production, Model 70 barreled action in .270 win a month or so ago. What to do with it????......I went around and around and around.... Lots of possibilities???? Refinish it, leave it .270 and put a short stock on it for the kid??? Or, leave it in the back of the safe until I "need" it??? Or, rebarrel it and build a rifle I can use??? So, after much angst, reading load manuals, drinking merlot, reasearching google, drinking beer, talking to friends, shots of fireball, and finally have decided to build a 35 Whelen.
"The Plan" is to rebarrel the action to .35 Whelen with a 24" 1-14 twist medium contour stainless barrel with rear leaf fold down sights and a front hood sight. Have it all coated with Nitride flat black. Stock it with a HS Precision Kevlar/Composite Monte Carlo stock hydro dipped with wood grain, complete with checkering, black forearm tip, stock cross bolts, reproduction red Winchester butt pad and metal grip cap. Try to make it so it look like a cool traditional Supergrade as much as possible. Then dress it up by jewel the bolt, engrave/etch the bottom metal with a moose and install some AK Arms QD scope rings. I haven't decided on a scope yet.....probebly either a Swavarski to Leopold....
Taking it to the gunsmith next week. And then I can pick up some brass and reloading dies. Planning to start handloading 280 grain Swift A-Frames.... :)

View attachment 198029
I have a 35W I used with good success last year on PG in Namibia, it's a Nosler with a 1-14 twist, I used Barnes 225 grains TSX handloads. Considering the twist rate is the same as you are proposing in your project, it is going to be very interesting to see how it works with the 280 gr. A Frames, in terms of groupings. I didn't think that weight would be well stabilized by that twist.

Thanks for bringing the Nosler website to my attention. Here's the Nosler page you were trying to post. This data varies significantly from the 2002 Nosler 5th Edition. Even though this data uses a 26 inch barrel for testing, it still far exceeds all other data I've seen from all other reputable sources. I would approach these loads with caution and use a chronograph. Other pressure data I've looked at with a 225 bullet out of the 35 Wh. to 2600 fps in a 24" bbl indicate pressures with most powders approaching 52k psi. My own experience with two different rifles in 35 Whelen and 35 Whelen AI suggested to me that around 2600 fps (chronographed- I chronograph all may loads) is the practical limit I was comfortable with for a reliable hunting load. If anyone wants to fiddle around in the 60k+ psi range with these loads to achieve the "magic" 2800 fps so be it :)

View attachment 198847
The max load listed with 4064 / 225 gr. slugs works fine in my Nosler, with no signs of pressure using Barnes TSX, Nosler Accubonds, or Swift A Frames. Good accuracy.

My Rem has a 22" factory barrel
Correction when I posted a 22" barrel I was referring to what I refer to as a shootable the actual length is 24"

Because I can not be with out a project gun.... I picked up a Winchester pre-64, 1955 production, Model 70 barreled action in .270 win a month or so ago. What to do with it????......I went around and around and around.... Lots of possibilities???? Refinish it, leave it .270 and put a short stock on it for the kid??? Or, leave it in the back of the safe until I "need" it??? Or, rebarrel it and build a rifle I can use??? So, after much angst, reading load manuals, drinking merlot, reasearching google, drinking beer, talking to friends, shots of fireball, and finally have decided to build a 35 Whelen.
"The Plan" is to rebarrel the action to .35 Whelen with a 24" 1-14 twist medium contour stainless barrel with rear leaf fold down sights and a front hood sight. Have it all coated with Nitride flat black. Stock it with a HS Precision Kevlar/Composite Monte Carlo stock hydro dipped with wood grain, complete with checkering, black forearm tip, stock cross bolts, reproduction red Winchester butt pad and metal grip cap. Try to make it so it look like a cool traditional Supergrade as much as possible. Then dress it up by jewel the bolt, engrave/etch the bottom metal with a moose and install some AK Arms QD scope rings. I haven't decided on a scope yet.....probebly either a Swavarski to Leopold....
Taking it to the gunsmith next week. And then I can pick up some brass and reloading dies. Planning to start handloading 280 grain Swift A-Frames.... :)

View attachment 198029

Dropped it off with the gunsmith today :A Banana:He is ordering a Douglas XX barrel and going to clean up the action for me and fine tune the trigger.
After talking to him I have some more work to do to find a stock... we will see. It's all in the fun of the build!:)

Anybody need a used pre-64 .270 win barrel for cheep after he gets its off the action??

Dropped it off with the gunsmith today :A Banana:He is ordering a Douglas XX barrel and going to clean up the action for me and fine tune the trigger.
After talking to him I have some more work to do to find a stock... we will see. It's all in the fun of the build!:)

Anybody need a used pre-64 .270 win barrel for cheep after he gets its off the action??

My first 35 Whelen AI used a Douglas XX Barrel, and it shoots fantastic, although I only shoot cast in it. 300 Grn HP's that shoot into 1 (albeit quite large) hole.

My current project has some similarities to yours, although it will also be an Ackley version. I already have the AK QR rings and bases (which are fantastic), a 1.5-5x Leupold VX3i, and mine will be on a Post 64 CRF Action, in the current Featherweight configuration. I sent the factory barrel off to PacNor to have the contour duplicated (so I wouldn't have to do any inlet work). This one will be a 1:14, the prior was a 1:12. I should have it back in a few weeks. I'll be dialing this one in with 250 NPTs and RL15.

Can't wait to see yours.

Here is my latest update :)

The original plan was to find a good quality composite/kevlar type stock. So much for the best laid plans....
In my searches I came across a custom maple wood stock that I really liked. It resembled the new Winchester “shot show” model 70, but it had no checkering, was inletted for a pre-64 mod 70 action, and has rosewood tip and grip cap.
So I bought it..... And then sent it directly to Sherry Abraham at Custom Checkering to get it checkered. I was concerned about the checkering since maple wood is generally difficult to checker and can end up “fuzzy”.
Sherry had checkered a custom stock for my father several years ago and it turned out well, she was also the head checkerer for Kimber of Oregon before they moved to Montana. When they moved, Sherry stayed in Oregon and started her own business http://www.checkering.com/. So I had confidence in her and believed she would do a good job.

Yesterday I got back from Sherry:) and here are some pics...now to get it to the gunsmith so he can fit it after he gets the new barrel installed on the action....
ED7F4B1A-4458-4F14-9312-24E9ED9CEE3A.jpeg
1411FD05-64FD-41FA-94F3-F1631ADBB35A.jpeg
0BDB4E05-C634-452B-9AD5-6598508BDF54.jpeg
31F90D38-1D32-42C6-8F1A-1BAF4C9F5E11.jpeg

Here is my latest update :)

The original plan was to find a good quality composite/kevlar type stock. So much for the best laid plans....
In my searches I came across a custom maple wood stock that I really liked. It resembled the new Winchester “shot show” model 70, but it had no checkering, was inletted for a pre-64 mod 70 action, and has rosewood tip and grip cap.
So I bought it..... And then sent it directly to Sherry Abraham at Custom Checkering to get it checkered. I was concerned about the checkering since maple wood is generally difficult to checker and can end up “fuzzy”.
Sherry had checkered a custom stock for my father several years ago and it turned out well, she was also the head checkerer for Kimber of Oregon before they moved to Montana. When they moved, Sherry stayed in Oregon and started her own business http://www.checkering.com/. So I had confidence in her and believed she would do a good job.

Yesterday I got back from Sherry:) and here are some pics...now to get it to the gunsmith so he can fit it after he gets the new barrel installed on the action....
View attachment 217500 View attachment 217501 View attachment 217502 View attachment 217503

It's a lot of fun to find the parts and build the rifle! I am glad it is working so well for you. That rifle is getting a great vibe:cool:(y)

I'm not exactly sure what a "wallop" is but a 225 at 2800 fps out of a 35 Whelen is cooking. I've had both a 35 Whelen and a 35 Whelen AI and somewhere around 2600 fps with the 225 and 2500 fps with the 250, in both rifles, I started seeing early warning pressure signs. Proceed as you like- just my 02 cents.

The 225gn accubonds at 2,800 fps are walloping at close to 4,000 fps I know this because I load the same thing with 60.5 gn of Varget (adi2208) for 50fps more.
If you really want a screamer try up to 61gn cfe223 behind a woodleigh 225gn for 2,900 fps this will out you over the 4,000fpe.
This load is from Wayne blackells load from a disc. Safe in my rifle but work up
For a real thumper Speer list the 250 gnu hot core with cfe223 with 58-64 gnu for velocity of 2,450 up to close on 2,700fps.
I get 2,720 chronoed in my rifle. That really gets your attention when you pull the trigger.
I would like to try the Woodleigh 275gn or 310gn soft nose ore solid, I reckon they would put some hurt on the bigger critters.
Forgot I can load mine to coal of 3.4 inch and still miss the rifling. My rifle is a Stevens 200 with a 25 inch MAB(Australian) barrel
20191031_214852.jpg
20191122_214031.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Remington 700 classic built in 1987-1988 that has so much magazine space that I use only Nosler Accubonds in 225gr because it destroys all lead tipped bullets in two shots. I would love to tell you how much weight they retained but have never had one stop inside a animal.
In the 700 I load them way longer than col. The picture below is my 225 accubonds in 35 Whelen and my 375 Ruger with 200gr GS Custom. The 375 is at max col I know that my 35s won't fit in a 7600 pump.
Shawn

View attachment 198323
@shawn54
I to load my accubonds long 3.4 inches coal and still have room in the mag to go longer. My rifle has also been given a slightly longer throat. I have only recovered 1 accubond after hitting a kudu bull front on. The bullet was found in the ham after 5 feet of penetration.
The only other bullet I have recovered was a 225gn Woodleigh from a burchells zebra stallion.

@shawn54
I to load my accubonds long 3.4 inches coal and still have room in the mag to go longer. My rifle has also been given a slightly longer throat. I have only recovered 1 accubond after hitting a kudu bull front on. The bullet was found in the ham after 5 feet of penetration.
The only other bullet I have recovered was a 225gn Woodleigh from a burchells zebra stallion.
225 grain accubonds recovered from my kudu retained weight of 163 grains
20200123_133438.jpg

225 grain woodleigh PPSP from Burchells zebra retained weight of 175gn
20200409_085629.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what a "wallop" is but a 225 at 2800 fps out of a 35 Whelen is cooking. I've had both a 35 Whelen and a 35 Whelen AI and somewhere around 2600 fps with the 225 and 2500 fps with the 250, in both rifles, I started seeing early warning pressure signs. Proceed as you like- just my 02 cents.
@fourfive8
The wallop with a 225grain is 4,000fpe
The woodleigh 225grain PPSP @2,950fps is 4,300fpe nod the wallop with a 250grain Speer hotcore at 2,700fps is 4,000fpe.
These velocities are SAFELY available in the Whelen.
I had an AI and it needed up to 4 grains more powder just to get standard velocity. I found it to be the most useless AI conversion out. Just my thoughts Cheers
Bob.

"Our PHs and Outfitter were not familiar with the 35 Whelen when we got there, by the time we left they were "believers." "

The above quote is common for anything but the usual African cartridges. My PH for the critter in the image to the left was a bit more modern than some and when he saw what my .405 wcf with 400 grain Woodie did to my buff, he said "Next year we go to Moz for Big Buff". A quick study indeed.

Sorry there is no picture of the expanded Weldcore, but it shot through and was not recovered.
I lose more bullets that way.

My first 35 Whelen AI used a Douglas XX Barrel, and it shoots fantastic, although I only shoot cast in it. 300 Grn HP's that shoot into 1 (albeit quite large) hole.

My current project has some similarities to yours, although it will also be an Ackley version. I already have the AK QR rings and bases (which are fantastic), a 1.5-5x Leupold VX3i, and mine will be on a Post 64 CRF Action, in the current Featherweight configuration. I sent the factory barrel off to PacNor to have the contour duplicated (so I wouldn't have to do any inlet work). This one will be a 1:14, the prior was a 1:12. I should have it back in a few weeks. I'll be dialing this one in with 250 NPTs and RL15.

Can't wait to see yours.
@5shot
Try this load for your 250s mate
20200802_092147.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg