.338 win mag chrono work, Hello Bob!

I just starting working with my M70 338. I’m not home right now, so I can’t give you hard numbers. Speer has some really great load data with Reloader 26 and a 250 grain.

I am well under their max charge and pushing 2800 with a 250 gr partition. No pressure signs at all, but the velocity was telling me that I’ve got to be getting up there. So I suspended testing and need to do some 0.5 gr loads to work my way up. I would be absolutely thrilled if I can get 2800-2850 with a 250.

By the way, this powder also works great in 243 and data looks awesome for 279 Win.
Is yours one of the new ones, the Alaskan? Thats what I have and its a really good rifle.

Gents - I apologize for the late response for I have been away from my computer. My .338 is a .338 Jarrett built in Jackson, SC. Of course it has greater powder capacity than the Win .338. Can't ever go wrong choosing the Winchester .338 Magnum.

Is yours one of the new ones, the Alaskan? Thats what I have and its a really good rifle.
No, it would be mid-late 1990s vintage. Stainless steel/walnut sporter.

I have have seven of the “classic” M70s - 243, 25-06, 270, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 416 Rem Mag.

I would like to get an Alaskan In 375 H&H!

Thats quite a fleet! I really enjoy shooting my Alaskan .338, stock fits well, good pad, smooth action.
And its almost as powerful as Bobs .35 Whelen! :rolleyes: :A Outta:

If you look at my first post here, I was getting over 2800 with a 250 using R22.
I would have thought R26 would be a bit too slow to get full speeds.
I’m sorry, you sure did. Would you be comfortable to share the charge? I haven’t seen one that good from Reloader 22 in the manuals. I understand if you aren’t.
Looking at some of the load data, I wonder if ‘26 may actually be a little faster than ‘22?? Like I said, I have seen really good ‘26 data with heavy bullets in 243, 270, 338. But the data for 25-06 and 7mm RM is kind of lackluster - I use ‘22 in those cartridges.

Thats quite a fleet! I really enjoy shooting my Alaskan .338, stock fits well, good pad, smooth action.
I think once the 35 Whelen beats the 338 WM into a bloody pulp, it is going to set is sights on the 470 NE!!!

just kidding, Bob.

I love M70s. This weekend I was in a local Scheels store, which is a pretty good sized “premium” sporting goods chain in the central/western US. Not a single M70. Seems like everything here has gone AR-based or 1500 yard sniper rifle. I’m afraid that they (M70s) are going to go away again. And this time, maybe for good.

Buy ‘em while you can.

@sestoppelman
Your a shit stirrer mate but I still love you. If people like the 338 they have my sympathy. Why have a belted modern fire breather whe a nice slim non belted old age geriatric cartridge can equal it.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Pity I can't use emojs
Bob

Bob I really like my Sako 338 Winchester magnum

Image1656829518.319619.jpg

I love stainless steel and walnut. What is the one in the middle?

Four of my Model 70s are stainless steel and walnut.

I love stainless steel and walnut. What is the one in the middle?

Four of my Model 70s are stainless steel and walnut.

Left
Sako 270
Middle 22/250 Sako
I changed the stock last year on the 270.
The soft rubber stock just got very sticky and was delaminating.
Replaced by a genuine Sako walnut stock,

Was able to get my M70 Alaskan with 25" bbl. to the range today and do some chrono on various loads from medium weight to heavy. These loads have shown to be accurate with the exception of the 275 gr Speer load which has not been papered yet, just ran 4 over the new chrono.

Big surprise to me was one 250 gr Win Silvertip load, an old one that on the box claims 2700 fps. I had in my mind maybe 2600 at most but it actually turned in 2657 fps for a muzzle energy ME, of 3920 lbs. Not bad for an old yellow box factory load.

Tried two 225 Speers with IMR4831 that averaged 2910 for 4230 ME.

Tried some 250 Hornady RN with IMR4350 and the top load produced 2716fps for 4100 ME. That seemed like a max load with that powder, it may be a bit fast.

Now before Bob Whelen gets all excited thinking he has all my loads beat with the mighty Whelen, listen up.

250 Hornady Spires with Reloader 22. Top load produced 2830 fps for 4445 ME. No pressure signs but I would consider the charge to be about max.

Some 275 gr Speers over MagPro powder, top load gave 2480 fps for 3756 ME. This powder is a bit slow for the round however I also had more powder room so may experiment further after I see how they group, like to get that bullet up over 2600 fps.

So based on this session I think we can put to rest the idea that the Whelen "leaves the .338 mag in the dust", or "the Whelen is better" etc.

Enjoy Bob!

PM if interested in powder charges or particulars, as some are over book max, but have been seen in others chrono work on other forums etc.
@sestoppelman
Got to the range with the whelen and some 275s and 310s a while back. Got the 275gn at almost 2,700
20220618_081516.jpg
20220618_081703.jpg
fps still easy bolt lift and no sign of excess pressure, recoil was up there so settled on 2,544 fps a bit nicer to shoot.

When I took my Ruger 77 .338 to Africa I had to settle for factory Winchester ammo- Guess what - all one shot kills on 7 critters.
The smiling buff to the left was taken on a later trip with an old 1895 .405 WCF rifle shooting 400 grain Woodie softs at 2100 fps. And it was not even a MAGNUM!

Bob,
With the bullet that far out of the case, how well does it cycle from the magazine?
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Cycles fine I have a 3.6 inch mag for some silly reason and even at that lenght it still doesn't touch the rifling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross