1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 7.43.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 7.43.27 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 7.43.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 7.43.28 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
"Not all cartridges are focused around hunting."

True, but I thought this forum title was "Africa Hunting".

Ballistically .338 RUM = .338 Lapua = .33 Nosler = .330 Dakota = .340 Wby

I personally think the .340 Wby is the one that makes the most sense from a hunting rifles / ammo availability perspective.
  • Who knows how long the RUM will be chambered / loaded?
  • Where do you buy .33 Nosler or .330 Dakota ammo?
  • Why pay a 100% premium for a Lapua "sniper rifle"? Not to mention that darn few of them are practical hunting rifles...
  • I seem to remember (?) that I read somewhere that some jurisdictions restrict the .338 Lapua (another "assault" thing I guess...).
  • Conversely, Weatherby will likely 'never' let their emblematic .340 Wby die - it has limited but ferociously loyal following, and it will be (hopefully) a long time before a Weatherby rifle/cartridge is classified as an assault whatever...
Truth be told...

1- Forget the 250 gr load with modern bonded or mono-metal slugs in a big .33, except for grizzly and buffalo (I know, I know, .340 is technically below the .375 legal caliber in Botswana or Tanzania, but it certainly meets the energy requirement, which makes it legal in Mozambique, Namibia, Zimbabwe, most of South Africa, etc.).

2- The 225 gr TTSX is a dream come true for a do anything, anywhere, 400 yd, 3,000+ fps, yet reduced-recoil load. This is the do-it-all one load for everything.

3- The 185 gr TTSX turns a big .33 into a .300 on steroids, without the fierce recoil for which the 250 gr load is justly famous (the .340 Wby has been universally recognized since 1963 as an incredibly potent cartridge, but one that is difficult to shoot)... This is the ideal load for a plains game hunt that does not include Eland (although it will kill Eland very dead if properly used).

I am an unapologetic fan of the .340 Wby :)

PS: Call me a sissy, but for me the .338/.378 Wby might be too much of a good thing!
It doesnt meet the calibre requirement in zimbabwe for hippo,buffalo or elephant and so could only be used for lion and leopard.

"Not all cartridges are focused around hunting."

True, but I thought this forum title was "Africa Hunting".
The beauty of this forum is the wealth of knowledge from a lot of people, making it a very well rounded place to gain knowledge on many subjects. With an open mind one can gain a lot of knowledge.

Some people do not want to progress past a certain point in history/technology. Nothing wrong with that, at times I wish I never had a cell phone. I would be able to detach from the world like when I was a kid. Other times I'm use the technology to my advantage and text through a GPS system that no one would have cell service. Nothing wrong with a cartridge that works for you, that doesn't mean it is the best to someone else, or fit a different need.

For me, learning is what keeps me fresh. New cartridge gives me a reason not to get stuck in the rut so to speak. Nothing wrong with an 30-06 will kill damn near anything in NA. Some just like the options of different flavors. YMMV

The RUM is rare and the Lapua is a problem looking for a solution as a hunting cartridge for the vast majority of hunting scenarios. And any scenarios not covered by the "vast majority", are scenarios in which the shot should probably not have been taken. In case anyone doesn't know... I have an extreme dislike of long range "hunting", and that is the only function I could see for the Lapua. You wanna ring steel, all the power to you and I can't fault you for finding joy in hitting stuff at long range, but that is where the Lapua belongs IMO.

.338 Fed, .338 Win Mag, .338/06.... These will all kill effectively out to normal hunting ranges (and probably well beyond with the right load, bullet, and shooter). They cost and kick less. The .338 is still just a .338 at the end of the day. It isn't ever going to be a .375, .416, .458. So, pushing it faster is not likely to drastically increase its killing power, if at all.

I had a .338 Win Mag at one point and, honestly, It is hard to improve upon with more velocity. It shoots plenty flat for all hunting distances and hits hard enough to bring almost any animal down. All the bigger cartridges do is extend the range at which your bullet expands by a little bit, but returns are excessively diminishing.

I have only the 338 Winchesters. But, there is lust in my heart for most all things .338. I suppose the 338/378 has not held much attraction for me. Though the 338 Federal through the 338 Laupa certainly does.
Maybe one day, I will have a 340 Wby put together. And make use of the brass that I bought Years ago.
I have a small regret of not buying a stainless M70 338 RUM a few years ago. I slept on that purchase. Went back the next day and it was gone. Classic example of; if you snooze, you loose.
There were only 2 rifles i was scared to fire my 340 Weatherby after the scope cut my forehead,
& my sons Ruger 77 mk11 458 Win Mag with 500 grain bullets , i can not see a 338 Lapua as a
comfortable carry it all day hunting rifle.

I have two 338 rums. Both are shooters if I do my part. I have no experience with the lapua and don’t have any plans for it. Hands down this caliber flattens elk at ranges far and near. 1 rifle shoots 225 accubond at 3050 fps, other prefers 210 partition at 3150. first load is 92 7828 others 91.5 rl 22. Both wear nightforce and muzzle brakes. I have harvested elk with 7 mm rem, 300 win, 300 wby and 338 win all suitable calibers for elk but when I stepped up to the rum , the others have stayed in the safe. It’s great round if you handload, factory ammo can be spend.

I bought a used RUM on a whim and cut the barrel to 21.5" so the VS factor is nill. I'm happy with it, brass and loaded ammo are around if you look. Price is another story. As an aside using TTSX's I'm clocking 2750 with 250 gr bullets, and 2800 fps with 225's.
Congratulations by cutting the barrel back you have a hot loaded 338 Win Mag.

I bought a used 338 RUM on a whim at an auction. No regrets. Although a 338 RUM is certainly not needed, I’ve used it on moose here in Canada and been very impressed with the overall performance of the rifle, the caliber, and the bullets. It came equipped with a muzzle brake, and as such the recoil is very mild. I suspect with the brake removed the felt recoil would be much more than my 375 H&H (also mild). I haven’t bothered to remove the brake on the 338 RUM and test it out.

I stocked up on brass and other components before things got scarce so I will be good for as long as I’m walking and stalking the woods.

I inherited a .338 Win Mag from my older brother and promised to take it to Africa for plains game. It performed well there ( six one shot kills ) and later in Colorado with a one shot kill on a Texas Heart Shot on a fleeing bull elk. My adult son had been thinking of a Lapua .338, but after he sampled the minute of angle accuracy of my .338 Win Mag, he decided that was enough gun for him.
Besides it came with proven loads, dies, bullets, powder, lots of brass, and some loaded ammo.

My .338 Win mag killed all my game in Africa with one shot each and took a big Eland Bull with one shot == DRT. Also a big 6x6 Elk speeding away at 100 + yards. Mine likes the Winchester 230 grain Fail Safes. What more do you need or want ?
I agree with John P and Bob Nelson - "Use enough Gun " but know when to stop.
Spend that extra time and money hunting.
I have a few boxes of bullets of those 230gr FS and the 250gr Part Gold I have been hoarding for my 338 RUM and 338 Win. I normally use the 225gr Swift A frame with excellent results here in Alaska.

I have a 7.5 lb Rem XCR II (with Leupold 2-8x Firedot scope) in 375 Weatherby. It shoots 300g A-Frames at 2800 fps chrono'd. I have no idea what it would shoot a 250g bullet at but am guessing just over 3000 fps. I've also shot 350g Woodleigh HD SPs at 2550 fps. Since it also shoots 375 H&H factory exceedingly well, maybe you should throw the 375 Weatherby into your equation. Just a thought.

7ymIhyM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My .338 Win mag killed all my game in Africa with one shot each and took a big Eland Bull with one shot == DRT. Also a big 6x6 Elk speeding away at 100 + yards. Mine likes the Winchester 230 grain Fail Safes. What more do you need or want ?
I agree with John P and Bob Nelson - "Use enough Gun " but know when to stop.
Spend that extra time and money hunting.
What is your handload with 230gr Failsafe ?
I have a few of those bullets ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross