325 WSM

Have any body had any experience with the 325 WSM ?
No real experience with it, other than the range. I personally know one person that really likes his. He has used it on grizzly, moose, caribou, and other animals. I am Internet-familiar with others that have used it on the same and African plains game, they were also very satisfied. I do not recall anyone that actually owned and used it, not liking it.
I have a couple of Kimber Montana’s and a M70 Classic in 325 WSM. I am hoping to use one of them moose hunting this year. My bullet choice is the 200 TSX.

I have one in a M70. It is extremely accurate. I have shot a few deer with it but have not really pushed the cartridge. I bought it as a lighter alternative for bear hunting and then moved out of AK before trying it.

A buddy uses one for elk in Idaho and loves it.

Have any body had any experience with the 325 WSM ?
Not with the 325WSM, but I did own a 300WSM. And I consider it one of my weaker firearm decisions.

Looking back on it, the family of "short magnums" were an answer to a question no one asked. If you are asking if they perform. Yes they do, but what is actually gained?

It has been argued that a shorter action and therefor shorter bolt throw is faster than a standard action. In my actual practice between a short action and a magnum action, there was no discernible difference. What is really happening is that short and fat casing with a steep and long shoulder make feeding more problematic. My 300WSM did not have a hiccup when feeding, but it wasn't as slick as my 300WM. The only real benefit of a short action is being more rigid than a standard or magnum action and therefore (potentially) more accurate.

The other problem with the .30 caliber version was case capacity. I'm not sure if this would be a problem with the .325 or not, but the 300WSM couldn't shoot bullets above 200 grains at proper velocities because it lacked the case volume to do so. The bullet had to be seated too deep in the brass and took away powder space.

The 325WSM is most often compared to the 338WM so I will do the same. Bullet selection .325 vs .338 - It's not even close. There are infinite reloading bullet choices at .338 and only a couple at .325 caliber. Then there are the loaded ammo options with 338WM having about 4 times the options of the 325WSM. This would also play a part in the event of a luggage/ammo loss, when you need to resupply at a local store.

Yes, you can tell the way I'm leaning, however it's still a good cartridge and good for all manner of large game up to and including Eland and Lion. It's unlikely that any animal would be able to tell the difference between a 325WSM and 338WM for terminal performance with proper bullet placement for each. Personally I'm not a fan but that shouldn't stop anyone from buying a rifle in a cartridge they desire.

EDIT - The 300WSM I owned was a Savage 16 Bear Hunter and was incredibly accurate, shooting 1.5" groups at 200 yards with factory ammo. The rifle was sold about a year after I bought it, only having been fired about 60 times and never hunted with.

Last edited:
As stated, I have a 325 WSM. However, if I didn’t and wanted a rifle in this ‘class’ I’d seriously consider the .338-06 or even step up to the Whelen.

I am not as critical as most on the 325. I see a big advantage in both the 300wsm and 325wsm because the short action saves weight. I the 325wsm in a Browning BLR would be wonderful - and saves a full pound over the 300 win mag.

The downside is of course 60 dollars for 20 rounds and you get like 3 to choose from, though you can special order from custom makers or reload.

There would be a combination of two reasons that I would get a 325 WSM.
If I liked or was interested in 8mm cartridges and short actions. On those two points, I really like the 325 WSM.

My personal feeling, the performance on the cartridge is about ideal for any hoofed game in North America at distances under 300 yards. People that actually shoot farther can extend that range. The same can be said for Many other cartridges. Though few in an 8mm and short action.
If you don’t like / want an 8mm in a short action, there is a plethora of other choices, which usually end up with the same terminal performance results. Good bullet, good placement, dead animal.
If you want “more gun”, the 338 Winchester in my opinion has the potential for more. The 338 Winchester is a favorite cartridge, I have a favorite rifle in it. But, it is not an 8mm nor short action.

Edit to add:
To sum it up, the 325 WSM is a niche cartridge. If you have the desire for that niche category, you will probably like it.
I would not look for it or any other 8mm cartridge to ever skyrocket in North American sells / popularity.

Last edited:
I have one in Win M70 Extreme Weather.

I have used it on African Plains game with great results, from Steenbok to Zebra and Gemsbok, as well as Sambar here in Australia, and Tahr in NZ

i used 196gn Norma Oryx Projectiles in Africa, and use 180gn Nosler Ballistic tips for the rest. Federal Large Magnum Primers, ADI 2209 powder.

Im very happy with it, and wont be swapping it out any time soon.

Also,

In some ways I think the 325 provides some justification to purchase a new rifle. Maybe someone has a 7mm rem mag or 30-06 and they don't see a 300 win mag / 300wsm worthy of spending $1000-2000. You bump that caliber up to .325 and it then it becomes different (even though the 300 mags are arguably equivalent).

325 WSM is in my opinion a very good cartridge, as are many others.
A 200 grain bullet at 2800- 2950 Fps with a sectional density of .274 is hard to argue otherwise.
Or for your Swift fans, per their reloading book:
A 220 grain A-Frame at 2800-2850 Fps, with a sectional density of .301 is not a bad thing either.
Count me as fan of the cartridge.

I have a 325WSM in a Browning ABolt and can't fault it as a hard hitting calibre. I've taken numerous big Sambar Stags here in Australia with it and also taken plains game including Eland without fuss.
Never had one feeding issue in either my 325wsm or 300wsm in the 15yrs I've owned them and they get plenty of use.

I can’t comment on its effectiveness on bigger game (only used it whitetail and black bear hunting) but the cartridge is easy to reload for, a moderate variety of bullets and other components are available, and any North American animal is in its power band. If you don’t reload, I don’t know if I’d bother with it.
i am selling mine and building a 300wsm, though because I don’t own a 338 or 375 cal suppressor. I like to hunt suppressed when I can and the short action reduces weight and length which helps when hanging a 6in can off the end (versus a 300wm)

Not with the 325WSM, but I did own a 300WSM. And I consider it one of my weaker firearm decisions.

Looking back on it, the family of "short magnums" were an answer to a question no one asked. If you are asking if they perform. Yes they do, but what is actually gained?

It has been argued that a shorter action and therefor shorter bolt throw is faster than a standard action. In my actual practice between a short action and a magnum action, there was no discernible difference. What is really happening is that short and fat casing with a steep and long shoulder make feeding more problematic. My 300WSM did not have a hiccup when feeding, but it wasn't as slick as my 300WM. The only real benefit of a short action is being more rigid than a standard or magnum action and therefore (potentially) more accurate.

The other problem with the .30 caliber version was case capacity. I'm not sure if this would be a problem with the .325 or not, but the 300WSM couldn't shoot bullets above 200 grains at proper velocities because it lacked the case volume to do so. The bullet had to be seated too deep in the brass and took away powder space.

The 325WSM is most often compared to the 338WM so I will do the same. Bullet selection .325 vs .338 - It's not even close. There are infinite reloading bullet choices at .338 and only a couple at .325 caliber. Then there are the loaded ammo options with 338WM having about 4 times the options of the 325WSM. This would also play a part in the event of a luggage/ammo loss, when you need to resupply at a local store.

Yes, you can tell the way I'm leaning, however it's still a good cartridge and good for all manner of large game up to and including Eland and Lion. It's unlikely that any animal would be able to tell the difference between a 325WSM and 338WM for terminal performance with proper bullet placement for each. Personally I'm not a fan but that shouldn't stop anyone from buying a rifle in a cartridge they desire.

EDIT - The 300WSM I owned was a Savage 16 Bear Hunter and was incredibly accurate, shooting 1.5" groups at 200 yards with factory ammo. The rifle was sold about a year after I bought it, only having been fired about 60 times and never hunted with.
@BeeMaa
Our esteemed gun writer in OZ Nick Harvey commonly compares the 325 wsm to the old 8mm rem mag and reckons the 2 are pretty much the same.
Bob

As stated, I have a 325 WSM. However, if I didn’t and wanted a rifle in this ‘class’ I’d seriously consider the .338-06 or even step up to the Whelen.
@WAB
I would go the Whelen every time and load it properly. It may not have the sd of the smaller calibers but it thumps a lot harder at sensible ranges.
Bob

@BeeMaa
Our esteemed gun writer in OZ Nick Harvey commonly compares the 325 wsm to the old 8mm rem mag and reckons the 2 are pretty much the same.
Bob

Pretty close but I think the 8 has the edge. I’ve often wondered if it would have been more popular in the states with a non metric name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!