hawkeyesatx

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA, Life Member DAV
Hunted
Coyote, Deer, Elk, Moose
I’ve had my Ruger American Rifle in .308 Winchester for some time, but just got a chance to go shoot it recently. It did really well with the Winchester 150gr Power Point factory ammo. 8 shots into a one inch group.
I was wondering if any of you had load data they would like to share with me?
Also, what has your hunting experience been with your .308 and rifle combo?
I’m looking to possibly use a Hornady 178 ELDX bullet in my .308. What do you all think?

Hawk

I've always preferred IMR 4064 or Tac when loading 175's in my 308. Admittedly, my 308 is a Ruger Guňŝïĝĥť Scout with a short 16" barrel and I tend to shoot faster powders for less velocity loss.

I'll have to look in my book to see what my 175 gr load is with Tac.

I've always preferred IMR 4064 or Tac when loading 175's in my 308. Admittedly, my 308 is a Ruger Guňŝïĝĥť Scout with a short 16" barrel and I tend to shoot faster powders for less velocity loss.

I'll have to look in my book to see what my 175 gr load is with Tac.

Thank you for letting me know. I look forward to your load data.

48 grains of CFE223 and a 168 TTSX is a great load for me and I would hunt any PG with it. But 308 win is about as forgiving as it comes, 4350 and varget will most likely get you want you need, along with a long list of other powders.

You are going to get some negative feedback on the ELDx bullet, but not from me, I have had very good results with them.

Just noting here, 48 grains might be too hot, all depends on your rifle.

48 grains of CFE223 and a 168 TTSX is a great load for me and I would hunt any PG with it. But 308 win is about as forgiving as it comes, 4350 and varget will most likely get you want you need, along with a long list of other powders.

You are going to get some negative feedback on the ELDx bullet, but not from me, I have had very good results with them.

Just noting here, 48 grains might be too hot, all depends on your rifle.

I thought maybe, just maybe, that the 178 gr ELDX might be a good compromise for what velocity the 308 can achieve along with it being a little softer than usual hunting bullets. I haven’t had any bad experiences yet with Hornady bullets. I have some 150 gr Spire Points on hand, but wasn’t sure if that bullet weight is optimal for everything that was soft skinned and non lethal animals.

Here’s the 8 shot group I got with the Winchester 150 gr Power Point ammo.
IMG_2690.jpg

Been using the Hornady 150 gr SST's for a few years now in my Ruger 308 along with 46,2 gr of IMR 4895. I've taken a bunch of deer and antelope with it so far and never fired more than one shot at any of them.

Been using the Hornady 150 gr SST's for a few years now in my Ruger 308 along with 46,2 gr of IMR 4895. I've taken a bunch of deer and antelope with it so far and never fired more than one shot at any of them.

I had been thinking about using this one.
Thank you for letting me know.

Hawk

I’ve had my Ruger American Rifle in .308 Winchester for some time, but just got a chance to go shoot it recently. It did really well with the Winchester 150gr Power Point factory ammo. 8 shots into a one inch group.
I was wondering if any of you had load data they would like to share with me?
Also, what has your hunting experience been with your .308 and rifle combo?
I’m looking to possibly use a Hornady 178 ELDX bullet in my .308. What do you all think?

Hawk
I am assuming your Ruger American has a 22" barel, that you prefer more frangible bullets (vs controlled expansion or monometals), and that you are not someone who prefers to take shoulder shots.

Unless you intend to step up to elk sized game, I recommend 150 class bullets in the .308. I agree with the recommendation of the 150 SST and have found it hard to beat for deer sized game. Paired with somewhere between 42 and 43 grains of AR-Comp, it is a match made in heaven.

If you are stepping up to elk sized game, the 178 ELD-X is a good choice at .308 velocities.

I am assuming your Ruger American has a 22" barel, that you prefer more frangible bullets (vs controlled expansion or monometals), and that you are not someone who prefers to take shoulder shots.

Unless you intend to step up to elk sized game, I recommend 150 class bullets in the .308. I agree with the recommendation of the 150 SST and have found it hard to beat for deer sized game. Paired with somewhere between 42 and 43 grains of AR-Comp, it is a match made in heaven.

If you are stepping up to elk sized game, the 178 ELD-X is a good choice at .308 velocities.

The range of game animals I will be hunting with it is coyote on up to elk.
The Barnes TTSX mono metal bullets, 130 gr to 168 gr would work well.
But, what would be a good one bullet load that can be used on everything?
I know .30-06 pundits say a good 165 - 168 gr bullet.
Would the same grain weight work well for the .308?
I know the velocity of the .308 isn’t all that far off from the good ol’ 30-06.
Does anyone else agree?

Hawk

My practice load for 308/7.62x51 is 40.8 grains of Benchmark with a Hornady 150 gr FMJBT. Just a good overall load that has worked well in both bolt action and gas guns.

The powder and bullet combination was suggested by a professional reloader I used to shoot 3-Gun with.

I almost always take vital area shots, heart-lung area over anything else.
I’m not the type that shoots at game a half mile away. I like to keep my shots within the range it was meant to used. Usually 400 - 500 m.
The usual hunting distances I’ve shot game has been 75 - 275m. I know the .308 is up to the task within those ranges.
Yes, my Ruger American has a 22” bbl with 1-10” barrel twist.
I’m open to any bullet(s) that will work well.

Hawk

Does anyone else agree?

Hawk

I would not use a ttsx for coyote, the bullet needs to fragment.

As far as the 308 vs 06. Two different applications, the short action is nice in the regard of aftermarket support.

I loaded some 180 gr SSTs and shot a couple caribou. They worked and I got exits on everything. However, if I did it again I would probably use 150 grain SST bullets for caribou. I think you might get slightly faster kills due to higher velocity. My friend shot several caribou with a 7mm-08 and SSTs. I think they were 140 grain. He also got exits and his caribou seemed to die faster.

I might be careful with an all copper bullet. At 308 velocity I think it's tougher than you want.

Does anyone else agree?

Hawk
I agree with that completely. A good bullet in the 165gr range will do about all that you want a 308 to do. I'm A fan of plain old Hornady flat base interlocks and Nosler partitions. For the game that you listed use the Nosler for the elk and the Hornadys for the rest. In my rifles I have found that those 2 bullets shoot to the same point with the same powder charges which is nice because the Hornadys are about half the price of the noslers. As to powders most medium burn rate powders such as any of the 4895s,4064s, Varget, R15 and many others work very well in a 308. I'm a 30'06 lover but also fond of my 308 and must admit that it will do most of what an '06 will do. Good luck with yours!

I’m kinda laughing here. Winchester Shitbox 150 gr. Powerpoints…

My Remmie 700 does that with Federal Shitbox 150 gr. Bullets. What are they…Powershocks. Right. I’m sure they’re different somehow. (Ford v. Chevy anyone?)

Blows me away that the cheapest ammo out there dumps 1” 5 (*or 8 shot) groups at 100 yards.

Anyway…I really like Varget in my .308 with some 165’s. That is, when I’m not shooting FedChester Cheap-O Ammo.

(*it’s embarrassing when my precision weighed and measured ammo doesn’t really do any better than the cheapest stuff I can find out to 300 yards…)

I’m kinda laughing here. Winchester Shitbox 150 gr. Powerpoints…

My Remmie 700 does that with Federal Shitbox 150 gr. Bullets. What are they…Powershocks. Right. I’m sure they’re different somehow. (Ford v. Chevy anyone?)

Blows me away that the cheapest ammo out there dumps 1” 5 (*or 8 shot) groups at 100 yards.

Anyway…I really like Varget in my .308 with some 165’s. That is, when I’m not shooting FedChester Cheap-O Ammo.

(*it’s embarrassing when my precision weighed and measured ammo doesn’t really do any better than the cheapest stuff I can find out to 300 yards…)

To tell you the truth, I wasn’t expecting the Winchester 150 gr Power Points to be that accurate. They’re usually a lot less accurate from personal experience. Usually 1.5” or greater accuracy. I was using that ammo to get the final zero for my scope, and to have Winchester brass available to reload.
I am going to use that ammo for just range sessions.
But it got me to thinking about premium bullets and getting as good of groups or better, and using it for hunting.
To me, a rifle that can shoot that well with crap ammo deserves to be fed hand loads with premium bullets and screams to go hunting with it.

Hawk

When I saw the group I took a picture of above with that crap ammo, my mouth dropped. I didn’t quite believe it either. It was 8 rounds into an inch. I was dumbfounded. That’s why I took the picture. No one would believe me if I just said it without proof. The proof is right there in the picture.
I have way too many relatives that come from Missouri, let’s put it that way. LOL

Probably 10 or 15 years ago, I was helping a gentleman sight in his newly acquired Ruger American in .308. He had a VERY cheap scope on it (the kind that didn't even have clicks for adjustments) and was shooting MILSURP ammo. That combo was stacking FMJ's, one atop the other. I have never seen ANY rifle do that, before or since. Go figure...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg