.308 Win. for Antelope?

A .308 will do the job. I know many farmers in Namibia who have successfully harvested kudu and oryx with a .308 for many years.
 
Reading through this thread and seeing what everyone has to say makes me feel better about deciding on the Calibers going to South Africa with the wife and I in may Deb will be hunting with her 30-06 and I with my 308. I've been working up some reloads and this is what I came up with, both rifles will shoot 180gr TSX
30-06 using H4350 and IMR 4320 for the 308 and using my Chony as the reloading book is way off on the speed of the bullet the 308 will be 3 fps faster then the 30-06 and both rounds will drive tacks at 200 yards.
 
So what was the velocity you ended up with? Assuming you loaded the '06 for accuracy, not speed.
 
The .308 is a well-renowned cartridge for the type of game you mentioned. You have made a good purchase and you wont have any problems with it unless you miss!
 
So what was the velocity you ended up with? Assuming you loaded the '06 for accuracy, not speed.

The 308 had the average speed of 2615 fps the 30-06 at 2612 fps. I've been trying them out on Whitetail here in Alabama and there's meat in the freezer.
 
.308 On plains game

I agree with all the contributors on the merits of the .308. It is an extremely popular caliber in South Africa and if you do your bit it wont let you down. If I may comment on the Blue Wildebeest, it has a smaller frame than Kudu for instance. But pound for pound it is one of the toughest game animals in Africa. Study bullet placement on the Wildebeest, take it through the boiler room and it has to go down.

Happy Hunting
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,346
Messages
1,573,638
Members
169,776
Latest member
gastmindwato1973
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top