.308 Win. for Antelope?

Joseph Snyder

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Member of
Africahunting.com, **NOT**PERMITTED**.com, RugerForums.com
What are your thoughts on using my .308 for Kudu, Impala, Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Lechwe, and the like?

Jo,
The .308 Win is a very popular calibre here in South Africa and will smash any of the above listed animals in their tracks. I myself also have a .308 Win, and will use it on any plains game animal out there. Remember, shot placement is the most important factor here.

Best Regards
Marius

This will sound blasphemus to some .30-06 gurus but a friend of mine who hunted RSA twice now used on his first hunt both a .308 and an '06. I thought it a little strange to take two such similar rounds for the same game but thats what he did. I asked upon his return if he could see any appreciable difference between the two on game. Answer: No.

I dont recall which game was taken with each rifle but the effects seem to be about the same.

Jo,
The .308 Win is a very popular calibre here in South Africa and will smash any of the above listed animals in their tracks. I myself also have a .308 Win, and will use it on any plains game animal out there. Remember, shot placement is the most important factor here.

Best Regards
Marius
Ahhh, good! I'm glad to hear I've purchased a good rifle!

The 308 Win is a fine rifle for plains game. Great choice of weapon!

This will sound blasphemus to some .30-06 gurus but a friend of mine who hunted RSA twice now used on his first hunt both a .308 and an '06. I thought it a little strange to take two such similar rounds for the same game but thats what he did. I asked upon his return if he could see any appreciable difference between the two on game. Answer: No.

I dont recall which game was taken with each rifle but the effects seem to be about the same.
Cool! Everybody praises the .30-06 Cartridge over the .308 Win., if the .30-06 is such a 'much better round' and the .308 is just a 'necked-down .30-06', why is the .308 the #1 Caliber used by S.E.A.L. Team 6 and U.S. Marine Snipers and not the .30-06? Do you think the pros would use the lesser cartridge for their Paratroopers and Snipers?:) I don't know what're up with those people, my dad+brother shoot .30-06s, I can top them with my Model Six for Deer and Bear.:)

The 308 Win is a fine rifle for plains game. Great choice of weapon!
Thanks for feedback! Now I just need a Rhino Caliber!!:D

Joseph,

The 308 is not a neck down 30-06. It is a shorter case with a little less volume.

For hunting the 30-06 will drive a bullet a little faster the the 308. The 308 can be built on a short action rifle and some consider that an advantage. To say one is better than the other for hunting is splitting hairs. I own several 308s but only two 30-06's. I prefer the 30-06 for hunting especially with a heavier bullet. My target shooting is done with a .308.

There are some advantages for the military with the shorter round. Do not confuse what the military does with hunting, they are two different missions.

Joseph,

The 308 is not a neck down 30-06. It is a shorter case with a little less volume.

For hunting the 30-06 will drive a bullet a little faster the the 308. The 308 can be built on a short action rifle and some consider that an advantage. To say one is better than the other for hunting is splitting hairs. I own several 308s but only two 30-06's. I prefer the 30-06 for hunting especially with a heavier bullet. My target shooting is done with a .308.

There are some advantages for the military with the shorter round. Do not confuse what the military does with hunting, they are two different missions.
Oh, yeah, I see what you mean. But you could knock an Anty down with a .22-it's all about shot placement, that's how Fred Bear took an Elephant down with a Longbow. I prefer accuracy over power.:)

In the hunting world there is no appreciable difference in accuracy between the two rounds. In target shooting an edge would go to the .308.

It is more than shot placement. It is about premium bullets and enough power. Hunting accuracy will be determined by how much time you practice shooting offhand, off shooting sticks, and other field positions. Once my hunting rifle are around MOA at 100 yards they come off the bench. All shooting is from position.

My plains game rifle is a 375 H and H. It is also the backup for my 470 Nitro.

The 308 will serve you well but no better than the 30-06.

In the hunting world there is no appreciable difference in accuracy between the two rounds. In target shooting an edge would go to the .308.

It is more than shot placement. It is about premium bullets and enough power. Hunting accuracy will be determined by how much time you practice shooting offhand, off shooting sticks, and other field positions. Once my hunting rifle are around MOA at 100 yards they come off the bench. All shooting is from position.

My plains game rifle is a 375 H and H. It is also the backup for my 470 Nitro.

The 308 will serve you well but no better than the 30-06.
Oh, I still like the .308 for less recoil, too much recoil has an effect on the average human being, I like to avoid it as much as possible.:)

The .308 will take down any of your wanted species. A recommendation is to take a premium bullet and place it in the vitals.

Last year, I loaded some 140 gr Nosler Partitions for my 7mm-08 behind RL-15 for a trip to RSA last year. I ended up not taking any game with this load as I used my 300 Win Mag the entire trip. However, I did take an addax and Texas dall ram two weeks ago. The addax was about 125 yards away and the ram was 90.5 yards away. The addax stumbled about 40 yards before going down as the shot was thru the lungs. The ram was DRT. Both shots complete pass thrus.

Remember the vitals are further forward then N.A. game. Put the bullet thru the shoulder! Then, smile pretty for the camera!

Good luck!

I had good luck using a Barnes Triple Shock bullet out of both my 30.06, and the 375 H&H. I used the .06 for long shots. You should also keep in mind that your shot opportunity to get on target is not shall we
say lengthy. On average anywhere from 3 to 8 seconds to acquire the
target and pull the trigger. I was glad I practiced snap shooting at 100 yards at two steel targets on opposing sides of the range.

The .308 will take down any of your wanted species. A recommendation is to take a premium bullet and place it in the vitals.

Last year, I loaded some 140 gr Nosler Partitions for my 7mm-08 behind RL-15 for a trip to RSA last year. I ended up not taking any game with this load as I used my 300 Win Mag the entire trip. However, I did take an addax and Texas dall ram two weeks ago. The addax was about 125 yards away and the ram was 90.5 yards away. The addax stumbled about 40 yards before going down as the shot was thru the lungs. The ram was DRT. Both shots complete pass thrus.

Remember the vitals are further forward then N.A. game. Put the bullet thru the shoulder! Then, smile pretty for the camera!

Good luck!
Thanks! I know the vitals or closer to the head/neck are on African game. I don't know why. I almost purchased an '08 but liked the Remmy Mod 6 better. Congrats on those animals!

I used a CZ .308 and 165 Woodleighs on my first trip to Africa and should have stayed with that combo for the second trip. Shots were from 40 to 210 metres. I took all the species you list except Lechwe.

IMO the .308/165 combination is perfect for PG.

The .308 Win is a very capable round and has proved itself over and over under African Conditions, it's mild recoil coupled with good trajectory and inherent accuracy makes it a wise choice. Look at getting either 165gr or 180gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw's or Nosler Partitions and you should be fine.

The .308 Win is a very capable round and has proved itself over and over under African Conditions, it's mild recoil coupled with good trajectory and inherent accuracy makes it a wise choice. Look at getting either 165gr or 180gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw's or Nosler Partitions and you should be fine.
Cool, for N.A. game, I have Remmy Core-Lokts.:)

Cool, for N.A. game, I have Remmy Core-Lokts.:)

I might choose something a little stouter than the Core-Lokts. Simple reason is because your shots will be on the shoulder and I want something that I know is going to hold together while punching thru bone.

My go to bullets are the Barnes TSX/TTSX and Nosler Partitions.

I might choose something a little stouter than the Core-Lokts. Simple reason is because your shots will be on the shoulder and I want something that I know is going to hold together while punching thru bone.

My go to bullets are the Barnes TSX/TTSX and Nosler Partitions.
I know, I was just saying that's what I shoot.:) I was looking at Barnes bullets.:)

A lot to be said for 165-180 grnrs. I've used 180 RN Core-lokts on Sambar for many years and they've performed pretty well. (Bought 300- 25 years ago-100 left). I guess there are better projectiles around these days.
Lot of the locals over there use the 308 but they are shooting those animals a lot more frequently than most of us.
Familiarity can breed profficiency.
Good luck if you get over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg