308 Norma Magnum

FrancoisLouw

Reaction score
Good day all
I've been hunting for years with a 308 Norma Magnum. It's a lovely rifle with one flaw: It kicks like an angry mule. The barrel now needs to be replaced and I need advice as to what I can do to reduce the recoil. I was thinking of changing it to a 300 Winmag but only if this will have a significant effect. Can someone please advise.

All other factors being equal, the difference in recoil between those two calibers is almost imperceptible. I have a 308 Norma Mag in a Browning Safari Grade that has a reasonable amount of recoil for what it is, and feels the same as every 300 Win Mag I've ever shot. I think a change in stock design or to a much smaller caliber would produce a more perceptible reduction in recoil; however, I'm a big fan of 308 Norma, so I'm never going to advise moving away from it.

Put a brake on it.
a-outta.gif

Limbsaver recoil pad helped my 300 Wincheste.

Winchester

R.A.D. is another option. I have them on two heavy recoiling rifles and it turns the sharp kick in to more of a push.
R.A.D.jpg

I am building a 308 NM right now. I like the cartridge.

FWIW, I doubt going to any other 30 caliber magnum will tame the recoil at all... it will probably increase the recoils some.

My advice would be to re-barrel in 7mm Remington Magnum - it has a lot less recoil due to the lighter bullets. The new barrel and proper chambering are all that should be required, as the bolt face and cartridge length are the same, or nearly so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardasarock

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.