Rafiki

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Tanzania
I have a .303 British No4 MKI that has been my go-to rifle for hunting Whitetails. Love the handy little rifle except for trigger, it sucks! I don't know if it is the same for all of these rifles but is is the sloppiest thing you can imagine. Mine literally flops back and forth in the triggers guard. It has a VERY long creep and over-travel. I probably shouldn't complain since it's done such a good job of filling the freezer for over 50-years.

I've periodically searched for replacement triggers and thus far have come up empty. I'd like to get this fixed; have others had the same problem with their British Enfield? Have any solutions to share?

303 British.jpg

I have a .303 British No4 MKI that has been my go-to rifle for hunting Whitetails. Love the handy little rifle except for trigger, it sucks! I don't know if it is the same for all of these rifles but is is the sloppiest thing you can imagine. Mine literally flops back and forth in the triggers guard. It has a VERY long creep and over-travel. I probably shouldn't complain since it's done such a good job of filling the freezer for over 50-years.

I've periodically searched for replacement triggers and thus far have come up empty. I'd like to get this fixed; have others had the same problem with their British Enfield? Have any solutions to share?

View attachment 594975
@Rafiki
The best replacement trigger for the SMLE is the HUBER CONCEPTS TRIGGER. I have had two of them and fitted them for others. It converts the old crap trigger into a nice single stage trigger that can be adjusted down to two pound. Easy to install.
The only way to fix the over travel is to drill a hole in the rear of the trigger guard and install a fine bolt that you can adjust to suit the amount of over travel.
John Huber the designer of the trigger is a great bloke to deal with and talk to. Google his triggers to find out more
Bob

Very nice No4 @Rafiki is that a early Bishop stock, I remember they had some fancy stocks for exmilitary rifles back in the day, has it the two groove barrel or five ?

Trigger should not be too floppy, but if the spring that tensions the sear (it has pressure on the trigger sear also) is broken it should also effect the magazine catch as the one spring does both jobs ?

It would explain the floppy trigger & the over travel to a degree as the sear pushes back - has resistance on the trigger .

Last edited:
@Rafiki
The best replacement trigger for the SMLE is the HUBER CONCEPTS TRIGGER. I have had two of them and fitted them for others. It converts the old crap trigger into a nice single stage trigger that can be adjusted down to two pound. Easy to install.
The only way to fix the over travel is to drill a hole in the rear of the trigger guard and install a fine bolt that you can adjust to suit the amount of over travel.
John Huber the designer of the trigger is a great bloke to deal with and talk to. Google his triggers to find out more
Bob
Thanks, I'll check it out. This is the kind of thing that makes AH such a great site.

Very nice No4 @Rafiki is that a early Bishop stock, I remember they had some fancy stocks for exmilitary rifles back in the day,
It has a Fajen "Aristocrat" stock; Pre-dates when Bishop bought Fajen. I bought that semi-finished in the late 60's for $59. Nice wood.

has it the two groove barrel or five ?
I think 5 but not 100% sure. Shoots really nice.

Trigger should not be too floppy, but if the spring that tensions the sear (it has pressure on the trigger sear also) is broken it should also effect the magazine catch as the one spring does both jobs ?
It would explain the floppy trigger & the over travel to a degree as the sear pushes back - has resistance on the trigger .
The spring is definitely good. there's this looseness, no tension, then a loooong creep 'til I feel the sear; then sear release and looong over-travel. It's always been this way. I assume it can only got together one way and still work.

have you had the barreled action out of the stock, if the trigger is "floppy" the spring could be broken. The huber triggers are good if you can find one.
gumpy
@Grumpy gumpy
SMLE triggers flop around like a sunny door in a cyclone all the time unless the rifle is cocked.
The easiest way to get a Huber trigger is ring John direct, he's a nice bloke to deal with
Bob

@Grumpy gumpy
SMLE triggers flop around like a sunny door in a cyclone all the time unless the rifle is cocked.
The easiest way to get a Huber trigger is ring John direct, he's a nice bloke to deal with
Bob
Umm, my smle trigger doesn’t. But with a sample size of one, I cannot say defiantly eithèr way
gumpy

Umm, my smle trigger doesn’t. But with a sample size of one, I cannot say defiantly eithèr way
gumpy
@Grumpy gumpy
With a sample size of a shit ton I can safely say they do. Just checked mine and it wobbles around a bit until the rifle is cocked.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nedaalden

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.