300AAC Blackout - Brit could use some help

Fabnosh

AH veteran
Joined
Jan 6, 2021
Messages
228
Reaction score
705
Location
UK
Media
19
Articles
1
Hunted
United Kingdom, Spain, Norway, South Africa, Namibia
Hi

As above, I'm looking for some subsonic load data/help for the above.

Being a Brit I am, to say the very least, limited on what bullets/powders/primers (well, everything actually) I can get hold of so this request is sadly limited to what I have available. I have 190grn Hornady Sub-X bullets and a canister of Lil' Gun (I also have Vhit N140 and N150 but not really appropriate here). I'm using RWS primers in Norma cases.

The only data I can find suggests 8.3grn for a subsonic load with the 190's. When I loaded a few cartridges and tested them, they very clearly were not subsonic (1402fps).....which is a shame as they grouped very well.

I could do what I normally do which is to start low and then ladder up the loadings but I'm after a bit of a head start to avoid wasting my limited supplies so any advice would be gratefully received.

As mentioned, changing powder and/or bullets is not really an option for me, so please rein in your enthusiasm and love of weird and wonderful combinations and recipes as that will just make me enormously jealous of your unlimited options and I'll have to go into a darkened room to recover.

The rifle is a Ruger American Ranch Gen II.

Thank you in advance.

FN
 
I don’t have any firsthand experience with the 300 blackout but I checked the Hodgdon and 8.3 grains of little gun is listed as the maximum load load with no minimum load listed. I would be very careful of going below the published data trying to make the round subsonic. I’m aware of two instances at our gun club of shooters loading below published data who ended up sticking bullets in their barrel. I fellow ended up sticking 5 bullets but thankfully he was using an AR rifle which operated from a blowback action rather than a locked breech. He had to replace the barrel but at least he didn’t injure himself blowing up a rifle. Good luck but be careful!
 
Many thanks for your counsel on this; safety is always top of the list. One can buy a variety of factory subsonic for 300AAC so I suspect there are so home loading data somewhere......it's just finding where. As mentioned, when I tried the 8.3 it was supersonic

FN
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,574,046
Members
169,889
Latest member
flavbemonra1988
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top