300 WSM Plinker

Wilkup

AH senior member
Joined
Nov 24, 2025
Messages
61
Reaction score
84
Location
Cle Elum
Got a wild hair and decided to play around with some Trail Boss in my 300 WSM the other day and came away pretty impressed.

I've never messed with reduced loads in anything but my 30-30 levergun before this, but I decided to try 20.0gr of Trail Boss behind a Hornady 125gr HP, seated to the cannelure.

I didn't have the chronograph out, so I don't have velocity numbers yet, but recoil was almost nonexistent and, after zeroing, they printed a surprisingly tight little 3 round group. Definitely not what I expected from a 300 WSM running such a small charge of powder with zero load development!

For comparison, this same rifle also shoots a 130gr Barnes TTSX at ~3,500 fps very well. Being able to go from an extremely mild, inexpensive plinking/training load to legitimate big game authority just by swapping my powder/bullet combo makes this rifle very interesting.

At some point I'll chrono the 125gr HP and Trail Boss load, but after these results I'm sold on the concept. It gives me a way to get a lot more trigger time behind my favorite hunting rifle without the cost and blast of full-power 300 WSM ammunition. These recoil about like my bulk 5.56 rounds but actually cost me less to shoot!

Anyone else play around with Trail Boss like this?
 

Attachments

  • 125HP group.jpeg
    125HP group.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 125HP loads.jpeg
    125HP loads.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • MRI Bansner.jpeg
    MRI Bansner.jpeg
    768.8 KB · Views: 43
Nice combination…Winchester Model 70 stainless with a Banser stock, Leupold scope and shooting excellent groups.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,313
Messages
1,572,588
Members
169,590
Latest member
JosephGrefe
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top