300 WSM, 300 WM, or 300 PRC for Freestate Plains Game

I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 300 wsm that I would let go for $650 . Pm me if you want to consider

I liked the 300rum but for hunting new York it's way overkill,did hunt some power line and pipeline cuts but I don't really like shooting past 500 yards when hunting. Thinking back I should have kept the gun it was one of the crf savage actions.

Had my second right shoulder rotator cuff reattachment surgery last May, was shooting my 300WM and 300H&H by November no issues. My choice for cool factor alone is the 300H&H. Good luck with the surgery.

Had my second right shoulder rotator cuff reattachment surgery last May, was shooting my 300WM and 300H&H by November no issues. My choice for cool factor alone is the 300H&H. Good luck with the surgery.
Thank you

Any of the ones you mention should work great. I own a 300 WM and 300 WSM. Both calibers do the job, but the 300 WM is my go to and the one I bring on Safari.

I would feel a .300 magnum in Freestate would not be needed if hunting on freerange ground. Most animals found on the open grassveld are duiker, springbok, steenbook, blessbok, warthog. Sometime an ostrich will cross in high speed. I don`t know if hunting near mountains at Golden Gate, one can find free roaming gemsbok, wilderbeast or other larger animals that need that harder blow from a .300mag?.
Here is some images where I hunt when visiting friends in Freestate.
J6OaaAnh.jpg
PFvMxMSh.jpg
LV93fTMh.jpg

Here my preffered rifle for Freestate. An early Pre-64 Win custommade into .270Wea. A .264win or a .257Wea would do equally well.
AToZPLjh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would feel a .300 magnum in Freestate would not be needed if hunting on freerange ground. Most animals found on the open grassveld are duiker, springbok, steenbook, blessbok, warthog. Sometime an ostrich will cross in high speed. I don`t know if hunting near mountains at Golden Gate, one can find free roaming gemsbok, wilderbeast or other larger animals that need that harder blow from a .300mag?.
Here is some images where I hunt when visiting friends in Freestate.
View attachment 473287View attachment 473288View attachment 473289

Here my preffered rifle for Freestate. An early Pre-64 Win custommade into .270Wea. A .264win or a .257Wea would do equally well.
View attachment 473290
Beautiful country! Thanks for the advice

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that this has probably been asked before, but I can not find the thread. I just got back from hunting in the Limpopo region and I used a 30-06 with 180 grain Barnes TTSX. I want to build/buy something that would work for African Plains Game AND Alaskan game (moose, caribou, black bear, mountain goat, elk, maybe brown bear). I have been looking at the 300 WSM, the 300 WM, or the 300 PRC. I reload so I’m not too worried about ammo (as long as I can fine powder and primers). Please make your suggestions so that I can “buy once, cry once” and have a gun for all of the larger game both in my area and Africa.
@PBrick
I would play it safe snd go the 300WM. Ammo available worldwide, no special actin needed like the WSM and a proven track record.
One you didn't include is the 300 Weatherby another fine 300 and a step up from the Winchester.
Bob

There are a crap-ton of calibers that would be just fine. With regards to these three I'd go with the .300 WinMag: I own one. There is nothing on our continent I wouldn't hunt with it. At the end of the day go with whatever tickles your fancy the most.

All are great in their own way of course. I have shot/hunted with all your questioned calibers and I rather hunt/shoot my 300PRC it just shoots smoother and I feel that I am more accurate with it.

Maybe 325 wsm? Ive taken mine to Africa twice and hammered everything in the dirt l shot. All one shot one kill on plains game from kudu to springbok. I'll be taking her back for my leopard hunt in 24.

The 325 can easily kill anything in north America other than brown bears. That's where it gets iffy. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Maybe 325 wsm? Ive taken mine to Africa twice and hammered everything in the dirt l shot. All one shot one kill on plains game from kudu to springbok. I'll be taking her back for my leopard hunt in 24.

The 325 can easily kill anything in north America other than brown bears. That's where it gets iffy. Just my 2 cents.
A whole bundle of the big bears have been taken by the good old 30'06 as has all of Africa's plains game so the 325wsm should certainly be lethal.

Big bears, largest plains game and shoulder issues? 35 Whelen.

Possibly the 9.3x62 as well, but the Whelen is more practical when lighter bullets are called for.

Big bears, largest plains game and shoulder issues? 35 Whelen.

Possibly the 9.3x62 as well, but the Whelen is more practical when lighter bullets are called for.
@shootist~
The following sums up the the Whelen nicely
Screenshot_20221223-203734_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220406-074151_Chrome.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!