300 H&H reloading help

damundsen87

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I just barely purchased a 300 H&H which is a caliber that I've been after for a long time now and i was hoping to get some guidance on what bullet/powder combos others have found successful. I am looking to be in the neighborhood of a 180 gr bullet but I have no experience loading this cartridge so some guidance could save me a lot of time.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I just barely purchased a 300 H&H which is a caliber that I've been after for a long time now and i was hoping to get some guidance on what bullet/powder combos others have found successful. I am looking to be in the neighborhood of a 180 gr bullet but I have no experience loading this cartridge so some guidance could save me a lot of time.

I've got a Ruger No.1 that I bought last spring but just started working load development on recently. 180gr Barness TTSX and 165gr North Fork Bonded Cores are working quite well with H4831.

The TTSX's were best at max load, but a touch slow at roughly 2850fps. The North Forks are running well over 3000fps, something like 3100 or thereabouts. North Forks are right around 1" groups, the TTSX half that or better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Piers

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.