Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I am preparing for my second safari. And, I have to recommend that you go twice to Africa at least. That way you will appreciate what you merely lived through the first time.

The first time I hunted Africa was with @KMG Hunting Safaris in South Africa. I wanted so badly for it to be a grand experience. My parents came and I brought my entire family. Just before we left my colleague decided he wanted to retire and I had to buy him out - practice, building and all. But, damn it, that safari had to be good for the family! And, I was going to make sure it was fun, whether I liked it or not lol.

It was great. Everyone had a wonderful time. I had a great hunt. But, I honestly don't think I truely appreciated it until the trophies arrived many months later. My anxiety and stress level at ensuring it all went well was, quite frankly, ridiculous. And, going to Africa! Holy moly, how freaky is that? In retrospect, I realize that my PH should have been paid extra as my psychiatrist.

But this is round two. I am only going with my boys. I now know Marius and trust him. I have some idea what to expect. I am still a type A personality. But, I can honestly say I am enjoying this one more. That frenetic sense of uncertainty is absent. Second time around is way more pleasant. I highly recommend you go back. You think the first time was good? I think I will actually appreciate this one while it is happening!

I hope you have a wonderful trip with your boys. I plan on going back hopefully next year. I also plan to take my boys when they get a little older. I am sure that when I do return it will be ever it as wonderful as my first trip.

Exciting! I'm sure the second trip will be great! When are you going? What are you after?

I enjoy the “behind the scenes” things on the operations, some people only want to see the open spaces and animals on the hoof. I like watching the skinners in the shed, seeing the hanging meat in the cooler. My PH took me to see the fencing crew erecting the high fence on a new property and we took fuel to a bulldozer operator digging a pond for animals to drink. We picked up a couple of the anti poaching guys out in the bush and gave them a ride back to camp. Some clients wouldn’t have liked that but I loved it. I’m glad I had 10 hunting days booked and had time to see those things.

Exciting! I'm sure the second trip will be great! When are you going? What are you after?

This will be another plains game trip but this time to Namibia. To be honest my only real target is zebra. Other than that I just want to be out there hunting. Whatever I chase I want it to take a while, and be challenging. Then I will chill back at camp and bask in the company I am blessed with.

The first time over seemed more like a mission:rolleyes: lots and lots of worry over details. This time seems more like a trip!:D

This will be another plains game trip but this time to Namibia. To be honest my only real target is zebra. Other than that I just want to be out there hunting. Whatever I chase I want it to take a while, and be challenging. Then I will chill back at camp and bask in the company I am blessed with.

Sounds like a great plan! Have a blast!

I hope you have a wonderful trip with your boys. I plan on going back hopefully next year. I also plan to take my boys when they get a little older. I am sure that when I do return it will be ever it as wonderful as my first trip.

When you do go I bet you will be able to just have fun watching your kids take in the experience. It's so much better knowing a little of what to expect and what to do.

I am preparing for my second safari. And, I have to recommend that you go twice to Africa at least. That way you will appreciate what you merely lived through the first time.

The first time I hunted Africa was with @KMG Hunting Safaris in South Africa. I wanted so badly for it to be a grand experience. My parents came and I brought my entire family. Just before we left my colleague decided he wanted to retire and I had to buy him out - practice, building and all. But, damn it, that safari had to be good for the family! And, I was going to make sure it was fun, whether I liked it or not lol.

It was great. Everyone had a wonderful time. I had a great hunt. But, I honestly don't think I truely appreciated it until the trophies arrived many months later. My anxiety and stress level at ensuring it all went well was, quite frankly, ridiculous. And, going to Africa! Holy moly, how freaky is that? In retrospect, I realize that my PH should have been paid extra as my psychiatrist.

But this is round two. I am only going with my boys. I now know Marius and trust him. I have some idea what to expect. I am still a type A personality. But, I can honestly say I am enjoying this one more. That frenetic sense of uncertainty is absent. Second time around is way more pleasant. I highly recommend you go back. You think the first time was good? I think I will actually appreciate this one while it is happening!
Have a great time and soak it all the in!

Have a great time and soak it all the in!

You have been quite a lot. Do you find each time you go you are able to appreciate more and stress less?

You have been quite a lot. Do you find each time you go you are able to appreciate more and stress less?

I am about to go for the sixth time and to me it’s just as exciting as the first. I work so much that the time in Africa is really my only down time. I tell the COO of my company that I’m going off the grid and that if something breaks while I’m gone he needs to find somebody to fix it. In other words don’t try calling me. Yes I appreciate the time there more and more on each trip.

Sounds like a good plan! I'm sure it'll be more laid back and enjoyable for YOU than the first time. Good Luck and enjoy.

I can see where Pheroze first safari could of been quite hectic. That many people along for the trip and him making sure that everything ran smoothly.

On my first and only one I was actually quite laid back. Even after the hunts were completed and my group and I went on a tour of South Africa I actually had to tell the outfitter to slow down so that we could see some things instead of rushing from point to point and not enjoying the time that we were there.

As it was I got to go ride a Segway Scooter, see and dive with great white sharks in Mossel Bay, watch the others jump off of a bridge with bungi cords, along with enjoying the wine country and the trip to a village in Lesotho along with the Malealea log in Lesotho.

A larger group is fine but not if you are the one that is trying to coordinated everything that is happening.

I think that if and when I go back I might be even more laid back than I was on my first trip

I can see where Pheroze first safari could of been quite hectic. That many people along for the trip and him making sure that everything ran smoothly.

I think that was a big part of it. I thought I would only go once and wanted to share it with the family. Silly me. Now I want to go a lot and I am done trying to share! Lol

Have fun, wish you the best experience !

Enjoy Your Trip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg