Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Ducks unlimited
Hunted
U.S.A. South africa
Hey guys I am trying to getting my rifle dialed in for my trip to SA and I am not sure if I should use the 140 gr Barnes load I have already. I am having second and 3rd thoughts if I should go heavier like 160 gr Barnes or 160 nosler partitions. I will be hunting plains game the largest being kudu.

Don’t worry about the 140 gr TSX. My wife , dad and I have killed over 40 animals with our .280 using the 140 gr TSX. Big animals so far have been: Eland, 2 Kudu, 3 Black WB, 6 Blue WB, 5 Zebra and many other smaller animals. All were 1 shot kills. If you do your part, I have complete confidence that the 140 gr bullet will do fine. Enjoy your hunt, practice shooting off of sticks and make some wonderful memories!

Don't over think it. Its easy to do and we all go through it. Just take your rifle with what works and go have fun.

Agree with @Mekaniks ... Don't over think it... Put your bullet where it belongs, and a 140gr TTSX out of a .280 will easily drop a kudu and anything on your list that is smaller...

I know of a particular pre-teen that dropped a kudu with a .243 using 100gr bullets..

If you do your job properly, your rifle and bullet combo will have no problem doing theirs.. you should have a wonderful hunt..

Hey guys I am trying to getting my rifle dialed in for my trip to SA and I am not sure if I should use the 140 gr Barnes load I have already. I am having second and 3rd thoughts if I should go heavier like 160 gr Barnes or 160 nosler partitions. I will be hunting plains game the largest being kudu.
@Bigry
If Barnes do a 140 or 150gn TTSX even better. Go with the TTSX and have fun.
Bob

A bull kudu is not a small animal, moreover they are usually found to light to heavy cover. I think that a 160 7mm bullet would be better than a lighter bullet. Usual caveat - shot placement counts.

If @BRICKBURN can take all that and more with a 270 Win using 130 grain TTSX, your 280 AI with 140 grain TTSX is more than capable.

Making My Way To BARNES

I have shot a lot of Barnes bullets over multiple calibers and the 140 gr TSX is a great bullet.
If you have not thought about it, my "go to" Barnes bullet in my 7mm RUM is the 145 gr LRX. I would think that would also be a great bullet for your 280 AI.
I load mine with H1000.

My 280 ai loves the 145 lrx. 140 tsx or ttsx would be perfect as well. I am a huge barnes fan in general but the heavier bullets tend to be very long and need a faster rate of twist than my bergara has.
Yes, the largest bullet I can shoot in my 9 1/2 twist 7mm RUM is the 160 gr TSX. On my first trip to Africa I tried loading the 175 gr TSX and they were keyholing on me so I dropped down to the 160 gr TSX and they performed extremely well but since then I have had such good performance with the 145 gr LRX that is all I shoot now.

I have the browning hells canyon with an 8 twist barrel so I should be able to shoot most all heavy bullets. I will go ahead and stick with what I have. This load will shoot 5 shots in a 1/2 at 100 yards. Thanks for all the insight

I prefer Barnes. I’ve also learned to appreciate a heavier bullet that has the best BC and that I can confidently shoot well. That said, you don’t need the heaviest bullet to ethically kill plains game. As most have stated; you do need to be confident in your shot placement or the rest won’t really matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you