270 winchester bullet performance question 150 partitions and A frames

Looking at well constructed heavier for caliber bullets for the ability to perform on larger game and heavy bone if hit, as well as work for deer. I have 150sst and 150 partitions already and totally confident in them for handling most all game I would use a 270 on, just curious if the a frames might be even better particularly for elk moose or other large stuff

Both are more than needed for deer sized game. The last buck that I shot with a 270 was with a 130gr Hornady interlock. The deer was facing me so was shot in the chest. The bullet penetrated about 36" before exiting. Surely nothing tougher is needed.
good bullet for deer. However I am looking for something that can handle heavy bone if hit and still get job done with minimal risk of failure. I feel more confident in the heavier for caliber tougher bullets for this job and am hearing the 150 a frames are excellent for this

Looking at well constructed heavier for caliber bullets for the ability to perform on larger game and heavy bone if hit, as well as work for deer. I have 150sst and 150 partitions already and totally confident in them for handling most all game I would use a 270 on, just curious if the a frames might be even better particularly for elk moose or other large stuff

good bullet for deer. However I am looking for something that can handle heavy bone if hit and still get job done with minimal risk of failure. I feel more confident in the heavier for caliber tougher bullets for this job and am hearing the 150 a frames are excellent for this
In that case the 150gr partitions or the A frames would be just the ticket.

I have killed several dozen animals with 270. My favorite bullet is 140 grain accubond. With a max. Load of 760. Deer, hogs, bears, kudu, wildebeast , aoudad. Has worked great. Shot a few hog last week with 150 grain long range accubonds in a 270wsm was very impressive. Bullets loaded to maximum length seem to group a little better.

Wanted to get some first hand info on the bullet performance of the 270 winchester loaded with 150 Partitions and 150 A frames and if anyone has used the 150 SST hornady bullets how those performed too.
Loaded 150 grain sst bullets in 270 wsm. Results were terrible on deer and hogs. Bullets fall apart on impact. On 150 pound animals no exit wounds ,bullets in small pieces.

I've got a few boxes of .277 caliber 160 grain Nosler Partitions. I haven't tried then yet, I don't know if my rifle will stabilize them. If they shoot OK I bet they will hit like "The Hammer of Thor".
I load the 160 Partitions for a couple 1-10 twist M70s and they are some of the best shooting bullets I’ve found. (I use either MagPro, or H-1000).
Like others have said the .270 kills with almost boring efficiency. Large bull moose are not a problem with careful shot placement.

Loaded 150 grain sst bullets in 270 wsm. Results were terrible on deer and hogs. Bullets fall apart on impact. On 150 pound animals no exit wounds ,bullets in small pieces.
How was the killing performance? I understand they were not exiting and breaking up but if the deer were DRT with significant internal damage that might be okay as I was hoping that the soft sst would open reliably even at longer range for med size and smaller big game such as beaver woodchuck groundhog smaller deer sheep fox coyote hog and similar type game and the partition or a frame for larger stuff with hopes that the 2 bullets being the same weight might shoot to a similar point of aim and allow me to handle most everything with a 270 using just 2 loads. I am thinking more and more the 150 partition will cover the full range of game the 270 is suited for on its own and that will simplify things even further

How was the killing performance? I understand they were not exiting and breaking up but if the deer were DRT with significant internal damage that might be okay as I was hoping that the soft sst would open reliably even at longer range for med size and smaller big game such as beaver woodchuck groundhog smaller deer sheep fox coyote hog and similar type game and the partition or a frame for larger stuff with hopes that the 2 bullets being the same weight might shoot to a similar point of aim and allow me to handle most everything with a 270 using just 2 loads. I am thinking more and more the 150 partition will cover the full range of game the 270 is suited for on its own and that will simplify things even further

Go with the 150 grain long range nosler accubonds. Very accurate open up and retain weight as good as partitions easier to load with boattail. Sst killing results were not good. And no blood trails. I want an exit wound.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will use the 150sst I have for target practice and try to find some of those accubonds. Appreciate the information.

Go with the 150 grain long range nosler accubonds. Very accurate open up and retain weight as good as partitions easier to load with boattail. Sst killing results were not good. And no blood trails. I want an exit wound.

Partitions and A-Frames are great bullets, to answer the OP. My experience with the SST has been quite good too. Lots of one shot kills, 9 African PG, Yukon Dall sheep, Wyoming antelope and NZ red deer. I have a lot of SST bullets and will use them all up and slowly starting to switch over to the ELD-X, which is sort of a new and improved SST.

There's nothing short of thick skinned DG that I wouldn't poke with a 150 Partition.
I haven't loaded any A-Frames or SST's so I can't speak to them, but I do plan to try some A-Frame 150's, Partition 160's Accubond 165's & 175's and some Woodleigh 180's. I've got 270's in 8 twist, 8.5 twist and a 9 twist to see which is optimal for the heavier bullets.
150 Partitions over Reloader 26 with Federal 215 primers in Federal nickel plated brass is giving me velocities from 3000-3200 depending on which rifle.

Some on this site have thought it near impossible to get any 150 gr .270 Win bullet getting close to 3200 fps with RL-26, but you have it here as well.
In a 24 inch barrel, you should be able to squeeze out the max velocity of the .270 Win!
You should have good results with a really good 140 gr bullet as well, if not better.
Shot placement is king. You do your part, the .270 Win won’t let you down.
The late Ross Seyfried, a PH in Africa, and hunting writer, actually preferred his .270 on PG, because it was light recoiling, and devastating to receive.

Hawk

Just not a fan of shooting animals with fast-moving cup and core bullets. to be sure, millions of deer, elk, black bear, and African PG have been killed with them. but anymore, there just isn't a reason to not use bonded or mono bullets out of fast movers like 270 Win is.

Or, just slow then down to ~ 2800 fps at the muzzle.

While Partition/TSX/Trophy Copper bullets at higher velocity work very well in the .270 Winchester?

So does the 150 gr. Speer Grand Slam or Remington Core-Lokt at moderate velocities.

Given good shot placement on deer and hogs, they kill just as quick, and usually result in a sizable pass-through as well.

Red

I'm a big fan of Grand Slams at moderate velocities. I worked up some tack-driving loads for 180 gr for my sons' 308 Wins, MV is a little over 2500. They do very well in our deer woods where shooting distances are often no more than 50 yards.

That's the complicating bit for new hunters/shooters. A 180 gr GS is fine for that environment, but 150 gr GS at 2800-3000 wouldn't be the direction I'd want to go. It'll work, there are just better options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg