Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA
I'll get right to the point here, is .270 Winchester enough gun for plains game up to and including wildebeest? Obviously I'd use 150gr Nosler Partitions if I were to take my .270, but I'm open to buying a new rifle and putting in the time between now and whenever I get to go to know it like I do my .270.

Should I make the move to .300 Win Mag? .338 Federal for similar power to the .270 but larger bullets? Or just bite the bullet and get a .375, probably something in .375 Ruger for me?

I'm eager to hear your responses.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Yes and no.

Yes, if you want to take a 270. Shot placement and a good bullet are key as always.

No, if you need an excuse to buy a new rifle. In fact you should probably buy one of each caliber you asked about, just to be safe.

Last edited:

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Yes its enough, with shot placement and good ammo no problem. On the other hand, a .300 Win mag is a great all over the world gun that can take down a lot of stuff!

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Oh yeah, and .375 H&H good gun for about everything!

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
.270 with a quality 150 gr bullet will be an absolutely adequate rifle for the game you list.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Oh yeah, and .375 H&H good gun for about everything!

+1 I had an '06 but got the 375 for my safari. Very glad I did, what a great cartridge.

Aaron Nietfeld

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
.270 will certainly do the job! I used 130gr Barnes TTSX and would recommend them, but partitions are great bullets too!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
..., I have heard more PH's comment/complaints about guys showing up in fancy new cloths with monster guns they have never shot before, than someone showing up with a "lighter" rifle they can shoot well.
If the PH has an issue with a 270 send him here for an education. Better yet, move on to another experienced PH.

My first hunt in Africa was entirely with 130 TTSX in 270 Win.
Everything I shot at is on my wall! Need I say more!

.270 is my pet, so that's what you'll hear from me.
I've taken everything from Steenbok to Giraffe with 130 grain TTSX.

130 TTSX .270 Thick skinned Giraffe at 80 yards. One in the heart (typical shot placement) and the other into the heart lungs after a departure up hill. Down within 50 yards.

What Spike said!
IMG_2859.jpg

Read some older threads......

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...unter-want-me-to-bring-more-than-a-270.26181/

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/270-7x57-or-30-06.30620/#post-289316

James Cook

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, NRA Life, B.A.S.S., Ducks Unlimted
Hunted
Namibia, Mexico, Argentina, Canada, U.S. - LA, TX, OK, AR, AL, SC, GA, KS
- practical answer - yes - ph's will tell you to bring your "deer rifle" that you shoot well, with quality ammo and heavy for caliber bullet for pg hunt
- the "i'd really like to buy a new rifle" answer - heck no - at the wrong angle or less than perfect shot situation, you need all the gun you can get. pick the rifle you like best that fits the budget, and buy it.:W Sniper:

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
As pretty much everyone has already said, a 270 will be fine if you use a good bullet.

I understand that you want to use partitions. The partition was a great bullet in its day (at a time when many/most people would have said a 270 is probably a little light) but there are better bullets available now. A monometal bullet or something like a north fork is going to let you get away with a relatively light caliber on relatively big game.

If you really want to use a partition, you might want to step up to something heavier than a 270. You'll get away with a 270 and partitions if you choose your shots carefully and shoot perfectly but why travel half way around the world and handicap yourself?

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Yes you should absolutely use your .270. And yes you should absolutely buy a 375. And take them both :)

JakeH

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA
As pretty much everyone has already said, a 270 will be fine if you use a good bullet.

I understand that you want to use partitions. The partition was a great bullet in its day (at a time when many/most people would have said a 270 is probably a little light) but there are better bullets available now. A monometal bullet or something like a north fork is going to let you get away with a relatively light caliber on relatively big game.

If you really want to use a partition, you might want to step up to something heavier than a 270. You'll get away with a 270 and partitions if you choose your shots carefully and shoot perfectly but why travel half way around the world and handicap yourself?

What factory loads would you recommend then, as I'm not a handloader?

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
If your trip is taking place soon I would go ahead and use my 270 with the 150gr. partitions. There no sense in messing with a new rifle or load.

Aaron Nietfeld

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
You can get Barnes Vor-TX in 130gr cruising at 3060fps. Should be plenty adequate as long as your gun likes them! What make/model of .270?

JakeH

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA
If your trip is taking place soon I would go ahead and use my 270 with the 150gr. partitions. There no sense in messing with a new rifle or load.

Oh, no time soon. I'm still in the earliest stages of determining how, where, what, and with who I want to hunt.

You can get Barnes Vor-TX in 130gr cruising at 3060fps. Should be plenty adequate as long as your gun likes them! What make/model of .270?

Steyr Pro Hunter with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I saw a couple in a hunting store in central Namibia. If the locals use it, you know it works.

As for factory ammo.

Barnes VorTx in 130 grain TTSX

Norma ammo in 150 grain Oryx bonded

Nosler Custom in 130 grain Nosler Accubond

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media

My first choice would be to try the Barnes. I've had very good results from TTSX bullets as have many others. Very reliable bullets. Ryan's other suggestions are also good if the TTSX doesn't shoot well in your rifle.

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
My first choice would be to try the Barnes. I've had very good results from TTSX bullets as have many others. Very reliable bullets. Ryan's other suggestions are also good if the TTSX doesn't shoot well in your rifle.

Totally agree with this and Berts previous comment on the partition.

I just hunted pg with a .375 and 260gr partitions last month... while they certainly did the job with the .375... I was amazed at the performance of my wife's .308 shooting 165gr Barnes vor-tx...

Much more consistent performance out of the Barnes... those ttsx simply hammered everything they were shot at...

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
Everyone is still trying to build a bullet better than the Partition. I have shot them for over 40yrs and over 300 animals. PG would be no problem. I have used and seen quite a few of the monumetals used. Seem to work excellent within a certain velocity range. If you have to take a long shot where your velocity has dropped significantly they tend to not open up well.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caubachthu68

Latest profile posts

Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on Milan's profile.
I do not know where this video was posted, but I would very much like to see it.
Al Burke wrote on Milan's profile.
Hello Milan, I just watched your video on disassembling/reassembling the CZ 550. I have spent days looking for something like this. I now have no reservations taking apart my rifle. I like to do this with all my guns so I understand them "inside and out". Thank you very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated.
Al
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
raamw wrote on krish's profile.
send me your email.