264 What loading to pick

Jeff Garcia

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Anyone have field experience with the 264 Winchester on plains game have 2 moa loads 120 TTSX and the 140 Nosler Accubond. Black Wildebeest and Kudu maybe backup for Zebra. Thoughts appreciated

Why not take some of each and be prepared for just anout anything in open country.

I don't own one, but I would suggest taking the heavier bullet for PG, especially the game you mentioned.

I have one and a lot of data on different bullets/loads. The TTSX load would be my choice. I would also consider using a 140gr Swift A-Frame.
I did not take mine to Africa. We have used 257Roberts(all sorts including Kudu and Zebra and Red Hartebeest) using 120gr A-Frames, 257W using 100gr TTSX and 120gr A-Frames, 30-06 with 150gr TTSX and lastly a 338win mag with 225gr A-Frames.
If I get to go a 3rd trip I would consider my 264win mag with 140gr A-Frames unless I get a 6.5X300Weatherby.

If you like some data let me know. If you are shooting hand loads seat your TTSX bullets DEEP so that the top relief groove is just showing, push them as fast as you can for better accuracy and terminal performance. Also super clean the barrel before using Barnes bullets and if you shoot other brands after shooting Barnes. That means no #9. I use wipe-out, follow with Barnes CR-10 or Sweets 7.62, followed by Butches Bore Shine. Then I can shoot as many Barnes without fouling. But if I shoot regular bullets I need to super clean again.
You should be able to get the Barnes to shoot a very small cloverleaf group at 100 yards.

Thanks Divernhunter for your input, may have time to work with the A Frames. Will be hunting late April with your friends Cois and Francois. And to others sorry this hit the wrong thread

You will have fun. Tell them Doug Thomas said Hi and I am starting a new hit list for the next trip if I can make one. Where are you located? If you want to contact me I can give you some pointers. Be sure to take some time to go to the Cheetah Breeding Research place just down the road from them. They have a great gift shop and many other cats and such there.

I have had very good results here in new Zealand shooting Burger vlds 140 gran on tahr which are very solid animals, albeit at extended ranges past 400 mts

Anyone have field experience with the 264 Winchester on plains game have 2 moa loads 120 TTSX and the 140 Nosler Accubond. Black Wildebeest and Kudu maybe backup for Zebra. Thoughts appreciated

You may find that ammo is basically non-existent where you hunt if your ammo goes astray in transit. This cartridge will “deck” these plains game. The only criticism would be in using too light Bullets being driven hard. 2 MOA will be okay but I suggest that you may want to mess with powders etc to tighten that group.
The 264 is a big barrel burner and maybe by backing off by a couple of grains of powder your groups will tighten and the Bullets may penetrate more! Just my thoughts and if it helps, good.

I think he means that he has 2 different loads that are MOA. I used some 160 gr AB's in my 7 SAUM 2 yrs ago and they did a good job. No complaints. The TTSX are a great bullet to look at. Brickburn on here started a thread about migrating to Barnes bullets. Might try the search function and look it up. You already have a good load so I'll just make an observation or two. Barnes bullets are very reliable, but seem to work best when run fast. Your rifle will do that! I suspect that most of your bullets will fully penetrate both sides which seems to be preferred in Africa to help with blood trails. All in all either will do a good job. In your caliber I'd use the Barnes.
Bruce

Dittos on using the heavier bullet. Try your Accubond load with a Swift A Frame. The group size should tell you what bullet to use. Good luck.

Doug, Live in central Oregon. This will my wife's and mine 2nd trip with Iliwa she had such a great time last year she booked this year as we were paying our bill. Think I will take the 264 and Ttsx and let you know how it preformed
Jeff

That combo will work just fine. Let me know how things go. 2017 was my 2nd trip and it was great. I spent a month there. My 257W with 100gr TTSX worked very well and as usual the 338win mag with 225gr Swift A-Frames did the job also.

my thoughts on the 264 is it is a specialized long range round. Depending where you are hunting 300yds may be a very long shot. At 300yds there is effectively no practical difference between most hunting rounds in terms of trajectory. As Dr. Ray stated if your luggage gets sent to Timbukto you are screwed. Bring what you shoot well and if you need a flat shooter bring a 7mm mag or 300mag ammo is easy to find

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross