250 Partition 35 Whelen Bob Nelson 35 Whelen

Reading responses is always taken with a gain of salt. It is the hardest form of communication due to the lack of being able to read anything else (tone of voice, body language, eyes to name a few). While it might be the truest statement, 99% or the reloading world reads brass.

I have no problem with being wrong. Personally I like to find new and better ways. That is why I asked how is this test being performed? I'm still not sure as you have not really answered the question. You have several guys here seeing one thing (because that is the way we know). You are saying scientific method, we have asked what that method is. You have not listed it, I'm asking for the education. I'm sure others here would like to know as well. If you don't want to answer, that is fine too.

Can you read and comprehend? My loads were pressure tested. Shit in a rifle with strain guage attached.
I posted those results above. Jeez

FWIW, Quickload shows a projected pressure increase of 3,150 psi for a 1.0 grain increase of CFE223, near the top of the projected pressure/velocity chart for the 35 Whelen.

FWIW, Quickload shows a projected pressure increase of 3,150 psi for a 1.0 grain increase of CFE223, near the top of the projected pressure/velocity chart for the 35 Whelen.

64 grains pressure tested average pressure was 53,700 PSI, adding 3,150 which sounds accurate would bring the pressure to 56,850 PSI

From another web site where I posted this same data

CZ550 said:
Yeah, "back in the day" RL-15, Varget, etc, but there are much better powders now that have safely added 300 fps to the old formulas from equal length barrels. 2700 fps is now a "normal" goal from 250 grainers. Then, it's been finally "realized" that Saami pressure is NOT 52,000 psi, but 52, 000 CUP which is 62,000 PSI!

All former manual loads were based on the false conception that CUP and PSI were the same pressure! Then when Remington made the .35 Whelen legit, and published their 250gr at 2400 fps from a 24" barrel, THAT became the standard in the minds of writers, technicians and hobbyists. That is, except for some of us!

From a 24" barrel using "new" powders, like those mentioned, 2700 fps from 250s is the "new normal" within 62,000 PSI.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Reading responses is always taken with a gain of salt. It is the hardest form of communication due to the lack of being able to read anything else (tone of voice, body language, eyes to name a few). While it might be the truest statement, 99% or the reloading world reads brass.

I have no problem with being wrong. Personally I like to find new and better ways. That is why I asked how is this test being performed? I'm still not sure as you have not really answered the question. You have several guys here seeing one thing (because that is the way we know). You are saying scientific method, we have asked what that method is. You have not listed it, I'm asking for the education. I'm sure others here would like to know as well. If you don't want to answer, that is fine too.
@Inline6
My method is to start low and work up to Max. If I achieve the velocities I want and accuracy I desire. If I get no pressure signs using case head expansion method I will push the envelope a bit butas soon as case heads show to much expansion I back off.
Bob

Interesting thread. I'm using same combo in a 24" barrel and getting 2675fps. Was very happy with it. Speers clock quite a bit slower at just under 2600. But the partition shoots better. Anyone want to offload some 250 partitions let me know. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.