AH enthusiast
Reaction score
1885 Highwall 28" 10 twist barrel, Fed 215 primer RP cases
65 grains of CFE223

20230326-140055.jpg
20230326-164949.jpg
20230326-165156.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the case head is starting to show some pressure signs?

Hard to tell from a pic, but possibly a little bit of firing pin cratering on the primer and a visible ejector mark. Whether that's "near max" or something more, it's worth looking at (IMO).

I eagerly await Professor Bob 35Whelen's response. :)

Is the case head is starting to show some pressure signs?

Hard to tell from a pic, but possibly a little bit of firing pin cratering on the primer and a visible ejector mark. Whether that's "near max" or something more, it's worth looking at (IMO).
Those conditions would be when Bob STARTS his run up to 3Kfps! LOL

The primer isn't flat. I see no ejector marks and no catering that I can see
The pressure test that I had performed on 64 grain loads averaged 53,700 PSI

What @shootist~ is talking about are these indicators marked in red. My eyes see an ejector mark, it could be the light hard to tell, either way the ring around the fire pin strike looks raised. Then the edges of the primer are starting to flatten. Yes I have seen worse, regardless it looks like with what's in the picture, pressure signs.

One thing the program you are using can not account for is how hot is that lot of powder. I had a batch of H4350, same charge weight, on the same scale, same lot of primer, brass, rifle. I sent rounds at 200 yards and the group was over an inch and was high by .2 mils. I was getting heavy bolt lift. It was not adding up. Checked the speeds I should have 3040fps I was pushing 3180. I had to adjust my powder charge by 1.7grs to get back in my node.

Sorry for the long story, Bottom line, from the pictures I see pressure too.
Screenshot_20230326_223005_Chrome.jpg

Has to be the light because I don't see that when I look at the case. Primer indent looks the same as a factory load in this rifle.

I can't see pressure jumping from a 5 shot average of 53,700 PSI at 64 grains to being over pressure at 65 grains.

Speer data shows 64.1 grains CFE223 behind 250 grain bullet for 2664 FPS. I'm at 65 grains with 4" more barrel length. At 15 FPS per inch added to 60+2664=2724 FPS and I'm at 2731 FPS.
That doesn't seem out of line to me

Has to be the light because I don't see that when I look at the case. Primer indent looks the same as a factory load in this rifle.

I can't see pressure jumping from a 5 shot average of 53,700 PSI at 64 grains to being over pressure at 65 grains.

What are you basing 53700psi on?

Speer data shows 64.1 grains CFE223 behind 250 grain bullet for 2664 FPS. I'm at 65 grains with 4" more barrel length. At 15 FPS per inch added to 60+2664=2724 FPS and I'm at 2731 FPS.
That doesn't seem out of line to me

What type of barrel do you have? I have had fast, slow, and average barrels. Don't take it as being critical, just a couple of guys on the net that see something in a picture. We are trying to look out for you nothing more than that.

I had those loads pressure tested

View attachment 525406

That looks like some type of calculations based program, I have not seen it before. Not sure if that is a reloading program? It does not appear to say anything about a strain Guage, I could be missing it.

If it is indeed a pressure measurement system, I'm all ears and would love to more about it.

Mine started life as a 30/06 JESS Rebored it to 35 Whelen.
While you are looking out for me did you notice the pressure data that I posted? I had my loads pressure tested. Those loads were loaded when I had a tough time getting brass, so there were different brand cases with differing internal capacities.
I've been reloading since I was a Jr. in high-school which was 67/68 school year.
I had a 475 Linebaugh revolver when you had to shorten 45-70 cases and make your on bullets and load them. I fact I shot the first bear and moose ever with that handgun cartridge I. 1988.
Thank you for your concern but I'm not a rookie at this.
IMR4895, 4064, as well as most conventional powders for the Whelen can't match CFE223 or 2000MR for speed with 250 grain bullets.

I am in no way doubting your experience as a hand loader, but I too see a problem. Probably pressure, but could be excessive headspace.
To follow up @Inline6 are those loads just calculated through a computer program, or with pressure testing equipment on the rifle?
I noticed Nosler has no published data for the 250 partition and CFE 223, while borrowing data from Speer is a good guide, it’s possibly the nosler builds more pressure.
I think it’s worth comparing the brass from lighter loads.

I am in no way doubting your experience as a hand loader, but I too see a problem. Probably pressure, but could be excessive headspace.
To follow up @Inline6 are those loads just calculated through a computer program, or with pressure testing equipment on the rifle?
I noticed Nosler has no published data for the 250 partition and CFE 223, while borrowing data from Speer is a good guide, it’s possibly the nosler builds more pressure.
I think it’s worth comparing the brass from lighter loads.
I posted the pressure test result. Not a computer program. That brass has been realized before. Reading primers and looking at case heads is not an accurate way of guage pressure at all

I posted the pressure test result. Not a computer program. That brass has been realized before. Reading primers and looking at case heads is not an accurate way of guage pressure at all

Reading responses is always taken with a gain of salt. It is the hardest form of communication due to the lack of being able to read anything else (tone of voice, body language, eyes to name a few). While it might be the truest statement, 99% or the reloading world reads brass.

I have no problem with being wrong. Personally I like to find new and better ways. That is why I asked how is this test being performed? I'm still not sure as you have not really answered the question. You have several guys here seeing one thing (because that is the way we know). You are saying scientific method, we have asked what that method is. You have not listed it, I'm asking for the education. I'm sure others here would like to know as well. If you don't want to answer, that is fine too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg