25-06 AI

I think Varget is the best allround powder in .308. My Remington M40 just loves it as did my PSS. 44grs is about perfect. In my M1A I like 45grs of R15 with the Sierra 175 Match King, super accurate. I found that at least in recent lots of the two powders that R15 is much slower burning than Varget at least in one application even though burn rate charts have them usually side by side. Varget has become the powder of choice in my Win 1895 .405 Win. Similar doses of R15 ran 150fps slower which really surprised me. But I do own a chronograph and have since the mid 1980's. Your Tikka should be 22 inches no? But remember also there is such a thing as "fast" barrels and "slow" barrels. I had a Douglas barreled .280 Rem that my friends improved version could not equal in speed. Burned the hell out of him!;)

I think Varget is the best allround powder in .308. My Remington M40 just loves it as did my PSS. 44grs is about perfect. In my M1A I like 45grs of R15 with the Sierra 175 Match King, super accurate. I found that at least in recent lots of the two powders that R15 is much slower burning than Varget at least in one application even though burn rate charts have them usually side by side. Varget has become the powder of choice in my Win 1895 .405 Win. Similar doses of R15 ran 150fps slower which really surprised me. But I do own a chronograph and have since the mid 1980's. Your Tikka should be 22 inches no? But remember also there is such a thing as "fast" barrels and "slow" barrels. I had a Douglas barreled .280 Rem that my friends improved version could not equal in speed. Burned the hell out of him!;)

I do believe the Tikka is a 22" barrel. And it may be a slow barrel. I'd guess this to be the case if the barrel was cut on the short side thus causing a bit more friction. Which would also explain why the TSX/TTSX bullets copper foul that barrel so quickly.

Whatever the case, the durn thing sure is accurate.

I have heard all good things about the Tikka rifles. I think contrary to advertisement, TSX bullets foul as quickly as any bullet, maybe quicker.

I have heard all good things about the Tikka rifles. I think contrary to advertisement, TSX bullets foul as quickly as any bullet, maybe quicker.

I'm convinced it depends on the barrel. I've got three rifles that foul very quickly using the Barnes bullets at a much higher rate than other bullets. But the Ruger No.1 I got this spring has no issue with them and fouls no quicker than others.

From what I've read the copper in the Barnes bullets is a softer copper than conventional lead core bullets. Intuitively that makes sense to me. Since there's no lead, if they make them out of a softer copper then they'll shed a bit and then you stay away from pressure issues. Makes sense to me, but that doesn't make it necessarily so.

Sorry Rottie for the thread drift.

A kid hunting with his dad that was in our group in June killed a Gemsbok with the garden variety 25-06 and I think 120gr projectiles of some sorts. I think the shot was some 200 yards plus too. As much as I love the partition, in that caliber for those species I'd prefer an A-Frame, NorthFork or TSX/TTSX.

I too think the caliber is a bit light for that big a critter. I also think a .308Win is too light for Eland, but I allowed my son to kill one with his....so go figure.
@PHOENIX PHIL
I would agree with you but include the 110 grain accubonds. My choice would have to be the Swifts.
Bob

2750 and a 165gr in .308 Win? Man I'd like to know your load for that Ses. The most I could get accurately was 2600. I could get a little more but not as accurate and pressure signs coming on.
@ PHOENIX PHIL
In my son's Howa 308 with a 22inch barrel I'm getting 2,900fps with the 150 grain accubonds and close to 2,800 with 168 grains Sierra MKBT.
Bob.

I do believe the Tikka is a 22" barrel. And it may be a slow barrel. I'd guess this to be the case if the barrel was cut on the short side thus causing a bit more friction. Which would also explain why the TSX/TTSX bullets copper foul that barrel so quickly.

Whatever the case, the durn thing sure is accurate.

I believe 22 and 7/16 inches

@ PHOENIX PHIL
In my son's Howa 308 with a 22inch barrel I'm getting 2,900fps with the 150 grain accubonds and close to 2,800 with 168 grains Sierra MKBT.
Bob.

I read once in awhile of those get .30-06 speeds from the .308. I suppose I could get it in my son's rifle, but the load I'm quite certain would not be accurate.

I read once in awhile of those get .30-06 speeds from the .308. I suppose I could get it in my son's rifle, but the load I'm quite certain would not be accurate.
@ PHOENIX PHIL
The load I use in my son's Howa is straight out of the Hogdon guide. It's 50 grains of cfe223 behind a 150grain accubonds. This gives regular less than half inch groups at 100 yards.
Sgt Zim uses the same powder and gets great velocity and accuracy.
To top it off cfe223 virtually eliminates copper fouling. I haven't cleaned my son's rifle in over 300 rounds and still virtually copper free.
Bob

I am quite astounded by the thinking; if a small fast bullet is not ideal then maybe faster is better?
Velocity is only your friend on the open plains past 300m. For all other hunting I would take bullet weight over velocity every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!