220 swift for big game?

would you hunt big game with the 220 swift?

• yes

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • no

Votes: 57 91.9%

• Total voters
@shark_za
Speer has been making a 70gn .224 semi pointed spitter for years specifically designed for the 22/250 and swift for use on white tail deer.
I used this bullet in a Remington 788 22/250 on pigs and goats to great effect back in the late 70s. The bullet was designed for the slow twist barrels of the day.
I see this bullet on the website now, long parallel lines to keep length down with the heavier weight.
Better than shooting 55gr PMP bullets that for sure.

I've played a little with both the 17 Rem, and the 22.250 A I; if we want to step up in the size of the game we hunt we'd need heavier, more stoutly constructed bullets. Berger produced a 30 grain pill (still only a varmint bullet) and there are a couple of custom makers... For the fast 22s, again fast twist barrels and heavier, stoutly constructed pills again; the above-mentioned Speer, RWS 74 cone Point, Bergers and Sierras up to 90 grains (Neither tough enough, IMHO) or Barnes TSX, 70 grs up ... I don't condone any of then for game above 50 pounds ... but I'll stand corrected.
Berger has been sold, I believe, and the more esoteric bullets in their range seem to have disappeared, sadly.

I have a .223 with a 1/8 twist that I have used with 70gr. Swift Scirroco 2's. Very effective on deer and coyotes.

WDM Bell used a Winchester Model 70 in .220 Swift to successfully take Scottish red stags weighing up to 210 pounds. He had mixed results with it. He documents instant success when perfect neck shots could be made. But he also documents disconcerting failures, when body shots had to be made. To quote him “ One must at at costs avoid touching bone. The 48Gr soft nosed bullet will simply blow up and one is handed a nasty job and a bad conscience“.

Personally speaking, I would not recommend tackling deer with anything smaller than a 5.6x52mm R.

I set my minimum with the .243 & that’s with a 100gr softpoint bullet.

Ok Bob, have at me……
@F. Vaccaro
Mate if you are matching bullet to game all good but to many 243 owners don't and have miserable failures.
My personal minimum is 25 cal with 100gn TTSX and cup and core depending on game. I don't believe in wasting premium bullets on game like pigs, goats and smaller deer. 115gn and 117grain plus the 100gn TTSX for bigger deer.and medium game.
Bob

@F. Vaccaro
Mate if you are matching bullet to game all good but to many 243 owners don't and have miserable failures.
My personal minimum is 25 cal with 100gn TTSX and cup and core depending on game. I don't believe in wasting premium bullets on game like pigs, goats and smaller deer. 115gn and 117grain plus the 100gn TTSX for bigger deer.and medium game.
Bob
A good Hornaday 100gr softpoint eats rock chucks too. The 100 gr Hornaday is becoming my go to bullet in the .243 & I DON’T take it elk hunting.

A good Hornaday 100gr softpoint eats rock chucks too. The 100 gr Hornaday is becoming my go to bullet in the .243 & I DON’T take it elk hunting.

I use the 100 gr Sierra to good effect. Unfortunately my .243 has become a safe Queen. It’s hard to grab a .243 when there’s a 7x57 sitting there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammie2072

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross