The ammo
20211109_122527.jpg

Sig P320
20211109_111237.jpg

Sig P365XL
20211109_111010.jpg
20211109_111010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems pretty hot- but then it's been 30+ years since I've had a 9mm.

What's the reason for this? We are stopping bears in body armor and don't own other guns?

I'm wondering why. Usually when folks load the hard cast they are looking for penetration. Penetration without expansion is not what is go for in a 9mm for defense.

I'm wondering why. Usually when folks load the hard cast they are looking for penetration. Penetration without expansion is not what is go for in a 9mm for defense.

I can assure that a flat inflicts an excellent wound channel I've shot a lot of game and I can assure you that you would believe the wound channel was indeed caused by a hollow point with much better penetration.

I can assure that a flat inflicts an excellent wound channel I've shot a lot of game and I can assure you that you would believe the wound channel was indeed caused by a hollow point with much better penetration.
I can assure you that I don't want to defend that statement in a court of law.
"Are you hunting people sir?"
"The defendant's deliberate use of handloaded ammunition to a specification far above published reloading manuals speaks to premeditation to kill or cause excessive and grievous bodily harm."
Rather than just using whatever the local PD is using to effective stop threats to public safety which negates their argument against your ammunition choice. Your reloading data will not be allowed in your defense, but it will be used against you. You might justify its use against a wild meth head on a hiking trail as well I had the gun loaded for bear defense and tweaky came along unexpectedly and it was all I had to defend myself with, but hand loading to excess pressure and championing it for increased lethality on a public forum...is like nails on a chalkboard. You might check out Massad Ayoob. He's a pretty smart guy and he's got some good reasons not to use handloaded ammunition. Actual case studies where it has gone wrong for the good guy.

What about a methed out bear? There is probably a ACLU type bunch that specifically protects LGBTQ bears and bears with substance abuse problems so that defense might not hold water either!

That would be a good woods carry load and effective for a number of things that come to mind. I generally carry a 40 S&W with a 200 gr hard cast in the woods in the lower 48. I see good velocities with that style of bullet too. Is lead slick, does the bullet design give less bearing surface, does the lead conform to the barrel quicker than a copper jacket, … dunno. But mine are fairly fast too, and not hand loads.

Just tell the naysayers it’s a medium bore 35 caliber with a flat meplat solid and they will likely quiet down.

400 ft lbs energy in a 9 mm is excellent. Penetration must be impressive. FWB

I can assure you that I don't want to defend that statement in a court of law.
"Are you hunting people sir?"
"The defendant's deliberate use of handloaded ammunition to a specification far above published reloading manuals speaks to premeditation to kill or cause excessive and grievous bodily harm."
Rather than just using whatever the local PD is using to effective stop threats to public safety which negates their argument against your ammunition choice. Your reloading data will not be allowed in your defense, but it will be used against you. You might justify its use against a wild meth head on a hiking trail as well I had the gun loaded for bear defense and tweaky came along unexpectedly and it was all I had to defend myself with, but hand loading to excess pressure and championing it for increased lethality on a public forum...is like nails on a chalkboard. You might check out Massad Ayoob. He's a pretty smart guy and he's got some good reasons not to use handloaded ammunition. Actual case studies where it has gone wrong for the good guy.

Massad Ayoob is your reference. You can't find a single case to support Ayoob's silly claim.
Second load is not my load. It is loaded by Lost River Ammo in Idaho. Buffalo Bore also produces the exact same load.

Massad Ayoob is your reference. You can't find a single case to support Ayoob's silly claim.
Second load is not my load. It is loaded by Lost River Ammo in Idaho. Buffalo Bore also produces the exact same load.
Underwoods and Double Tap also have same or similar options.

Well it's in a MTM box, in starline brass and you're posting chrono with no attribution to a manufacturer. Looks like handloads to me. Explaining it all to someone else sounds like fun. Great hunting load. Carry on.
Underwoods and Double Tap also have same or similar options.
They have their own head stamped brass too right? Double tap I know does but unsure of Underwood.

Well it's in a MTM box, in starline brass and you're posting chrono with no attribution to a manufacturer. Looks like handloads to me. Explaining it all to someone else sounds like fun. Great hunting load. Carry on.

They have their own head stamped brass too right? Double tap I know does but unsure of Underwood.

The last Underwood & Buffalo Bore ammo that I purchased were loaded in Starline brass.

I would use handloads and have no qualms about it, but these aren't reloads

The last Underwood & Buffalo Bore ammo that I purchased were loaded in Starline brass.

I would use handloads and have no qualms about it, but these aren't reloads
Really? Okay. I guess with everything going on there is no reason or time to individually denote ones brand.

No idea. I do know Starline makes quite a bit of brass. I simply buy 4-6 boxes of what I need, run about 1/2 of it through my proven pistol with proven mags and head to the woods for that season.

No idea. I do know Starline makes quite a bit of brass. I simply buy 4-6 boxes of what I need, run about 1/2 of it through my proven pistol with proven mags and head to the woods for that season.
I'm betting starline makes the headstamped brass. I think you could get it custom stamped at 10k units a few years ago.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!