How I almost went to Africa

@John the Electrician welcome to the AH forum.

Everytime I have hunted in Africa, I have thought how my dad would have loved to been on this type of hunt. You owe it to yourself and your dad's memory to book a hunt. BTW, I love it when an African PH refers to the venerable 30-06 as a "Springfield."

Hello John the Electrician,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Even if you don’t book with us up at Khomas Safaris, do book with someone in Africa, your father would want you to.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

A safari that never came to be for my family and myself led me to join this forum.

In 2016 my dad was fighting cancer and purchased a hunting trip to South Africa at an NRA banquet auction. He, myself and my brother planned to go. Unfortunately, dad became too sick too fast and the trip was never realized by us. I was bitten by the safari bug and have not given up on going someday.

At that time I went out and purchased a Cooper 30-06 with a nice wood stock, a classic cartridge for Africa. I have used that rifle to get a couple of whitetail and it reminds me of my dad and the trip we almost went on. I recently used that rifle hunting with my own son and got to thinking about a safari with him. So I began looking around on the Internet and, here I am, a new member to this forum.
Hello John. Sorry to hear of your loss. My dad is gone and I miss him dearly. As for a trip with your son,... do it! In 2019 I took my youngest daughter with me on a hunt in Namibia. She harvested 4 animals and made me very proud the way she handled herself and her shooting skill. To share that hunt with her was unbelievable. We both have memories of a lifetime. Life is too short to put off something like that. You wait too long and before you know it, it's too late. You won't regret it. Only problem will be when you start figuring out how to go back again.
Have a great day friend. Lot's of folks here who can answer your questions and help out.

I’ll just echo what has been said already-glad you found us, love your choice of rifle!

Thank you all for the welcome!

I really do see a trip to Africa in the future. My wife is a great and supporting spouse, pretty sure she will want to go too. She has a fascination with the pyramids, but I don't know about the safety of tourists in Egypt. Also, I have never heard of hunting up there.

My son is now just getting excited about hunting and shooting sports. I was blessed to be with him when he killed two deer this fall. He was calm and collected; I was shaking more than he was!

My dad got be hooked on Africa as well. Hemingway, Ruark, Capstick, Bell …. I devoured his books from an early age. We never needed anything a kids but he felt he didn’t have the disposable income for him to go so he didn’t.

Fast forward to his retirement party at age 65 and I took him for his first son/father safari. He’s come with me four times and says he has one or two left in him if Covid allows.

It’s a lot of money but probably doable. Use miles for air travel. Shoot a few reasonable animals and maybe even sacrifice the taxidermy and take lots of pics. It’s life changing.

Glad to have you here John. Good luck to you and your son on your future African hunt.

welcome John, please do not do what I did and keep putting the trip off, always other things seem to important so it is easy to put the trip off especially with your son ports then girls' then collage so do it now you will not regret it.I am finally going in about 2 months at 67 years but my son has no desire to go.probably my fault for working to much and not enough time with him. so go now

Giday John. Sorry for your lost safari with your father but welcome to the A H forums and the planning of new adventures.

Welcome to AH John. I’m sorry to hear about your dad‘s passing and your lost opportunity to hunt in Africa with him. Your experience just emphasizes the importance and urgency of taking your son to Africa. This forum is a great resource in planning such a trip. Best of luck!
My son joined me in 2018. One of the best times sharing the hunt and experience of Africa with him. Do it as nobody knows what's ahead of us.

John, welcome to the AH forum! Sad to hear you never got to go with your dad. Don’t let that happen for you and your son. AHers can help you get there.
Best of luck going on your family Africa adventure!

Welcome to AH and the posting side! Have fun planning!

A safari that never came to be for my family and myself led me to join this forum.

In 2016 my dad was fighting cancer and purchased a hunting trip to South Africa at an NRA banquet auction. He, myself and my brother planned to go. Unfortunately, dad became too sick too fast and the trip was never realized by us. I was bitten by the safari bug and have not given up on going someday.

At that time I went out and purchased a Cooper 30-06 with a nice wood stock, a classic cartridge for Africa. I have used that rifle to get a couple of whitetail and it reminds me of my dad and the trip we almost went on. I recently used that rifle hunting with my own son and got to thinking about a safari with him. So I began looking around on the Internet and, here I am, a new member to this forum.
@John the Electrician
Sorry to hear about your dad.
Mate make it happen with your son and family, it is something you will never regret.
I did it with my son and wife in 2019 before covid hit. Best trip I have ever had.
You have the right rifle snd caliber for plains game
Get there as quick as you can life is to short for regrets.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBCAdriana

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek