How I almost went to Africa

Reaction score
A safari that never came to be for my family and myself led me to join this forum.

In 2016 my dad was fighting cancer and purchased a hunting trip to South Africa at an NRA banquet auction. He, myself and my brother planned to go. Unfortunately, dad became too sick too fast and the trip was never realized by us. I was bitten by the safari bug and have not given up on going someday.

At that time I went out and purchased a Cooper 30-06 with a nice wood stock, a classic cartridge for Africa. I have used that rifle to get a couple of whitetail and it reminds me of my dad and the trip we almost went on. I recently used that rifle hunting with my own son and got to thinking about a safari with him. So I began looking around on the Internet and, here I am, a new member to this forum.

Welcome aboard!

Really hope you and your son get to make that trip in the near future, you won't regret it!

Welcome to AH John! Hope you and your son will get to experience Africa together.

Hi John

Welcome to AH. Sorry to hear that your trip didn't happen, but I reckon its a great idea to make it happen with your son,a hunt always makes for great memories!!

Kind Regards
Aj Fourie.

Welcome aboard! You're at the right place to get set up. Soak up all the info from the experienced people here and then book it. Best of luck.

AH will keep the dream alive. Welcome.

Welcome to AH John. I’m sorry to hear about your dad‘s passing and your lost opportunity to hunt in Africa with him. Your experience just emphasizes the importance and urgency of taking your son to Africa. This forum is a great resource in planning such a trip. Best of luck!

Welcome aboard John, a word of caution plan on taking your son to Africa for a hunt sooner rather than later. You've already seen the downside of "later." A 30-06 is a great PG rifle, what will your son be using? What are you planning to hunt? Did you check with the outfitter your Dad purchased the hunt from? Most decent outfitters would honor the hunt at a later date given the circumstances.

A safari that never came to be for my family and myself led me to join this forum.

In 2016 my dad was fighting cancer and purchased a hunting trip to South Africa at an NRA banquet auction. He, myself and my brother planned to go. Unfortunately, dad became too sick too fast and the trip was never realized by us. I was bitten by the safari bug and have not given up on going someday.

At that time I went out and purchased a Cooper 30-06 with a nice wood stock, a classic cartridge for Africa. I have used that rifle to get a couple of whitetail and it reminds me of my dad and the trip we almost went on. I recently used that rifle hunting with my own son and got to thinking about a safari with him. So I began looking around on the Internet and, here I am, a new member to this forum.

Welcome! This is the place to get it done!!

Welcome welcome welcome

Unfortunately another victim of doing things too late
Lets get hunting
Ask around get an outfitter and get over here with your brother and your son
Its not as costly as you think and its always well worth the effort

Regards

First and foremost, my prayers and condolences. Believe it or not, you will get through it.

Here are my thoughts on you going on safari. DO IT. Yes, it is a lot of money, which can be daunting and intimidating. However, I can assure you, it is well worth every red cent. It is not an overstatement when people say that hunting africa is a life changing experience.

Secondly, and to my way of thinking, more importantly, this would be quite a tribute to your dad. That alone, in my eyes, is well worth the price of admission.

It sounds like you are already in touch with an outfitter/PH over there. If, however, you would like the contact information for another, please feel free to message me.

Finally, welcome to the forum. In planning my trip over there, I gleaned vast amounts of knowledge from the lovely people here. Everything from what to expect, travel information, gear recommendations, etc. It is a very valuable resource.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome! As others have said a safari is something you'll never forget or regret. Beg, borrow, and steal...well maybe not steal...but get to Africa and taking your son is even more reason. You'll never be able to put a price on the memories and spend time sharing stories/memories of your father with your son while you're there.

Welcome John! Condolences for your loss. As already stated, memories last a long time. Go.

Welcome from one electrician to another!

I’m certain your father would want nothing more than for you and your brother to go in his memory!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmymike

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….