ZIMBABWE: Hunt With Chifuti Safaris

Sarge,

congrats on your successful hunt and thank-you for sharing this positive experience.
Great shooting, well done.

May you have many more.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul,

Thanks to you and to all the other members for your comments and good wishes. I'm already preparing for the next hunt! It'll probably be in 2015 it's never to early to start!

Thanks for the post. I am planning a hunt with Chifuti as well for buffalo. I have a few questions I'll send ya PM if I can. Thanks again.

By all means! I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Congratulations on a great safari.

Thanks for the report.

I just got back from a buff/plains hunt with these guys in their Nuanetsi area in SE Zim. I also give them top marks and would book with them again. My PH was Keith Wall. He was great. Ritchie and Clint were in camp also. My friends said they were good hunters and Ritchie is a lot of fun around the campfire.

Sarge Don't know how I missed this other then I was in Africa doing my own Safari. Great wright up and Awesome trophies That Tom is a Beaut. Congrats!

Another one who missed it.

Congrats for a great hunt, Sarge, and excellent trophies.

I feel like you concerning buffs. If I had the space in my house, I would hunt more buffs.

Thanks for sharing !

I just found this thread and I'm SO excited!!!

I met Ritchie at DSC and he will be my PH on a buff/hippo hunt this August. I cannot wait!!!

You will have a great hunt with a great PH and his staff. Good luck!!

You will have a great hunt with a great PH and his staff. Good luck!!

Thanks!!! I feel really good about this one. I'm going with my cousin and he has hunted with Chifuti before. Coincidentally, his PH will be Clint who was also mentioned in this tread. My goal is nothing but to have a good time, learn, and hopefully to take a nice old bull. I couldn't care less about the record books or horn spread.

Sarge - I believe I saw this hunt on the Outdoor Channel last week. They did a great job with the filming (especially when you were in the blind for the leopard).

Sarge - I believe I saw this hunt on the Outdoor Channel last week. They did a great job with the filming (especially when you were in the blind for the leopard).

Sorry for the long hiatus.

YEP! That was me!! First time on TV!

I just booked my next hunt (2015) with Richie. It'll be tuskless, buffalo and croc. He's an excellent PH and a great guy.

Royal27, PM me if you want to chat offline re Chifuti, etc.

Wish I could have seen it.

Royal27, PM me if you want to chat offline re Chifuti, etc.

Sarge,

thanks for the offer and I will send you a PM very soon. I'd love to talk to you!!! I think I've seen the TV show too, but can't recall the details. I need to look for it again!!!

I also saw your thread asking about the .375 for elle. I'm no expert at all, and only mention here because of Chifuti. My cousin hunted buff around the same time you were there and asked the same question in camp. the answer he received was that the .375 would be the only rifle he would ever have to buy for Africa. When I go he will be hunting tuskless, with.... A .416 Rigby!!! LOL He found a deal on one that he couldn't resist. But even after the purchase he only just decided to take the .416 after the SAAM training we took. He knew he was good with the .375, and wasn't going to take the .416 until he was convinced that he could shoot it as well. The extra length of the bolt definitely bothered him at first, but he got it down and the .375 will now be his back-up rifle.

Like I said, I know nothing, but thought I'd share my cousin's expereince. I'll be tlking to you soon!

Royal

Chifuti 2013

Sarge,

thanks for the offer and I will send you a PM very soon. I'd love to talk to you!!! I think I've seen the TV show too, but can't recall the details. I need to look for it again!!!

I also saw your thread asking about the .375 for elle. I'm no expert at all, and only mention here because of Chifuti. My cousin hunted buff around the same time you were there and asked the same question in camp. the answer he received was that the .375 would be the only rifle he would ever have to buy for Africa. When I go he will be hunting tuskless, with.... A .416 Rigby!!! LOL He found a deal on one that he couldn't resist. But even after the purchase he only just decided to take the .416 after the SAAM training we took. He knew he was good with the .375, and wasn't going to take the .416 until he was convinced that he could shoot it as well. The extra length of the bolt definitely bothered him at first, but he got it down and the .375 will now be his back-up rifle.

Like I said, I know nothing, but thought I'd share my cousin's expereince. I'll be tlking to you soon!

Royal

I hunted with Chifuti in June 2013 in Chewore south. Shot a leopard, waterbuck and bushbuck. Other hunters while I was there hunted buffalo. They all used .375s. All the PHs I spoke with recommended that clients use .375s. My PH, Rex Hoets, also recommends it for elephant. I have owned 3 .416 Rigbys (Ruger, CZ & Dakota) but when I return to Zim in 2015 I will be taking my .375 and a 12 ga. The bird hunting looks great and I would like to do some while there.

I hunted with Chifuti in June 2013 in Chewore south. Shot a leopard, waterbuck and bushbuck. Other hunters while I was there hunted buffalo. They all used .375s. All the PHs I spoke with recommended that clients use .375s. My PH, Rex Hoets, also recommends it for elephant. I have owned 3 .416 Rigbys (Ruger, CZ & Dakota) but when I return to Zim in 2015 I will be taking my .375 and a 12 ga. The bird hunting looks great and I would like to do some while there.

Billh

That's exactly what Royal will be taking this year when he goes to Chifuti - a 375 and a 12 ga!

As for my elephant hunt for next year, I've already acquired a CZ Safari Classics in 404 Jeffery. After all, despite the recommendations to shoot the ele with my Dakota 375, I needed an excuse to purchase another rifle! The 404, if loaded to 2150 fps, is sort of "in between" the 375 and the 416. However, today's typical 404J load is closer to the 416 as it is loaded to about 2300-2350 fps. I've already shot it once and immediately loved the cartridge. I send the rifle back for some warranty updgrades and will be working on loads when I get it back.

Yup!!!

A Browning Auto-5 will accompany my CZ 550!! :)

I'm going to have to weigh ammunition to fit in as many shotgun shells as I can. LOL! If my cousin and I can just shoot a few birds we will be happy and it won't be the first time we've shared a single shotgun either. I can remember taking turns with a single shot .410 as a kid.

That reminds me, I need to go get the 4457 filled out for the shotgun this week.... Time is running short!!! :)

Royal27,

Shotgun shells are heavy. If you contact Chifuti they may be able to get some in-country for you.

Yup!!!

A Browning Auto-5 will accompany my CZ 550!! :)

I'm going to have to weigh ammunition to fit in as many shotgun shells as I can. LOL! If my cousin and I can just shoot a few birds we will be happy and it won't be the first time we've shared a single shotgun either. I can remember taking turns with a single shot .410 as a kid.

That reminds me, I need to go get the 4457 filled out for the shotgun this week.... Time is running short!!! :)

A Browning Auto 5 12 gauge and CZ 550...you know what they say great minds think alike...love that combo!

Royal27,

Shotgun shells are heavy. If you contact Chifuti they may be able to get some in-country for you.

Yeah, I'm looking into that as well. It didn't sound like it would be super easy, which surprised me, but it sure would be simpler for sure.

A Browning Auto 5 12 gauge and CZ 550...you know what they say great minds think alike...love that combo!

LOL - ain't it the truth!!! If I just shoot one goose I will be happy. My grandfather was a rice farmer in Texas, so sentimental reasons.... :)

Sarge,

Just getting around to reading your report. Enjoyed the details and photos.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best in planning your next hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.