ZAMBIA: Zambian Adventure At Takeri Game Reserve

Congrats bluey that sable is a cracker for sure. I'm green with envy.

thanks cob, its a goal ive waited a long time to kick ........
wanted to hunt a sable in zambia , since l was pretty young ......
and l was fortunate to get to take him , in the greatest of company .

Last edited:
Great looking trophies.

Including a blue for bluey.

Congratulations!

Looking forward to more.

only problem is they recovered three projectiles, out of this most noble beast.and one of them turn out to be a .270
explain that ?

Didn't you hear it bouncing down the barrel?

right about now , my central nervous system went into complete overload , and l was shaking like a dog shitting razor blades. ........

I know the overload and shaking feeling.
Awesome Trophy. Congrats.

.270's out of a 30-06, no wonder you missed the first couple of shots.

A great Sable, Bluey, but I like your Puku too, I would very much like to get one !

Bluey that is a wonderful Sable. Congrats. Its a real rush to get an animal that you've wanted forever! Thanks for sharing! How long are his horns? Bruce

hey bluey its great reading and going over it all again. it was good to meet you finally, and the pleasure and excitement you showed at all times from picking you up at the airport, to leaving kingfisher at the end made the whole trip very special . :D Beers: just remember you are still barred from the kitchen when you come back!!! :E Big Grin:

mate , I cant wait to return ......
and next time , im definitely cooking atleast one feed for us all .its really not that bad ,my cooking........
ive always had a great time on hunting trips before .but not like we had mate .this was more like a gathering of old friends
not new ones .
and fun ,the fun never stopped . while im writing this tale , I stop and relive everything and then l think , cant write that , or how long would take to try and explain this
I really cant believe we could've had more fun in the time we had
youre right the only word to use is special
leaving both takeri and kingfisher , was really hard ,never wanted to go .
you guys made it hard ,to leave . but youse done it so easily .......
and what was that txt , I got yesterday , about the Namibian , where the hell was he ?

Last edited:
thanks bob
the first shot was a pass though in the engine room
the second one settled up in the brisket
the third one on the opposite shoulder
only problem is they recovered three projectiles, out of this most noble beast.and one of them turn out to be a .270
explain that ?
Hmmm! well there is posably 2 ways this could happen first Mike needs to check his headstamp on his ammo as a 270 is just a necked down 30-06 that you were hunting with. Oooor the Sable is free as it was payed for by a hunter before you as a wounded and unrecovered! hey hey :E Big Grin: what do you think Patsy:D Beer Bottle:

the poaching is pretty bad up that way ,bobby.
the hunter before ,me ,found a bullet that he never through at his sable as well
the whole time we were at takeri there was atleast 6 guys in the bush ,on anti poaching
that's a lots wages ,to try and preserve the area,mate

well how do you start a tale like this.....
from the onset of this adventure ,id had nothing but trouble infact two days before l flew out , l said if someone gave me the money that ive thrown at this trip ,id walk away .........
i wanted to hunt a croc with bow , and buggered if l could get any accuracy after twenty metres, with the AMS set up id ordered .
my shooters licence would've expired while i was gone , so i couldn't have brought my wifes riffle back home .
the import permits to do the same were over looked , and l had to do two trips to Melbourne in two days to get this sorted ,a 4 hour trip each way
l couldn't get accuracy with joysie gun ,a Thompson centre ,7mm rem mag.
the load my youngest son had given me was 10 grains over max load, he was using one powder and i was using ar 2009 ? think he was using ar2017 or 13 ?don't count on them being right numbers, i will get back to you on that, when next im on land .
once i got the reciepe right it was shooting like a dream , an inch and a half high and four shots into a two inch group at 110 metres off the sticks and the bipod.at 2810 fps
snowed under at the boat,
family all wanting to do something special , seeing my beloved , passed away one full year and a day when l flew out. all i wanted to do was get drunk and be alone .(selfish l know , but that's how i felt)
never had a drink until after tea that night
. then it was only one beer ,because l was driving the five hours to the airport , leaving at 2200.on the 26th september
the kids all came to see me during the day , i just told them to do what ever they wanted to do ,to celebrate (sadly ,for want of another word) i just wanted to finish chopping next years firewood, and burry my self in activity.
arguing with the parteners .
i can keep reeling everything that wasn't going right before i left for this adventure , but your getting the picture.
left home at 2200 so l could get the firearms clearance from customs done quickly as all the flights were booked way too close together , (note to self),both spiket and henry from riffle permits said that id be lucky to make the Lusaka flight on the way there , and extremely lucky to make it on the way back , the arriving flight was 140 minutes between and return flight was 1 hour
so get to the private parking place at 0300 ,no worries mate , twenty minutes later im outside the customs at Tullamarine ,thinking shit hot , no hiccups . everythings going good
a girl officer turns up shortly ,sees the firearm and the bow cases , and tell me to come straight through as it takes a while to get guns in or out of Australia.
chatting away about the trip , telling that this is the one my beloved wanted to do , and the sad events that had stopped her living a dream , sadly this girls father had passed away from cancer only seven months earlier , so had each others sympathy.
got all the relevant paper work out and f!@# me, theres a number wrong ....
im stuck here on the way out of taxstralia, with export papers ,that don't match the numbers on the gun ,
now this girl thinks im going to spin a bearing or something , all i could do was laugh at my own stupity. and that of the police who were just as stupid days earlier had the gun there for the import , which had the same mistake , and the more i think about it this mistake has been on a snow ball effect from the time my dearest wife first bought the gun several years earlier and the number has been put into the system like that.
the third number is an o on the paperwork and an 8 on the receiver.
we looked all over the gun to make sure, but alas it wasn't coming .
30 buck storage , and i turned and walked away.
this girl felt terrible , and was very appologetic, and said id taken it very well.
i emailed patsy and spike, and went to put the rest of my kit away at departures.
waited paitently and boarded the plane to Sydney
arrived at Sydney to find they hadn't put my bow on the plane in Melbourne , but they could have here in 3 hours ,
this l flipped my shit over , and tried to tell them i will be on my way to j/bourg in an hour and and five, they said that's ok sir , we can have it in j/bourg in three days ,
listen here you f!@#$%^ bonehead, i will be 6 hours north of Lusaka ,Zambia in three day ,in the middle of nowhere , how the hell do think you are going to get it to me there ,when i don't even know where ,exactly , im going to be on the copperbelt .
i stood there and put my hands on my head ,and closed my eyes , breathing long slow breathes , telling my self to just turn around and go home .
when i opened my eyes l had a clear circle of about ten feet around me and a heap of people just looking at me .
this made me laugh .
l apologised to the bloke l flipped at , pulled out my phone and emailed spike and patsy , asking if there was plenty of stones to throw at these bloody sable.
patsy answered that she would start sharpening up some sticks to use , but sadly once l left Sydney my phone or my ipad ,never picked up signal again till arrived back in Sydney.
last year i got them sorted to work all over on world wide roaming or something , and never got them changed , so dumbly assumed they would be still good to go ...........
NEVER LET ANYTHING GO , WHEN PLANNING YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE , EVEN IF YOUVE DONE IT SEVERAL TIME BEFORE .LEAVE NOTHING TO CHANCE , NO STONE UN TURNED !!!!!!
im telling myself ive been to relaxed in the planning here on this one, and are paying for it now .
get on the plane to j/bourg , thinking whats going to happen next .
get there , and realise no service and there sqwat l can do about it now.
looking for henry or one of his workers, and bugger me ,they aren't there, im walking around in circles thinking , ive paid for vip services and pre arranged riffle permits .
and he is a no show ! (theres an explanation coming on this)
so i ask some airport employer how to get to the Lusaka flight , a deal was worked out , and he took me there , l think he thought l was American , because when l paid him aussie dollars , he kinda looked confused .
but l didn't have time , so l gave him another lazy cray and left.
got the flight ,half expecting to be refused entry into Zambia over something stupid that id not done .
landed there in Lusaka , stepped of the plane at 2010 on the 27th of September , and thought holey snapping duck shit , its bloody hot . and that thought never changed until l got off the plane in Sydney a couple of weeks later.
walked into arrivals at Lusaka shook hands with the cheeky prick that been hanging shit on me on here and in emails aswell as over the phone for the last couple of years,
told him about the gun and bow , he said don't worry i will have something that you will like .
lets get out of here
cleared immigration, and this is where my frown is turned upside down !!!!
Translator,,do we have a Translator

Beautiful Sable Bluey Congratulations

well after a huge lunch
we got all the guys together and guts and rib cages ,and went down to the site patsy had decided on for the croc bait
over the last week they had baits out along the river ,with out much activity ,only a few small ones on the cameras. the guards and tinnus went cut a whole stack of thatch for the blind , some other guys went about constructing the frame , and we were knocking star posts into the bank to keep the baits and teabags anchored .
could tell straight up that patsy likes this croc hunting , she was always planning ,something ,when it came to talking about it .she also said that it will be hard ,not push me out of the road and shoot it herself
519.JPG

448.JPG
520.JPG

Translator,,do we have a Translator
Oh it's easy Rob just remember he's from upside down land, you have to stand on your head to read it.:D Beers:

Congrats on the great trophies, can't wait to hear the rest of the stories!

after we finished set the bait , and boys had our blind built , pats said grab the gun ,lets go for a walk .
there ias about an hour and half of good light left , so off we went , still felt like l was walking on air after the sable hunt this morning , as soon as we step of the track theres a bush buck barking ,which set of another ,and another
we go back to the track and in single file slowly and atleast quietly ,go on our merry way , shortly we put another good bush buck up sleeping on top of an ant hill .he was gone ,instantly
a little further we see another small one , this one didn't run straight away .
the breeze is atleast constant this arvo , we turn left heading back into it . at the far end from where we got our blue duiker .
seen another female bushbuck ,these little ladies are bueatiful to look at . 3/4 of an hour later ,with the light starting to fade quickly
we hear crunch crunch crunch ,silence crunch crunch ,silence . we stop and the stix go up there about forty metres away he is , crunch crunch silence.
the riffle goes up and the bolts closed almost silently . he doesn't even know we are there . now all I have to do find him in the scope , ah there you are ,mate ,l think .crunch crunch crunch , silence ,BOOM .......
he just stopped in an opening I could see the shot was going to be a bit behind but in the dull light and shooting through a fork in a tree .
I whooped him .
and he was off , which surprised me , and impressed me that he went 80 odd metres straight up the top of an ant hill after the .06 near gutted him .
me and lackson were off like a pair of jack russels . and in less than a minute we had him .
this little guy has the heart of a lion, going that far after the shot
another blue duiker.......
man these guys are easy ............
a matching pair in two days . three stalks ,actually ........................
got the grins happening , all round .
what a couple of days we've had , patsy calls mike on the radio ,and asks for us to be picked up .we will walk up to where we took photos of the first blue duiker ,hell its dark now anyways
so on the same ant hill in just over 26 hours weve had two photo sessions with two blue duiker .
cant believe this place , is all I keep saying ....
patsy already said we will be drinking champnge tonight after the sable , so this sorta makes me obligated , I guess,(I don't go much on this crap )
209.JPG

213.JPG

so from now on we are just going to have to kick these little rippers out of the road ,so we can get to the bush buck ...:p:p
when mike comes down to get us he is grinning as big as the rest of us , heaps of shit , is getting tossed around here at the moment ...
got home (that's how it feels already),
had a shower ,and no matter how hard l scrubbed ,that bloody smile wouldn't wash off ...........
walked in the door and tiunnus was shaking with the right hand ,and passing me a mossi with his left ........
what a place ...........

great story and trophies.

AWESOME !!!!!!
Dream come true right there bluey .
Top Sable .
One daaaaay I will !!!!!!

Good stuff bluey, glad you had a good hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross