Wyatt’s first rifle

Uncle Bob, I hear static, the line is crackly, I think I can make out what you say, OK bye, talk soon,
@CBH
Chris unfortunately all the 243s I have loaded for have struggled to make 2,800 fps with 100 grain projectiles and that is using max loads of 2213sc/ H4831sc and 2299/ H4350 out of a 22 inch barrel.
My standard 25/303 on an SMLE No1Mk111 action will do that and that's loaded to the strength of the action not the ability of the cartridge.
So something doesn't compute somewhere. Dang the old 25/303 killed some game when used within its capabilities with 100grain bullets so there is no reason the 243 can't do the same. It's just that shooters in OZ for some unknown reason stick with the 87 grainers in the 243. Load for the game hunted.
No matter what you say I will always have a soft spot for the 25s and not a heart to accept the 243.
Those that use it correctly are fine but the old 25/303 and 250 Savage are all the 243 wanted to be. It's a shame it got it's capabilities mixed up with ambition but advertising sells and deluded.
Bob.

@WAB & @Ragman
It probably does work if the bullet is 100grains but here in Australia I dare say most load the 87grain for everything and wonder why it fails.
May be you can educate 243 users in Australia I have tried but it's like talking to a rock.
Bob
Do I get to educate them in Australia personally? Because when I got up to go hunting yesterday her in Canada it was -23 C so Oz seems tempting!

Do I get to educate them in Australia personally? Because when I got up to go hunting yesterday her in Canada it was -23 C so Oz seems tempting!
@Ragman
Getting the average Australian to use anything but an 87grain projectile is akin to hitting you head on a brick wall. You WILL get a headache. I know 7 have been trying for years. A mate shot a few pigs with them and reckons they are the ducks guts. When he had a fail on a 60kg boar he couldn't figure it out because it always worked before.
I ended up dropping it at a lasered 286 yards with one shot with my 25/303 Epps Newton improved and a 117 grain SST.
Your welcome to come and try to educate them but bring plenty of pain killers for the headaches you will get.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kalaharikind

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!