Wyatt’s first rifle

@C Austin
At least get it rechambered to 6mm Remington or 240 Weatherby for the little fella he will love it more than the 243. Plus he can say he's got a magnum like poppy and still have mild recoil
Bob.
Not a chance my friend. I lan on having him in a deer stand about age seven. 243 has low recoil and to boot I watched an African Outfitter‘s son drop a blue wildebeest in its tracks with the 243.
Anyway I have subsequently purchased his next rifle up from the 243 and you all guessed it it looks just like PaPa’s and is chambered in 270. (Pictured below third from the bottom) Then he can also work with the M77 Compact pictured at the bottom and it’s chambered in 308.

2F3F19F2-9FAC-40C4-A43F-74CA5B875376.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a chance my friend. I lan on having him in a deer stand about age seven. 243 has low recoil and to boot I watched an African Outfitter‘s son drop a blue wildebeest in its tracks with the 243.
Anyway I have subsequently purchased his next rifle up from the 243 and you all guessed it it looks just like PaPa’s and is chambered in 270. (Pictured below third from the bottom) Then he can also work with the M77 Compact pictured at the bottom and it’s chambered in 308.

View attachment 373182
@C Austin
He is one lucky little fella to have a selection of some of the better firearms for him to use as he progresses along his shooting journey.
Bob

@C Austin
He is one lucky little fella to have a selection of some of the better firearms for him to use as he progresses along his shooting journey.
Bob

Thank you Bob. I hope to pass along these as well as others to my son and grandson!

I've had great results with the 243 Winchester on Whitetail deer. It is not my choice anymore, but it was my first deer rifle, and it served me well. My dad considered it his large caliber for deer, as his favorite was 22/250. Of course, he was/is a great hunter, and his shots were usually very close, to insure perfect shot placement.

hey bob,
maybe the 243 would be o.k. with nosler partitions.
@bruce moulds
If people loaded it with bullets to match the game instead of 87 grain varmit bullets for everything and it actually reached the claimed velocities it could be a decent cartridge. The 6mm Remington is the pick of them and does as it is claimed to do. Don't start me on the other useless thing the 6mm crudmore or it's bigger brother paper punchers. The shooting public is getting duped by those as well. They don't do anything older cartridges will do and have been doing for years.
Bob

@bruce moulds
If people loaded it with bullets to match the game instead of 87 grain varmit bullets for everything and it actually reached the claimed velocities it could be a decent cartridge.
Bob
That’s right. We use 100 grain bullets and they are excellent on deer. Hopefully if I’m able to get her out my wife will be using “hers” on Sunday for mule deer. Since she started hunting in 2017 she’s killed 3 whitetails with 3 shots using that rifle.
@CAustin Wyatt is one lucky little fella!

We load 100 gr Speers for deer with good success. It’s a great rifle for a young fellow starting out.

not just stuck, but stuck sideways.
bruce.
I know what you are implying, it seems to be “A thorn in his side” that may be a little more Diplomatic sort of term.
Maybe he was Flogged with a .243 as a kid, instead of the feather duster when he was naughty someone grabbed a .243 and wrapped it around his ass.

Bob, if you would only give it a go the .243 is actually capable with the right load. Play nice cause we all have to get along in the sandpit.

There is one very, very lucky “Young Gentlemen” out there who Will make this .243 his pride and joy, and it’s just like Pa, pa’s.

He will quickly jump ship for the .308 when he starts to drop multiple pigs with a magazine rifle but I hope he sees the beauty in the Ruger No1 and knows the difference between classic and functional. Hunting and shooting.

Very cool set up Charley. He won’t have any hunting buddies with a rifle to match that.

We load 100 gr Speers for deer with good success. It’s a great rifle for a young fellow starting out.
@WAB & @Ragman
It probably does work if the bullet is 100grains but here in Australia I dare say most load the 87grain for everything and wonder why it fails.
May be you can educate 243 users in Australia I have tried but it's like talking to a rock.
Bob

I know what you are implying, it seems to be “A thorn in his side” that may be a little more Diplomatic sort of term.
Maybe he was Flogged with a .243 as a kid, instead of the feather duster when he was naughty someone grabbed a .243 and wrapped it around his ass.

Bob, if you would only give it a go the .243 is actually capable with the right load. Play nice cause we all have to get along in the sandpit.

There is one very, very lucky “Young Gentlemen” out there who Will make this .243 his pride and joy, and it’s just like Pa, pa’s.

He will quickly jump ship for the .308 when he starts to drop multiple pigs with a magazine rifle but I hope he sees the beauty in the Ruger No1 and knows the difference between classic and functional. Hunting and shooting.
@ CBH
@bruce moulds
I will play nicely in the sand pit boys. At least not the good ol USA they seem to know the 243 will handle 100grain projectiles and the wonderful 95 grain SST. With projectiles like that I is a good cartridge But here in OZ every one seems to use an 87 grainer of some sort and expect it to work on every thing.. no matter what you do they still insist the 87 grain is a deadly killer because thats what their mate uses and it works for him. Nobody talks about the game they wound only about the good shots so the circle continues.
It's a bit like driving a 6 cylinder 4x4 with 2 cylinders not working. It will do the job but not to it's full potential.
Young Wyatt is getting a great rifle in a caliber that IF LOADED PROPERLY will get the job done. Just don't expect it to perform an oi very it's pay grade.
Bob

@ CBH
@bruce moulds
I will play nicely in the sand pit boys. At least not the good ol USA they seem to know the 243 will handle 100grain projectiles and the wonderful 95 grain SST. With projectiles like that I is a good cartridge But here in OZ every one seems to use an 87 grainer of some sort and expect it to work on every thing.. no matter what you do they still insist the 87 grain is a deadly killer because thats what their mate uses and it works for him. Nobody talks about the game they wound only about the good shots so the circle continues.
It's a bit like driving a 6 cylinder 4x4 with 2 cylinders not working. It will do the job but not to it's full potential.
Young Wyatt is getting a great rifle in a caliber that IF LOADED PROPERLY will get the job done. Just don't expect it to perform an oi very it's pay grade.
Bob
@WAB & @Ragman
It probably does work if the bullet is 100grains but here in Australia I dare say most load the 87grain for everything and wonder why it fails.
May be you can educate 243 users in Australia I have tried but it's like talking to a rock.
Bob
bob,
do i detect a softening in your attitude here?
bruce.

@ CBH
@bruce moulds
Bob

Did I just read the word’s good cartridge in the same sentence? A sentence relating to a, wait for it, .243winchester chambered rifle.

@bruce moulds , Bruce, did you see that? @BeeMaa wont believe it.

I Think Bob is coming around on the .243 acting like a Gentleman and being a little more receptive to the idea of it. I think he is impressed with our Americans counterparts using a suitable loading for the very cartridge he openly loathes.

@WAB & @Ragman
Bob
the worst thing is that some do not wonder.
they just keep going on doing the same thing.
bruce.

Did I just read the word’s good cartridge in the same sentence? A sentence relating to a, wait for it, .243winchester chambered rifle.

@bruce moulds , Bruce, did you see that? @BeeMaa wont believe it.

I Think Bob is coming around on the .243 acting like a Gentleman and being a little more receptive to the idea of it. I think he is impressed with our Americans counterparts using a suitable loading for the very cartridge he openly loathes.
@CBH
Still don't like the cartridge. As I said loaded properly it's probably a good round. Past experience loading 100 grain projectiles in the 243 they just fail to mmm wet velocity expectations.
I would be interested in see some of the loads with ACTUAL chronoed velocities.
Bob

Reactions: WAB
Uncle Bob, I hear static, the line is crackly, I think I can make out what you say, OK bye, talk soon,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg