WTB .450ne or .450/400

Hornedfrogbbq

Gold supporter
AH elite
Joined
Mar 8, 2022
Messages
1,099
Reaction score
1,616
Media
1
Still looking for the right .450NE or a .450/400. I am interested in a Heym or a British manufacturer between the world wars.
 
Agree the 450-400 is a great caliber in a double. I've taken 9 buffalo with my Heym 450-400 and say that I actually prefer it to either of my 470's or 500. That being said I have a Heym 450NE 3 1/4 on order and should have it within the next 2 mo. The 470 is the only caliber I have used on buffalo that I've had to track. the 450-400 allows 2 very quick shots that usually puts them down in feet. I just can't get 2 quick double taps as fast with a 470. I much prefer to hunt with a double even on most plains game. The tracking and a really good stalk make the hunt for me. When "you are downwind from a buffalo and you can smell his breath you are close enough to kill him" and a double in practiced hands makes that a game changer. A good friend has taken in excess of 30 buffalo and 16 elephants with a Heym 450-400 without fail. When one comes to the dark side you must practice a lot with a double to develop the techniques to get the job done and minimize the risk to yourself and those with you. I've hunted my entire life (more than 65 yrs) with a bolt gun, but a double has added an entire new dimension to hunting for me, and I full realize it's not for everyone.
 
My back up rifle is 450/400 Heym 88b
I also have a 470 89b and i hate to say it but the 450/400 out shoots my 470 by far.
I have been doing alot of Pac Elephant these last few months and the amount of penetration and damage the 450/400 does is insane.
The accuracy of the rifle too.
 
@Hornedfrogbbq There is a pretty much new Heym 89b 450 NE for sale at Sporting Services in the UK. If you look in the rifles section and ignore the tacticool items you should find it.
 
My back up rifle is 450/400 Heym 88b
I also have a 470 89b and i hate to say it but the 450/400 out shoots my 470 by far.
I have been doing alot of Pac Elephant these last few months and the amount of penetration and damage the 450/400 does is insane.
The accuracy of the rifle too.
When you say it out-shoots your .470, are you saying you shoot it better than your .470 or are you saying it inherently patterns better or?
 
I'm with @Surgeon1, I have owned X2 470's in the past and now I have a 450/400 I don't think I will ever own a 470 again. 400 grain bullet at 2100fps with a SD of 0.340 is jst about perfect for buffalo and also plenty good enough for elephant. I also find the 450/400 much easier to shoot than a 470 even though the 450/400 is in a lighter rifle.
 
In touch with them now. Thank you for the lead!
Frosty, those were the ones I found in February, tried to buy both but no go. Was able to secure one, guaranteed sold and being the sweet gent I am, and knowing Surgeon1 had lusted for one for a while offered for him to step in and take it…

I kind of wanted to get the first two I started importing back in late December in hand before adding to the pile. Which…by the FedEx alert I just received…should be today.
 
Heym in 450-400 is what im looking for also...pretty certain I'll have to buy new if i want that caliber unless im extremely lucky. If I knew more about that Chapius I'd entertain that idea. Just cant "pull the trigger " so to speak even though they are spoken of pretty well.
 
No one seems to have asked which 450/400 you are chasing, there are three sizes, 2 3/8”, 3” and 3 1/4”, all of which where available "between the wars"
Gumpy
 
Which one do you use on which animals? I'm curious
 
Which one do you use on which animals? I'm curious
The 450/400 2 3/8" cartridge ( also known as the 10.3x60rimmed Swiss ) is suited to medium sized game up to 150 yards, the 3" and 3 1/4" are more suited to large game , though I don’t think they would be good for elephant in the hands of an inexperienced shooter , but shot placement is everything
Gumpy
 
…the 3" and 3 1/4" are more suited to large game , though I don’t think they would be good for elephant in the hands of an inexperienced shooter , but shot placement is everything
Gumpy
Which caliber would be good for hunting elephants in the hands of an inexperienced shooter I wonder ?!? ;)
 
Which one do you use on which animals? I'm curious
I'm indifferent. I tell my wife that these guns are like golf clubs...you gotta have a gun for each different scenario. Same with flyrods.

I quit golf though and took up cattle. They make me so much happier than that little effing white ball.
 
Which caliber would be good for hunting elephants in the hands of an inexperienced shooter I wonder ?!? ;)

The author of a book about hunting in India wrote 1900 that the more inexperienced the hunter is, and so larger the caliber used should be for shooting heavy DG. Back then, he recommend a DR caliber 8 or better, one caliber 4. As for the cartridge 577 Nitro Express, he was somewhat skeptical because of the new nitrocellulose powder.

To get back to the present day, anything more modern cartridge of caliber .416 upwards with a premium bullet is well-suited, certainly somewhat better than the cartridge 450-400 Nitro Express for elephants. I would therefore prefer the cartridge 450 Nitro Express for a DR.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,179
Members
169,918
Latest member
WildHare
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top