Would you hunt with it?

I am wholeheartedly against trigger squeezing. I break the trigger on command. Once I aquire the sight picture I am looking for it is one quick, I guess you could call it a "fast squeeze, but more like a "crush". I concentrate on not moving anything but my trigger finger and I "break" the shot. I don't like the squeeze it until it surprises you method because that does not work in an offhand situation or an unsteady situation where you may have to shoot in a "wobble". I will admit I don't usually "shoot in a wobble" at animals but I have found that breaking the trigger on command works better in general for field situations.
My max with my DR in 500 Ne is 80 yards…I do not practice beyond that. You are using the marine method of trigger pull nothing wrong with that. I was taught by a former Seal who taught me let breath completely out no halfway stuff and squeeze. You are ready to go! Target grouping looks great!!!
 
My max with my DR in 500 Ne is 80 yards…I do not practice beyond that. You are using the marine method of trigger pull nothing wrong with that. I was taught by a former Seal who taught me let breath completely out no halfway stuff and squeeze. You are ready to go! Target grouping looks great!!!
I am ready to move it back and see what she will do, luckily the better shooting of the two is the load with my softs, the A Frames, which is the one that would get employed in a longer 80 yard ish kind of situation. It was putting them in the ballpark of 1.75" apart so I look forward to stretching it out a bit and seeing what it will do. I hope to use it on as many animals a a possible so 80-100 yard accuracy would be nice, but ultimately the gun will decide how far it is useable. The blaser 458 on the other hand, I think there is going to be some long range baboon killing possibly with it. Load work up is still in progress.
 
I have heard nothing but good things about the R8 especially at shooting longer shots even with large bore calibers
 
I am really looking forward to doing some testing with it. I had a CZ in 458 Lott that I could pretty regularly ring a 10" gong with at 400 yards. This blaser looks to be every bit as accurate, and possibly quite a bit more accurate. I have a trade worked with a fellow and I have a 100 or so woodleigh 500's coming and I also have some swifts, however what really interests me is the 300 grain Barnes and the 258 grain CEB Socom bullets. Those can be driven in the ballpark of 2800, and with the 258's probably close to 3000 fps. That is some 200 yard PG medicine all day long, and I think the R8 provides the trigger and the potential accuracy to make that a very real possibility.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,413
Messages
1,575,449
Members
170,328
Latest member
FreddieLuf
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top