Would Like To Thin Things Out

Ohdeer58

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, IOMA,
How can I list some items here and being the first time I’ve raised the courage to do so gain some trust that I have what I say I do? Are there trusted members in Chicagoland area that could verify what I intend to list?
I read about listings that “Appeared” real and then???
How about I start small and hope local only?
Western 16ga, 2 9/16” paper hull shotgun shells. Tried dating and believe pre mid 1940’s? Have 9 full boxes in#6 shot high brass
1 box of federal hi power 20ga 2 3/4 paper hull. Full box. #6 high brass
have almost zero online selling except craigslist for other types of items and on another gun selling site. Con men and trolls. Trust is hard to give and harder to earn.
I’m in southwest ‘burbs of Chicago. Hope that’s vague enough On personal information. Clearing out before packing to move. 1 box or all, just fair offers
Thanks, Philip.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
pm sent

Hi Phillip, I'm a little confused. You say Chicagoland but your location is listed as Tucson,AZ. That aside, the ammo that you have is generally sought after by collectors. for shooting the main issue is the reliability of the primer. WW changed the composition that somewhat coincides with other changes in the shotshells, most noticeable being the crimp. Do your shells have a rolled crimp or a pie crimp? I'm not sure of what WW did, but the primers in the earlier roll crimp shells have a high rate of mis-fire while the pie crimps have very few. In either case, last I saw such ammo would sell for about $15 a box unless in pristine condition- then it's a matter of collectors pushing the price.

This is great site. You still have to look who is selling and and buying. There are are lot of members here got lot of time on this site. If you visit often you will get a good idea as well as good advice as to what to and what not to.
HOW EVER THERE IS NO GUARANTEE IN LIFE.
GOOD LUCK
KRISH -- MISSOURI

Most of them look like collectors item from description and looks.
Krish

Sorry about location confusion. Moved back to Chicago after kid changed college choice.Gotta fix that, still got family there
These are roll crimp?
Thought collectors more than shooting, boxes are “vintage” old. Far from perfect.

image.jpg

Did what I could using code on boxes to narrow date of manufacture with little lu

image.jpg

Been reading here quite a bit over the years just don’t have the knowledge levels to inject much wisdom.
It’s hunting season is why these reappeared
Thanks to all of you who posted here and many other random threads I have read with great interest.

Phillip,

The roll crimp are very collectible and your best option for the 16 ga 2 9/16th shells would be to post them on the forum "16 Gauge Society". There are some shooters over there that dream of being able to shoot old paper shells at birds. There is evidently an aroma that is addicting that no plastic shell can replicate.

Just noticed your photograph, the wooden Super X box is also highly sought after by collectors- they go for serious $$ considering it's just a wooden box.

Was going to put that for sale after I emptied it.... box of wards 12ga in there also (all paper hulled shells, just must have been where shells were dumped at the end of a hunting day. Old friend who has since passed) that wards box is missing cover.
Thanks for info on 16ga. Knew there had to be some interest thought a little higher value. More concerned they find the right home/hands as I wish to Stop moving them around. Sold my 16 & 28 some time back.

Greetings from the Chicago area. So here’s the skinny on your shells:

the one with the duck in mint, full box, are priced at $75. They never sell at that, but that’s how they are priced when I see them often. I have one of them in my office in fact.

the others without animals are literally worth less than the trouble to ship. Anywhere between free to good home and $10. No animal on the box lowers value. When I’ve shot such ammo in my vintage drilling about 1/2 fired, the others had dented primers. Just fun decor items.

the crate, I don’t know what it’s worth precisely but I’d say a fair sum. The Von Langerke tag on it probably doubles the value of the crate. The contents sounds like a hodge-podge so I wouldn’t say it adds value, but it’s neat. The crate I’m unsure but I’d say $65-$350. I’m not a crate collector so I don’t know it’s rarity, but the VLA tag is so righteous in its own right.

Thanks rookhawk and ray b. Hope 16ga folks have some vintage shotgun needs. I was told value of duck box was around $60 - $75 if full, 40-50 empty box.
16 ga shells was told $1 each, $16 ga boxes $10-20. If full boxes are as low as you state rookhawk, may just donate to local chapter of pheasants forever.

Crate label is what makes that box, local history plus Who “may” have owned That club and clubhouse. I researched and I
did not make a connection just innuendo.

thanks again ray and rook. Suns rising now, hope early deer harvest! Gotta go!

Posting items sitting on today's newspaper can help authenticity. A lot of fraudulent sales are of items' photos pulled off the web and then advertised at sucker prices. Want to buy ads are an open and welcome invitation to scammers.

That said, @Hogpatrol , I don’t think a scammer would take the time to create an elaborate ploy to get his hands on some paper shells that will be for a small potatoes transaction. The author is good to go selling or buying from anyone on AH that has been around awhile. I’ve heard no scam stories it all on these boards related to active, long term members.

That wasn't the implication for the OP's sale, just a tip if he was worried about his authenticity. As far as scams, there was a gun sale on here that was the subject of a thread where the member bought a gun that had already been sold. On another forum I frequent, a multi year member bought and sold small items, built up a good trade history, then fraudulently offered a high dollar scope. That money went bye bye to the ghetto in Wilmington, Delaware. No forum or board is immune.

That wasn't the implication for the OP's sale, just a tip if he was worried about his authenticity. As far as scams, there was a gun sale on here that was the subject of a thread where the member bought a gun that had already been sold. On another forum I frequent, a multi year member bought and sold small items, built up a good trade history, then fraudulently offered a high dollar scope. That money went bye bye to the ghetto in Wilmington, Delaware. No forum or board is immune.

fair enough. I sort of take for granted the 150-250 “super active users” on this forum vaguely know each other are even if our usernames anonymize us a bit. I can understand a newer user may struggle as they see screen names, not fellow hunters that have called, emailed, or PM’d over many years.

Sad we live in a world where we must resort to usernames to avoid antI hunter harassment. It’d be nice if we could be more personal amongst friends without interlopers hoping to find and destroy fellow hunters in their political agendas against hunting.

Very well said, makes me want to remove my name. But I just don’t wish to hide my passions for outdoor activities including conservation, planting for wildlife and habitat restoration. That said I also haven’t had more than a one on one discussion about our pursuits. Respect to all choices.
Maybe just be more vague on my location?
Hiding isn’t right.

Very well said, makes me want to remove my name. But I just don’t wish to hide my passions for outdoor activities including conservation, planting for wildlife and habitat restoration. That said I also haven’t had more than a one on one discussion about our pursuits. Respect to all choices.
Maybe just be more vague on my location?
Hiding isn’t right.
I'd certainly change your name. Someday you'll go on a hunt and wish to import the animals and the anti's will be there alleging criminality, precluding your importation.

This very thing happened last week with a high ranking exec at one of our beloved conservation orgs. Somehow the word got out he was hunting a lion LEGALLY in Zim and the media and anti pressure was so high they had to cancel the lawful hunt.

Anonymity my friend. The antis will do anything to destroy you they possibly can.

Been a few years but one of the local chapter SCI banquets had a rep that spoke of a war, a war with the anti-s. Social media and the internet have give them the powerful tools to fight it. Different strokes but I'm not going to stand up in a war and let someone shoot at me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg