Woodleigh reloading manual?

I certainly appreciate it
G'day,

Welcome to AH.

Any chance you want to post in the introductions .

Everyone is happy to help but we sometimes get reminded to introduce ourselves on the forum. What are your interests what do you hunt sort of stuff.

Also I'm happy to share data from the manual. I'm pretty sure the manuals are still available in Australia.

Happy to help anyway I can .

Hello! I'm waiting for my Woodleigh reload manual, it's supposed to go into print any day but I've been waiting since december. If anyone could check their load data for 45-70 I would be very thankful.

/Johannes

Last edited:
PXL_20230130_140753084.jpg

PXL_20230130_140823170 1.jpg

Given Woodleigh's stated impact velocities, the only real choice is the 300 gr FN SN.

I'm assuming you're shooing a lever gun. There are other loads specifically for Ruger #1 and #3, and Winchester/Browning 1886 Highwall

I wouldn't choose a Woodleigh bullet if you're shooting a trap door or rolling block.

Given Woodleigh's stated impact velocities, the only real choice is the 300 gr FN SN.

I'm assuming you're shooing a lever gun. There are other loads specifically for Ruger #1 and #3, and Winchester/Browning 1886 Highwall

I wouldn't choose a Woodleigh bullet if you're shooting a trap door or rolling block.

Thank you!

I have been running the Remington core-lokt 405gr bullet in the following loadings:

43.500 PSI in my 24" barrel 1886 @ 1980 fps (good accuracy and similar recoil to my 9.3x62)
58.000 PSI in my 28" barrel 1885 @ 2150 fps (this one is no good without limbsaver)

These speeds are way to high for the Remington bullet (which works excellent at 1600 fps)

With the Woodleigh bullet at around 2000 fps I'll get optimum performance 25-100 yards which is perfect for me hunting with open sights.

which powder are you working with? I can get you something specific. Just let me know.

all of that said, nothing wrong with the core lokt at 1600. I shoot 425 gr and 525 gr lead alloy at about 1625 fps, and they hit like Mjolnir. On a 100 yard zero, you're still in the vital zone out to about 150 yards or so for everything but roedeer.

I have mine zeroed at 130 yards (an inch or 2 high at 100 yards), and that gets me out to about 170 yards for white tail deer and feral hogs without having to adjust for holdover.

which powder are you working with? I can get you something specific. Just let me know.
I have been working with Norma 200 powder, CCI 250LRM and Starline brass. My loads have been worked up carefully with advice from Norma's customer service here in Sweden.

I'm open to try different powders as well, but we haven't had that much choice here this past year.

all of that said, nothing wrong with the core lokt at 1600. I shoot 425 gr and 525 gr lead alloy at about 1625 fps, and they hit like Mjolnir. On a 100 yard zero, you're still in the vital zone out to about 150 yards or so for everything but roedeer.

I have mine zeroed at 130 yards (an inch or 2 high at 100 yards), and that gets me out to about 170 yards for white tail deer and feral hogs without having to adjust for holdover.

Yeah the Core Lokt has been my go to for Hogs, Roe deer, Fallow deer and Moose. It works well but I find it seperates easy when hitting bones on Moose and Hog. I think the Woodleigh should do a better job holding together.

Another good one is Cast performance (hard cast). Up to 1500 fps they don't expand much and penetrates everything i find, but in Sweden the 405gr bullets need around 1600 fps at the muzzle to be legal for Hogs and Moose. And it must be an expanding bullet.

Last edited:
No guidance, unfortunately, for Norma powders.

If you can get Alliant RL7, it has worked exceedingly well with every bullet I've ever put through my 45-70

525 gr lead alloy over 41 gr RL7, 50 yards, aperture sights
1675096649695.jpeg

425 gr lead allow, sitting on 41 gr RL7, 50 yards, aperture sights
1675096677199.jpeg

325 gr Hornady LeveRevolution, 51 gr RL7, 100 yards, scoped
1675096719531.jpeg

There are others, but these are 3 I have pics for

Yeah the Core Lokt has been my go to for Hogs, Roe deer, Fallow deer and Moose. It works well but I find it seperates easy when hitting bones on Moose and Hog. I think the Woodleigh should do a better job holding together.

Another good one is Cast performance (hard cast). Up to 1500 fps they don't expand much and penetrates everything i find, but in Sweden the 405gr bullets need around 1600 fps at the muzzle to be legal for Hogs and Moose. And it must be an expanding bullet.
I don't know about in Sweden, but we can get Cast Performance here in 460 gr with GC. Could probably push it to 1650 or so

I'm a big fan of wide meplat for those cast bullets
1675103389540.png

the 3 lead bullets on the right
405 gr
425 gr
525 gr
bullet_comparison_small.jpg

@sgt_zim
Impact velocity is what is suggested. Fortunately the bullets can be pushed well past the recommended velocities as game isn't shot at the muzzle very often.
I load the 225gn Woodleigh PPSP at something like 300fps OVER the recommended impact velocity and when they hit game at 100yds they are still a bit over. The game I shot in Namibia didn't care that I was over the recommended impact velocities nor did the projectile.
I contacted Geoff about it and had a great conversation about the topic.
Bob

@sgt_zim
Impact velocity is what is suggested. Fortunately the bullets can be pushed well past the recommended velocities as game isn't shot at the muzzle very often.
I load the 225gn Woodleigh PPSP at something like 300fps OVER the recommended impact velocity and when they hit game at 100yds they are still a bit over. The game I shot in Namibia didn't care that I was over the recommended impact velocities nor did the projectile.
I contacted Geoff about it and had a great conversation about the topic.
Bob
I think he meant that recommended impact velocities for 405gr 45-70 was too high (1700-2000 fps) because most 405gr 45-70 loads are in the 1400-1600 range at the muzzle.

I don't know about in Sweden, but we can get Cast Performance here in 460 gr with GC. Could probably push it to 1650 or so

I'm a big fan of wide meplat for those cast bullets
View attachment 514193

the 3 lead bullets on the right
405 gr
425 gr
525 gr
View attachment 514195
I have only found the 405gr in a shop here in Sweden but I mostly use them for plinking and fun shooting at the range. That 525 looks like a beast!

Since you're shooting a High Wall, you don't need to worry so much about OAL like I do for my Marlin.

You could probably get away with launching some RN bullets in the 500+ gr neighborhood. Even at only 1500 fps, that's still pretty close to 3500 Joules.

I'd say "order some heavies from the US," but I think even those lead alloy bullets are probably ITAR restricted.

Since you're shooting a High Wall, you don't need to worry so much about OAL like I do for my Marlin.

You could probably get away with launching some RN bullets in the 500+ gr neighborhood. Even at only 1500 fps, that's still pretty close to 3500 Joules.

I'd say "order some heavies from the US," but I think even those lead alloy bullets are probably ITAR restricted.

That's true. It would be interesting to try. I have thought about loading 458 win mag RN or spitzer type bullets in the single shot just to get the BC performance. But I don't shoot much beyond 100 yards with the tang sight anyway.

We used to be able to buy all the good stuff from the US online, but now I hear everything from single action holsters to iron sights being stopped at customs...

That's true. It would be interesting to try. I have thought about loading 458 win mag RN or spitzer type bullets in the single shot just to get the BC performance. But I don't shoot much beyond 100 yards with the tang sight anyway.
The juice definitely isn't worth the squeeze for that. At only 2K fps or so, BC is never really a factor at practical shooting distances for that load.

The juice definitely isn't worth the squeeze for that. At only 2K fps or so, BC is never really a factor at practical shooting distances for that load.

I actually found some Performance Cast 460gr bullets in stock at a gunstore here.

Based on the bullet length I found online (1.121 inches) I ran some data in QL, and 38gr of Norma 200 should be about 1600 fps @ 29.000 psi in my 1886.

This would meet the criteria for class 1 in Sweden (2000 Joule @ 100 meters) and be mild to shoot (compared to my high wall loads)

Have you tried these on game?

Not any 460s, but I have the 425 and 525. White tail deer go down like they're pole axed. And there's very little extraneous tissue damage. I can practically eat right to the hole.

Where I hunt, shooting distances are rarely further than 50 yards, and never further than 100 (if even that). My 6.5x55 Tikka and my 45-70 are my go-to rifles for that environment. Out of the 6.5, I shoot Woodleigh 160s at a touch under 2400 fps. At 40 or 50 yards, that'll turn a deer's heart to jelly, but ruins very little meat otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg