Woodleigh hydros

godwincp

AH enthusiast
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
401
Reaction score
922
Media
14
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Member of
SCI,NRA
Hunted
namibia,zambia, Zimbabwe,Botswana, South Africa
I’m trying to work up a load for my 470 and 416 using the woodleigh 500 and 400 grain solids . After spending $40+ on the woodleigh reloading manual I was disappointed to find virtually no information on the hydro bullets. Can anyone who has experience with these loads please share with me the data and a good starting point. Would be most interested in loads using 3031 or rl15. Thank you
 
Thanks
I tried that but for some
Reason their server didn’t accept my email
I’ll try again
 
On the Woodleigh website info and reference section they recommend reducing the soft point load by 5%. Hope this helps.
 
My .470ne regulates with…

500gr Bullet - Woodleigh for hunting, Hornady for practice,

78.0gr IMR 3031
Foam Wad
Win LR Mag primer

I use the same load for 500gr Hydros and took a tuskless with it July 2024.
 
I’m trying to work up a load for my 470 and 416 using the woodleigh 500 and 400 grain solids . After spending $40+ on the woodleigh reloading manual I was disappointed to find virtually no information on the hydro bullets. Can anyone who has experience with these loads please share with me the data and a good starting point. Would be most interested in loads using 3031 or rl15. Thank you
@godwincp
After conversations with Geoff at Woodleigh re his solids and hydros he said the following.

Due to the design of the hydros the same load
data listed for their PPSP and RNSP can be used for load ing them.
Bob
 
My rifle is regulated with Norma ph rnsn bullets. I emptied one ammo and measured the powder wt. which came to 87.5 grains. Norma used 203 B powder v similar to RL 15. I use this load with same COAL to get similar regulation at 50. I have tweaked the load up by a grain to gain more speed ~2150 fps
 
The Woodleigh Hydro solids hydrostatically stabilized are awesome for deep, straight line penetration on DG buff, elephant, etc.they're designed like modern Kynoch solids but with better stability.

The Woodleigh manual skimps on Hydro data because they're newer specialty, and most folks use standard solid soft data as a baseline same weight, adjust for profile if needed. Hydro solids are very similar ballistically to Woodleigh FMJ solids same weight, similar BC ~0.26–0.34, so published solid loads are safe starting points.

For .470 NE 500gr Hydro solid

IMR 3031: Many love it 78–80gr with Dacron filler 2gr is common for 2,150 fps Ken Owen PH favorite. Start 76gr, work up in 1gr steps.

RL 15: 84–88gr is reported e.g., 87gr for 2,150–2,200 fps in some doubles. Start 82–84gr, watch pressure.

Norma data for 500gr FMJ 84–86gr RL-15 equivalents, but cross check with your rifle.

For .416 Rigby 400gr Hydro solid

IMR 3031 Not common most use slower powders H4350 RL19 H4831 for 2,350–2,400 fps.

RL-15: 92–97gr e.g., 96gr H4350 equiv 2,350–2,400 fps. Start 90–92gr, work up.

Federal Norma data for 400gr solids 95–100gr slower powders, but RL-15 can work mid range.

Casual take Start 5–10% below published solid data e.g., 75gr MR 3031 for .470, 85gr RL-15 for .416, use magnum primers Fed 215M, no filler unless needed for position. Chrono every step, watch for pressure hard bolt lift, flattened primers. Hydro solids act like FMJ solids, so no big differences safe to use solid loads as base.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,922
Members
169,643
Latest member
xs88club
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top