Win M70: Quick release scope mounts and rings

I have an update that may be helpful if you have a current Model 70 magnum action and are considering Warne bases.

At the time I'm posting this, if you search the Warne website for bases for "Model 70 Post '64 Magnum-Action w/.330 RHS, .375", you'll get a single result: "M902/802M". The picture shows a front base with a single slot. I thought it that's all they had, and it looked pretty much the same as the Leupold bases in terms of where the slots are positioned on the receiver. I've tried the Leupold bases and they don't let me put the scope far enough back.

Some more digging on this forum showed me pictures like one in this thread, with a Warne front base with two slots, which extends slightly over the open part of the receiver. I sent Warne an email yesterday evening and got this response first thing this morning:

"The M902 front base comes in two configurations, A single slot version and a double slot version...
The current Winchester Mag 70 bases are the double slot front base. Although our website shows the otherwise."

I found the bases in stock at a dealer in Canada, mentioned that to the Warne rep, and he advised that I check with the dealer because sometimes they have older stock. It turns out the dealer has the current model, which will provide the extension I need for proper eye relief.

I hope that Warne updates the picture on their website for this, but I am very happy with the quick and thorough answers and advice they provided. I certainly wouldn't have figured this out without digging on here and asking Warne about it.

Who has them in Canada as I have the same issue?

If you're interested in fixed, I can sell my used Talley integral extension rings. They are great rings but I want to go QD and have two scopes for this rifle.

I have an update that may be helpful if you have a current Model 70 magnum action and are considering Warne bases.

At the time I'm posting this, if you search the Warne website for bases for "Model 70 Post '64 Magnum-Action w/.330 RHS, .375", you'll get a single result: "M902/802M". The picture shows a front base with a single slot. I thought it that's all they had, and it looked pretty much the same as the Leupold bases in terms of where the slots are positioned on the receiver. I've tried the Leupold bases and they don't let me put the scope far enough back.

Some more digging on this forum showed me pictures like one in this thread, with a Warne front base with two slots, which extends slightly over the open part of the receiver. I sent Warne an email yesterday evening and got this response first thing this morning:

"The M902 front base comes in two configurations, A single slot version and a double slot version...
The current Winchester Mag 70 bases are the double slot front base. Although our website shows the otherwise."

I found the bases in stock at a dealer in Canada, mentioned that to the Warne rep, and he advised that I check with the dealer because sometimes they have older stock. It turns out the dealer has the current model, which will provide the extension I need for proper eye relief.

I hope that Warne updates the picture on their website for this, but I am very happy with the quick and thorough answers and advice they provided. I certainly wouldn't have figured this out without digging on here and asking Warne about it.
I contacted Warne about this very same thing a couple years ago, and they sent me a single slot front to replace the double slot.

Here's my 2 scope setup now with the Warne extension base and QD rings. That little bit of adjustment backwards on the 3-9x scope makes all the difference for me to get comfortable with it.

One could argue that a 2-7x would cover essentially what I can do with a 3-9 and a 1-4, but I don't think it would work for me. The new model VX Freedom 2-7 would fit, but the distance from the base of the bell to the end of the eyepiece is 0.58" shorter in the 2-7 and the stated eye relief is the same. The two scopes I've got here both allow a great fit for me.

70.jpg

I know it’s not pretty…but if you are into function- Picatiny Rail is the most solid and repeatable base that there is. DOD has tested it for decades and nothing comes close.

For mounts, LaRue makes QD rings that are adjustable and are the most consistent QD system on the market. I’ve used them on belt fed machine guns in the sand and they just plain work. The Marine Corps chose them for their ACOG mounts.

I know it’s not pretty…but if you are into function- Picatiny Rail is the most solid and repeatable base that there is. DOD has tested it for decades and nothing comes close.

For mounts, LaRue makes QD rings that are adjustable and are the most consistent QD system on the market. I’ve used them on belt fed machine guns in the sand and they just plain work. The Marine Corps chose them for their ACOG mounts.
Thanks. I don't doubt that and I imagine that's why most modern designs use a Pic rail.

I may be exaggerating the concern in my head, but I prefer having the bolt access open, without a rail on top. I was kind of grudging at first even about having the extension base creep over a bit of the open area in the receiver...

Thanks. I don't doubt that and I imagine that's why most modern designs use a Pic rail.

I may be exaggerating the concern in my head, but I prefer having the bolt access open, without a rail on top. I was kind of grudging at first even about having the extension base creep over a bit of the open area in the receiver...
I agree, as would most here I believe. These are two different applications…tactical/military vs hunting/dangerous game. As always, to each his own. Being happy and confident with your equipment is essential.

I am looking for some advice on quick release mounts and rings. These will go on a Winchester Model 70 that I hope to convert to a 404 Jeffery. It is currently a 300 RUM. My plan is to put some sort of low powered (1x5 or 1x6) 30mm scope on this rifle. The gunsmith mentioned going with bigger screws (#8 vs #6, I think) on the mounts, so drilling and tapping the receiver and mounts will be required.

So I guess Leopold, Talley and Warne are the main options for Weaver style mounts and QR rings. I'd like to hear some input for anyone with an opinion on theses, pro or con.

Thanks!
I use Leupold QR rings on my 375 H&H and several other rifles. No problems and if you reinstall in same slots returns to zero. This way if the conditions mandate it or the scope goes pear shaped I can pull the scope in an instant and fall back on the pre zeroed express sights.

I have used Warne and Talley QD rings on both 1" and 30mm scopes. I find the Talleys are a little easier to operate/time and, though steel and strong, are a bit lighter. I also think they provide a bit more fore and aft ajustment of the scopes I use... Leupold, Swaro, and S&B.

I am switching to Talley mounts on almost all my rifles.

I use Talley, have had them on 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag.

Just about to source some Talley bases for the 1952 Pre64 Mod 70 375H&H I just bought.

I am looking for some advice on quick release mounts and rings. These will go on a Winchester Model 70 that I hope to convert to a 404 Jeffery. It is currently a 300 RUM. My plan is to put some sort of low powered (1x5 or 1x6) 30mm scope on this rifle. The gunsmith mentioned going with bigger screws (#8 vs #6, I think) on the mounts, so drilling and tapping the receiver and mounts will be required.

So I guess Leopold, Talley and Warne are the main options for Weaver style mounts and QR rings. I'd like to hear some input for anyone with an opinion on theses, pro or con.

Thanks!
Talley sells mounts already drilled for the 8 screws and provides the screws so all you need to do is redrill and retap the existing holes. I'd be surprised if Alaska didn't offer the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg