Wild Lion Hunt

I’m not sure when this became the Dalton and York thread. There is a lot of positive signs from Dalton and York. It doesn’t change that they went from unknown to big name in under 5 years and are a relatively new outfitter. I considered my few posts on their areas and operation neutral and objective prior to now. If Dalton is willing to write a lie against me (that the search function easily shows a lie) and unwilling to correct himself that tells me a lot of who he is. This is a lot of hearsay that could be written but it means nothing. It is a fact they are a newer outfitter and less than 2 years ago was a dispute that delayed hunting in their primary area. If he thinks advising hunters to ask how long an outfitter holds the hunting rights to an area is a bad question to ask I’d love to hear why.
He never said it was a bad idea, he just called you out on the things you deliberately implied; and since your tired of it being the D&Y thread…..

I invite you to add something of use to this thread and post a hunt that meets the OP’s needs as you are yet to do.

Also you mention the Omay thing about it bringing uncertainty to peoples hunts - I was one of this people and they handled it with upmost professionalism…. Again it affected me and not you, and I’m 100% happy with how it turned out.
 
Last edited:
That’s not an unfair statement. However they went from an outfitter I was relatively neutral on but thought were doing the right things to an outfitter I’d never consider a hunt with all due to one post written with intent to discredit me rather than address a fact. The way things are responded to can create very different outcomes.
I don’t think your presence in camp will be missed and judging by how far out their hunts are booked and how little quota they have left open that they need your business anyway.
 
He never said it was a bad idea, he just called you out on the things you deliberately implied; and since your tired of it being the D&Y thread…..

I invite you to add something of use to this thread and post a hunt that meets the OP’s needs as you are yet to do.

Also you mention the Omay thing about it bringing uncertainty to peoples hunts - I was one of this people and they handled it with upmost professionalism…. Again it affected me and not you, and I’m 100% happy with how it turned out.
He said I’ve brought the contract issue in the Omay up frequently when I’ve never brought it up prior to this thread. He insinuated I’ve been spreading misinformation “as you have very little knowledge of how there’s things transpired.” I’ve made no attempt to provide details of the event. I stated that it occurred. Dalton called that hearsay instead of an inconvenient truth because it is not good for marketing purposes. He can call me out on statements I’ve made but creating statements to call me out to discredit what I’ve wrote is something different.

You @deewayne2003 quoted what Dalton himself says are incorrect rates. They are also well below market daily rates for a lion hunt. That led to a lot of this discussion. I’m glad you had a good hunt during that year, but I doubt you knew to ask how long they held the concession. I’ve wrote it in any post about choosing a concession area to verify how long they hold the concession. That’s not limited to D&Y. If you choose to book knowing there is a chance they could lose concession that’s fine, but it’s a valid question to ask to avoid what could be an unpleasant surprise on any concession area. Especially if booking 2 or 3 years out with an outfitter that’s only been around slightly longer than that.

Your Africa experience is limited to one hosted trip. You might not realize it based on your limited experience but choosing a lion hunt is really choosing a proper concession and the right outfitter. Suggesting a lion hunt in a concession that was recently turned over for unknown reasons with a PH from a foreign country raises red flags that should be investigated. Suggesting a lion hunt for October is also questionable. I can’t decide if you can’t recognize advice or simply choose not to. There’s nothing wrong with your suggestion except the rates you apparently incorrectly quoted raises some questions. You might not realize it either one of the members commenting was caught in a very similar situation and it ended very poorly for him. There are very few reputable hunts available that meet the OPs needs in April 2025 for this year. Most that do are suspect. Late season following an unsuccessful hunt or cancellation could be a very different situation. I have no recommendations to make because there are none but I can recognize a circumstance that could lead to a bad situation in a concession area.
 
Prices change as others have said, but even with the price change the hunt would still have met the OP’s objective……

Still waiting for you to use you infinite experience to offer up a hunt that meets the OP’s objective; but rather than wait foryou to do that after 3 requests I’ll just enjoy the option of the ignore button….. After 5 years on the forum, your the first member I’ve used it on.

Good day sir
 
I don’t think your presence in camp will be missed and judging by how far out their hunts are booked and how little quota they have left open that they need your business anyway.
I highly doubt I will miss Dalton’s presence in camp either. However, from the number of available buffalo and leopard hunts he posted for this year I don’t think alienating any potential client or making an enemy is in his interest.
 
Prices change as others have said, but even with the price change the hunt would still have met the OP’s objective……

Still waiting for you to use you infinite experience to offer up a hunt that meets the OP’s objective; but rather than wait foryou to do that after 3 requests I’ll just enjoy the option of the ignore button….. After 5 years on the forum, your the first member I’ve used it on.

Good day sir
My question if you can’t recognize advice or choose not to has been answered.
 
I'm chuckling because your basis is judged off this tread 375Fox. I met York in 2017 when I booked a hunt with CMS Safaris. My friend and I flew to Harare overnighted at Amanzi Lodge woke up the next morning only for Buzz to tell me that he was going on holiday and would put me in good hands with a young PH named York Mare. Talk about a first impression from CMS Safaris to a hunter that had never been to Zimbabwe. I put my best foot forward and have never looked back I'm heading tomorrow to do a lion/leopard/buffalo hunt with York. We have gone 6/8 on leopard and 1/1 on lion since our first hunt in 2017. My hunts are never about the kill but the camaraderie that York his trackers Sonny Boy & Zvitto and I have developed over these hunts. If they ran a unreputable business do you think I would keep going back? They are very fair with pricing and give you an unbelievable hunting experience. I've been to five different concessions where they hunt and have had nothing but positive experiences. Dalton is as good of a PH as York. People don't let a person like 375Fox ruin someone's reputation. Learn from my experience the largest outfitter in Zimbabwe is not always the best. Go with Dalton & York you wont regret it!
 
I'm chuckling because your basis is judged off this tread 375Fox. I met York in 2017 when I booked a hunt with CMS Safaris. My friend and I flew to Harare overnighted at Amanzi Lodge woke up the next morning only for Buzz to tell me that he was going on holiday and would put me in good hands with a young PH named York Mare. Talk about a first impression from CMS Safaris to a hunter that had never been to Zimbabwe. I put my best foot forward and have never looked back I'm heading tomorrow to do a lion/leopard/buffalo hunt with York. We have gone 6/8 on leopard and 1/1 on lion since our first hunt in 2017. My hunts are never about the kill but the camaraderie that York his trackers Sonny Boy & Zvitto and I have developed over these hunts. If they ran a unreputable business do you think I would keep going back? They are very fair with pricing and give you an unbelievable hunting experience. I've been to five different concessions where they hunt and have had nothing but positive experiences. Dalton is as good of a PH as York. People don't let a person like 375Fox ruin someone's reputation. Learn from my experience the largest outfitter in Zimbabwe is not always the best. Go with Dalton & York you wont regret it!
If you guys want to keep making personal attacks on me I’ll continue. Dalton’s and his client’s continued replies have cemented my opinion in this thread but this is not the only source of information. York has a good reputation as a PH and it appears everyone likes him and his personality. I’ve only heard positive things about him. Dalton has a reputation as a hard hunter but also being a difficult individual not for everyone. I never wrote a negative thing about them prior to this thread. I wrote they were a newer outfitter but haven’t proven the stability of more established names yet with the few years they’ve been in business. That’s a fair statement. I thought the positive things they appear to be doing as a company and the large number of positive hunt reports balanced out the negative talk about Dalton. This thread and my comments would have ended if Dalton just walked back his incorrect statements that I didn’t make, but he didn’t. That confirms the things I’ve heard about his personality to me. Anyone else can decide what they want and look into as many references as they feel necessary.
 
I'm chuckling because your basis is judged off this tread 375Fox. I met York in 2017 when I booked a hunt with CMS Safaris. My friend and I flew to Harare overnighted at Amanzi Lodge woke up the next morning only for Buzz to tell me that he was going on holiday and would put me in good hands with a young PH named York Mare. Talk about a first impression from CMS Safaris to a hunter that had never been to Zimbabwe. I put my best foot forward and have never looked back I'm heading tomorrow to do a lion/leopard/buffalo hunt with York. We have gone 6/8 on leopard and 1/1 on lion since our first hunt in 2017. My hunts are never about the kill but the camaraderie that York his trackers Sonny Boy & Zvitto and I have developed over these hunts. If they ran a unreputable business do you think I would keep going back? They are very fair with pricing and give you an unbelievable hunting experience. I've been to five different concessions where they hunt and have had nothing but positive experiences. Dalton is as good of a PH as York. People don't let a person like 375Fox ruin someone's reputation. Learn from my experience the largest outfitter in Zimbabwe is not always the best. Go with Dalton & York you wont regret it!
Thank you for sharing your experience. I also love hunting with Sonny Boy & Zvitto! They along with York's personality and expertise make me want to go every year with them.
 
This thread makes me appreciate how fortunate I am to hunt with Alan Vincent, someone who is widely respected by clients and especially by other PH’s.

I first hunted with his father, Roy, in 1983 and Alan was a 10 year old running barefoot around camp. Roy has been retired for many years now and Alan has been hunting professionally for 34 years across Zimbabwe, Tanzania & Cameroon. I leave in 2 weeks to hunt with him on the Savé Valley Conservancy. It’ll be my 4th hunt with him in the last 5 years.
 
Maybe I missed the hunt report, but rather curious how this wild lion hunt played out @Rockwall205
 
Maybe I missed the hunt report, but rather curious how this wild lion hunt played out @Rockwall205
Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip my wife has had a reoccurrence with ovarian cancer. She is a brave woman doing way better than I am …
 
Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip my wife has had a reoccurrence with ovarian cancer. She is a brave woman doing way better than I am …
I’m very sorry to hear that. I hope she makes a full recovery.
 
Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip my wife has had a reoccurrence with ovarian cancer. She is a brave woman doing way better than I am …
Just lifted her up in prayer my friend!
 
Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip my wife has had a reoccurrence with ovarian cancer. She is a brave woman doing way better than I am …
I’m sorry to read of your wife’s relapse. You’re both in my thoughts for her to beat this. You did the right thing.
 
Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip my wife has had a reoccurrence with ovarian cancer. She is a brave woman doing way better than I am …
I’m sorry to hear, thoughts are with y’all.
 
I think you miss read what I was saying or maybe I should have been more precise in my verbiage since people get so up in arms about lion hunts in any forum thread.

As for decedent accommodation, I was referring to places like Tanzania & Namibia that have private/exclusive rights and are seen as “truly wild” that friends of mine with much deeper pockets hunt and the photos of the lodges are awe inspiring.

As far as the issues with D&Y in the Omay, I got caught in the middle of that as my July 2024 hunt was booked 1.5 years out, when a certain Zim outfitter posted on this forum that he had “acquired” the rights to the concession I was booked on and that anyone with hunts booked for Omay should contact him….

I thought that was very poor form on his part and caused unnecessary drama that hung a dark cloud of uncertainty over my hunt for months.

That played out in court and D&Y won the drawn out court battle and I hunted the Omay with them.

As far as other issues with Chewore… I don’t have any information or standing on that so will not comment, but it is Zimbabwe and the administration of hunting areas in Zim have been charged with various improprieties in the tenure process including the Omay issue.

Lion hunting is something out of reach for me at the moment(I need a new tractor more than a lion hunt) so granted I don’t research it heavily, but my entire reason for posting on this thread in the first place was to mention that there is a sub $50K option for exportable lion as the OP asked for which is factual and immediately get hit with anything but what the OP was asking for as counter examples.

Again I’m just posting info for the OP who asked for $50K and under hunt, then people start posting all sorts of info about hunts that are 2-3x the OP’s budget.

Honestly I’ll probably avoid lion hunting, seems like a sewing circle anytime someone posts about it, CBL brings up a shit storm of controversy and apparently any lion hunt under $100K is not a “Good lion”
I never listen except when I see people cross the line in my opinion burying people with their philosophy about their lion hunting ethics which discourages people…I don’t let that go unchallenged my friend…I go right back at them hard!!!
 
Guys,

Just for shits and giggles! I just quoted a hunter for a lion in Zambia. 1x1 21 days to include day fees, concession fee, licensure and dip/pack plus the lion trophy fee and the first buffalo trophy fee at $148,000. I'd be hard pressed to find a quality lion hunt these days under $100,000.

Mark
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,177
Members
169,505
Latest member
CharliL771
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top