Why no lever-action rifle for Elephants?

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
A more detailed description of what I’ve posted here.
I call my .375H&H cz550 my Elephant gun as I did I with my .458wm, in reality the only big game I’m likely to try and take is buffalo. Lion would be nice but we don’t have either in Australia.
So I still call it an elephant gun for now.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Now all we need is someone to make a lever action double in a magnum big bore and heads will surely explode.

TheWhitetailNut

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Ontario, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, New Mexico, Namibia
What is truely a shame is that the savage model 1899 was never offered in a long enough action to handle large rounds.

That would be HUGE! I've always been a big model 99 man, but I'm not sure this is a sensible application. Gotta Admit, I'd love to see it though.

Skinnersblade

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
That would be HUGE! I've always been a big model 99 man, but I'm not sure this is a sensible application. Gotta Admit, I'd love to see it though.

It's possible I've recently learned of a round developed in the sixties for use in the model 600 called the .350 Remington magnum. It will cycle in .308 length actions making it short enough for the model 99 action. That would be a truely devastating rifle for North American game.

Skinnersblade

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
If you can convince savage to build them all take the very first left handed variant off the line.

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
I thought bell used very small calibers to kill hunderds of elephants, so it may depend how cool you are and being able to thread the needle. it matters little to me as I have no desire to shoot a elephant.

7x57Joe

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I believe Savage made an experimental frame large enough for the 30'06 but canned the idea. As much as I adore my 99s, I don't think I would ever want to hunt elephants with them. Come to think of it, I wouldn't even hunt lion or tigers with a 22 Hi Power as was done in the early 20th century.:)

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
It's possible I've recently learned of a round developed in the sixties for use in the model 600 called the .350 Remington magnum. It will cycle in .308 length actions making it short enough for the model 99 action. That would be a truely devastating rifle for North American game.

See if you can find a Browning BLR in .358 Winchester, or a 325 Winchester Short Magnum.

Chago

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Bolt actions are very flat and because of this the recoil goes straight back. Or should as much as possible. Levers have a very high comb which makes it comfortable and allows your eye to quickly align with the sights. But that high comb allows for more vertical muzzle rise on the recoil. Hence even a 3030 still rises a bit and you need to re acquire your target. I couldn't imagine how bad that would be on a heavy DG caliber. Jesus that would send the muzzle to the sky. Lol

Kenneth McMillan

AH senior member
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International
Hunted
Norway, Scotland
Browning BLR can be done in .458 win mag, .416 Ruger and .375 Ruger.
If you start with a WSM platform you have many wildcats to play with also, up to, if it fits, the .470 Rhino. This round was designed for AR-10’s and gets bloody close, if not the same, as a .470 nitro.

I think someone mentioned be savage 99 earlier. These can be done in .375/284 and .416/284.

The BLR is one of my favourite rifles. I don't know what gunsmith would be able to make it for me.

Kenneth McMillan

AH senior member
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International
Hunted
Norway, Scotland
Thank you. I have checked the aria ballistics website. I will be calling them later.

wvhunt

AH member
Reaction score
I just picked up a Marlin 1895 SBL, 45-70. I'll probably never shoot anything larger and more dangerous than our average sized black bear, but I like the idea of that big bullet and the large holes it makes.

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
"I like the idea of that big bullet and the large holes it makes."

So do I and many thousands of other 45-70 and 45-90 shooters.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Because if it jams they will stomp on you. Imagine the lawsuits if that happens.
Is it because there is just no time enough demand? Not commercially viable.
How do lever actions rate for reliability opposed to the CRF or even the Blaser R8 etc.
CBH
They make a long action BLR that would convert into a nice 458 or 375 ruger. My PH doesn't like the R8 Merkel after seeing a couple fail on DG hunts and he had to back up the clients. I don't know what the failure was but he was thinking of barring the R8 from his hunts.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
For Donald Trump, now it is time to follow the foodprints of Theodor Roosevelt and kill an Elephant with a lever gun.

A 30-30 is appropriate, I think….

HWL
Hwl
Donald trump wouldn't need a rifle to kill an elephant. He could talk it to death then deny doing it saying it was fake news. If he was even an eight of the man FDR was the USA would be happy. Just my 2 cents worth

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
CBH in New South Wales.
Either I have failed completely to convey the fact that the current Winchester 1886 in .45-90/.458 2.4 ALREADY kills ele with 450 grain bullets at 2150 fps and that so does the .45-70 with slightly SLOWER bullets, or you just skimmed over my reply. Nothing requires a 500 grain bullet to kill an ele.
And there are the 45-110 cartridges. IMHO, the .45-90 performance is enough for the hunter, but each hunter can and must make up his own mind. I read one report where a hunter used his .460 Weatherby to stop an escaping ele at 200 yards. OK by me if it is legal.
The professional hunter that may be expected to stop a charge has reason to use any rifle of his choice that will do that job. Why not a .600 NE if he can handle it and it is legal?

In addition to the standard 1886 .458 rifles, several variants have been made in 50 caliber for Alaskan brown bear. They too should kill an ele.
Modern bullets are a far cry from the old cast 500 grain lead bullets first used to kill bison.

Please consider doing a bit of research on this matter as I can think of nothing else to say.
CBH
Sounds like you dun caught yousef a texican by the tail there boy. They rile real easy. I'd tackle one of them thar pachederms with an '86 in 50/110. That would sure hurt if'n it still had on of them curved steel but plates boy.
If it ain't invented in America they ain't interested.
Let's just say different boats float different people. To each there own as long as they are happy.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Bolt actions are very flat and because of this the recoil goes straight back. Or should as much as possible. Levers have a very high comb which makes it comfortable and allows your eye to quickly align with the sights. But that high comb allows for more vertical muzzle rise on the recoil. Hence even a 3030 still rises a bit and you need to re acquire your target. I couldn't imagine how bad that would be on a heavy DG caliber. Jesus that would send the muzzle to the sky. Lol
? Pretty much just the opposite. The higher the comb and thus straighter the stock, all other things being equal, a rifle has less muzzle climb and usually less perceived recoil. A problem with many earlier bolt actions and lever guns was the greater drop at heel resulting in a lower comb because the rifles were optimized for open sights. A heavy caliber Mauser from the thirties - or an early American SxS shotgun for that matter (the Brits had it figured out) - can be punishing due to that angled comb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Publisherka

Latest profile posts

Rob404 wrote on Newboomer's profile.
I,d like to buy some pistol primers if they available,thanks
Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!